Podgorny

Reaction score
Any help appreciated with this problem but I’d like to ideally get relay information or a wiring or schematic diagram for my car to progress troubleshooting. A3, 2006, 2.0 TDi, DSG.

Defect: Air con doesn’t get cold until driving for several miles at higher speeds.

Troubleshooting so far:
Thought it was low on gas, had a regas and confirmed px all ok.
Noticed the air con fan wasn’t running as it should with air con on, so changed that and although it now ran when the coolant fan kicked in, it wasn’t running when it should.
Thought the fan controller on the coolant fan could be at fault, so changed the coolant fan. Now both fans run as they should for both air con mode cooling and coolant cooling. Still no fix.
Checked air con px switch. Didn’t suspect it as the ECON light is off and econ function operates normally. With px switch unplugged ECON stays on, so switch is ok.
Noticed then that the compressor electromagnetic clutch doesn’t operate. This would explain why it takes ages to get any cold air. When the ECON switch is pressed on and off, there is no noise from the compressor and the engine revs do not change.
Removed the plug from the compressor and there is no voltage there, either with ECON switch on or off, with engine on or off and ignition on or off. So I think there is no voltage to the compressor clutch.
Checked both air con/heater fuses on fuse box in cabin, one permanently puts on ECON light when removed, the other kills power to the HVAC module.
Checked all fuses in engine bay fuse box, all ok, they would be anyway as the fans run ok.
Scanned for fault codes on a reader, no fault codes.
I don’t have Vag com or vcds.

So I suspect either a relay or a wiring defect. However I don’t have a schematic diagram to know whether the hvac module controls the power to the compressor or a relay. Also have searched and the only reference I can find on other Audi’s are the 267 relay behind the fuse box. Haven’t gone in there yet to see if thee is a 267 on this car. I’d like to try changing a relay first if possible to rule that out. Otherwise I’ll take it to an auto electrician as I can’t be ***** trying to chase a fault myself on an old wiring loom. At worst I could always jury rig in new wiring from wherever the signal comes from to new wires & connector.

Any help appreciated as I have very little tolerance of heat and it’s driving me mad!!!

Thanks.

Whereabouts are you located, could look at it for you?

WhatsApp me if of interest.

A bit more info. Think I’ve diagnosed the problem now. I wasn’t fully happy that I’d measured the voltage at the compressor plug correctly as it’s a bit awkward and my multi meter probes aren’t the best for small plugs. So I took the plug off and measured it again today just to be sure. Lo and behold there is 9v at the plug after all.

So I need the compressor changed. Could do that myself but it’s probably better at the garage as they can regas it straight away and deal with any issues. Looks like £350 for the compressor with £132 back for exchange and 2.5 hours work. Unfortunately my preferred garage in Surbiton have a backlog until Sept! Oh well looks like I’ll be boiling after all.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has removed the compressor and successfully swapped out the electromagnetic clutch on these units. Suspect it may be a cheaper option but don’t know if it can done?

Thanks.

A bit more info. Think I’ve diagnosed the problem now. I wasn’t fully happy that I’d measured the voltage at the compressor plug correctly as it’s a bit awkward and my multi meter probes aren’t the best for small plugs. So I took the plug off and measured it again today just to be sure. Lo and behold there is 9v at the plug after all.

So I need the compressor changed. Could do that myself but it’s probably better at the garage as they can regas it straight away and deal with any issues. Looks like £350 for the compressor with £132 back for exchange and 2.5 hours work. Unfortunately my preferred garage in Surbiton have a backlog until Sept! Oh well looks like I’ll be boiling after all.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has removed the compressor and successfully swapped out the electromagnetic clutch on these units. Suspect it may be a cheaper option but don’t know if it can done?

Thanks.

Hi has the centre bolt on the pulley come loose? It was a common thing in the past. If it has its 99% the compressor has chewed up the internals and personally I’d just get it replaced along with the receiver drier. Get the system flushed too but too be honest if a garage is doing it they’ll probably do all that in the 2.5 hours. Make sure they change the receiver drier as if the compressor has chewed and it’s not replaced it’s just a matter of time before the new compressor gets all that lovely swarf and you’re back to square one again.

I genuinely don’t mean to sound all doom and gloom just speaking from experience and a lot of rejected warranty claims for not doing it with the first compressor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk