Knocking noise on suspension

BigDaz

Power On
Reaction score
Website
www.id-performance.co.uk
I have a knocking coming from my front offside suspension, I ahve had a look & cant see anything loose / broken. It sounds like it may be coming from the strut top somewhere - Is there a part in there that wears ? if so what is it & where can I get another one? Or any other weak point suggestions welcome.
1.9 TDI 2001 BTW
Cheers
Daz

check to see if the suspension spring has snapped at the top or not seated correctly in its cap. i had this on mine and the spring had snapped

when does it make the noise? going over bumps? when turning on the spot? turning while moving? or all the time?

Noise is only when going over bump - fine on smooth dual carriageway.
I cant seem to get it make any noise at standstill with wheel off, Is there anyway to tell if the wishbone bushes are shot? I cant see any play while waggling it or the steering rack balljoints which has led me to suspect the damper or further up.

Daz

jack the front of the car up and look at the rear bush on the wish bone and see if you can get it to move up and down with a flat head screwdriver or pri bar plus you will see if the rubber split also with the balljoints if theres a slight bit of play when you rock the wheel side to side and up and down then you need to change them as for the top mounts ive just changed mine and without doing a full check for anything else it turned out to be a ball joint so i changed both £11 each

Fitting those rear bushes on the other hand might cost you abit more than the bushes them selves! :(

I have a knocking problem and have replaced the top strut mounts, the tie bars, rear wish bone bushes! As for ball joints they seem fine, so I am going for my roll bar bushes as my next step in curing the knocking! :(

Fingers crossed!

fair coment but as for the the balljoint untill we change them they seemed in good shape but after no more knocking....good luck let as now if you get rid of your knocking

Where can I get new wishbones? - other than Audi....
I would rather replace the whole thing that muck about with individual bushes and ball joints. vag-parts & eurocar parts dont list then.

Cheers

Daz

eurocar parts is were i got mine from and ball joints but you must tell them its an audi S3 QUATTRO as when i got mine they were wrong they just put in A3 QUATTRO witch is different

Mine has developed a knocking from the rear. I understand it could be the suspension bushes. I'm not mechanically minded so will take it to MTM as soon as I get chance. I'll report back with diagnosis and cost to fix.

Most commonly (on the S3's) it is the drop links from the strut to the ARB.

You cant really feel the play in the ball joints until the car is jacked up and the load is off.

I've been through 2 sets in 18 months.

I'm not saying its that but after changing ALL bushes, new ball joints and full strut top mount assembly, it turned out to the drop links AGAIN.

Cheapest part as well :(

Well have ordered a new wishbone to start with (saves changing bushes etc),
Can you get solid droplinks for the TDI ? ( had some on my Scoob - made a huge difference)

BigDaz said:
Well have ordered a new wishbone to start with (saves changing bushes etc),
Can you get solid droplinks for the TDI ? ( had some on my Scoob - made a huge difference)

Umm, you can't have solid drop links as the ARB and strut have to move.

I think you may mean rose jointed links, Andymac off uk-mkivs.net i think was looking into this as he was sick of changing them on his 4-motion...

Stewart said:
Umm, you can't have solid drop links as the ARB and strut have to move.

I think you may mean rose jointed links, Andymac off uk-mkivs.net i think was looking into this as he was sick of changing them on his 4-motion...

Ok, bad description, Metal links with poly bushes / rosejoints at each end. :)

Daz

I beleive demon tweeks do universal fittment one in there catalogue, you just need the length and fixing sizes.

Jaywoo_A3 said:
I beleive demon tweeks do universal fittment one in there catalogue, you just need the length and fixing sizes.

From memory, I think that was what Andy had done/was going to do..

Get some universal rosejoints and cut/weld/sleeve the link bar...

Shouldnt be too hard to do, piece of cake in fact.

EDIT: Ahh, just remembered why he didnt go for it in the end...The maintenance of the rose joint (not sealed).

Just replaced the Offside Front rollbar drop-link and cured the knocking noise. Easy DIY job.

Well, replaced the wishbone, felt better but still knocking.
Replaced the droplinks and Anti rollbar bushes on Saturday,
Sucess - no more noise and more positive feel to the handling :)
The bushes looked well worn (big hole as opposed to wee hole)
*Quick hint* use a longer bolt to get the clamps up tight in position before removing it and fitting the original bolt - saved me loads of grief.

Daz

does anyone have any images of the offending items - mines doing the same so will get the parts and fix it this week hopefully

I was looking at my wish bones on my S3 and they need replacing, £197 for both!!! Is that normal? Euro Car Parts, Audi is £102 each.

Nick it might be worth just having the bushes replaced in the wishbone, rather that replacing the whole unit! That will bring the cost down massively!! ;)

Jampublic said:
Nick it might be worth just having the bushes replaced in the wishbone, rather that replacing the whole unit! That will bring the cost down massively!! ;)

Don't I need some crazy ton press to do that?

I believe so! You could get the car up on axel stands, take off the wishbones then take them to garage! Just a thought!

Jampublic said:
I believe so! You could get the car up on axel stands, take off the wishbones then take them to garage! Just a thought!

I was thinking that too, any ideas of where to go?