Vibration/Wobble between 2-3k rpm

YannisHBG

Reaction score
Hi there
Car is a 2005 A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro. Symptoms are a wobble (can be felt on the steering wheel) betwen 2000-3000rpm that sort of goes away after 3000rpm and is noticable under load or acceleration. On higher speeds i.e. in 5th gear but still within this rpm range the wobble becomes a vibration that is felt especially through the floor and the passenger seat. Have changed both front driveshafts, rear propshaft damper but no luck. This is driving me crazy any help is appreciated

Have you done the basics like wheel balancing, checked your front hubs for play in the wheel bearings, cleaned the hub face? Is it at the rpm range in every gear or at a certain speed?

Thank you for your reply. Yes wheels are balanced, I even swapped front and rear. When you say check bearings for play, assume you mean with wheels off the ground check for vertical and horizontal movement? In that case yes they have been checked for play (right front one was recently changed). Yes it is in that range in every gear, only difference is that at low speeds it is a wobble whereas at higher speeds it is a vibration....

If it's RPM based then it is usually gearbox / clutch related. Did you check your engine mounts as these can fail causing vibration.

If it's RPM based then it is usually gearbox / clutch related. Did you check your engine mounts as these can fail causing vibration.
No haven't actually but these would be my next guess. Any tips on how to check them effectively?

It can also be exhaust related. I fitted a full Milltek to a Mk 4 Golf and an annoying vibration developed at 1600 - 1800 rpm. Nothing touching the bodywork.

I would also guess at a gearbox or engine mount - possibly the front engine mount as this vibration is detectable via the steering wheel.?