Fan, Battery, Temp sensor question?

wilko331984

Reaction score
My A3 2.0FSI is stood on the side of the road at the moment with a totally flat battery. Just out of the blue the fan (bigger one of the 2) will not cut off to the point the battery has lost all power. I've bought a new temp sensor for it to see if that's the problem.

The car isn't overheating but it is Smoking ever so slightly now. I've checked for other issues but can't find any. The car runs fine once jump started (apart.from the fan). Was I right in buying a temp sensor to start with?

Tia.

P.S I haven't fitted the sensor yet.

My A3 2.0FSI is stood on the side of the road at the moment with a totally flat battery. Just out of the blue the fan (bigger one of the 2) will not cut off to the point the battery has lost all power. I've bought a new temp sensor for it to see if that's the problem.

The car isn't overheating but it is Smoking ever so slightly now. I've checked for other issues but can't find any. The car runs fine once jump started (apart.from the fan). Was I right in buying a temp sensor to start with?

Tia.

P.S I haven't fitted the sensor yet.
May want to buy a thermostat too if that stuck closed your fan will keep going to cool engine down, and may want to.run some diagnostics, check for fault codes

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: wilko331984
I would try the fan sensor switch first, easiest to change. Having the fault codes read as well may help.

Reactions: wilko331984
If it's the FSI which is an older 8P, it could be the fan pack, these are prone to issues, but you need to diagnose properly 1st.

Did you solve the problem by changing the sensor? At me it stops reading the temperature of the board and the fans turn on after I light. I replaced the whole body with the 2 thermostats and the sensor, after a month after the problem appeared we changed the sensor under the radiator. By hooking up a diagnostic device and everything works normally in 6-7 days.