Personalised plate & original drivable?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I am driving into central london today and I checked my personalised plate on the TFL site.

It says My RS3 is over the ULEZ emissions standard which I am sure is wrong however my original plate isn’t ULEZ chargeable.

It seems to me therefore rather than pay extra and have to get a refund from TFL I’d be smarter just to put my original plate back on the car for my trip.

My understanding is that I can do that as the personalised plate is linked to the original and either is fine to use but I just want to be sure before I drive into London.

Thanks.

I'd say no, because you have put new plates on your car and put your old plates on retention!

Easy way to check is put your old reg in here https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax and here https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

I'm saying both will say no so that's what a cop will see if they see you!

PS: when you take your private reg off when changing/selling your car, chances are the old plates will be able to go back on.

Reactions: pburv
I work for a large insurance companies who deal with accidents, claims and the police.

1. You would be looking at £2000.00 fine for using false plates
2. If you are involved in a accident or a ANPR gets you, it will show no insurance.
3. If you tell them you have insurance and its your private plate you will again get fined £2000.00 for using false plates.

Its not worth it.

Reactions: KenL
If your vehicle has a private reg on it then your old (original) plate won’t be linked to any car therefore whatever site/system you enter it into will not link it back to your rs3. Hence will not tell you the correct charge or may give you a false positive. I just did the same for my car and it recognised my old plate and said no charge for ULEZ even though it came back with no car details.

But most / if not all petrol vehicles after 2006 should be compliant with ULEZ.

putting on your original plate will require you informing your insurer (most likely will charge you for admin costs) of the plate change or else your vehicle won’t be insured even though it still kind of it.

My pal has the same car as me can i just use his numberplate so i don’t have to pay tax and insurance

thanks

Reactions: KenL
My pal has the same car as me can i just use his numberplate so i don’t have to pay tax and insurance

thanks
lol don't you just love sarcasm :D

I remember many years back my mate got a speeding ticket through the post, he'd been caught by a static camera and they sent him the fine along with a picture clearly showing his car and reg...he then noticed it was in the Portsmouth area! He lives in the North West!!!...luckily he was on a job in Shell in the NW, so they had a record of his name, car, reg etc. being there at the said date and time.

I then did one better, I got arrested for armed robbery on Christmas eve 2002, someone with the same car as me had used my reg on their car to do an armed robbery on a sainsbury's petrol station close to where I live!!! I honestly thought it was a wind up when they knocked on my door :D I recall saying in the interview "Do you honestly think I'd be stupid enough to do an armed robbery in my own car, in my own town and then leave the car on my drive at the front of my house?" :p