What Disc size?

BigDaz

Power On
Reaction score
Website
www.id-performance.co.uk
Just picked up my A3 1.9 TDI 130 sport 2001 at the weekend, done a couple of things: Few new badges, 18" RS6's fitted and S3 type spoiler painted awaiting fitting.
BUT I am not happy with the brakes compared to my previous mount (S4) and I want to replace the front discs. My local motor factors claims there are 3 differnt types listed for this year (51 plate). 280mm and 288mm + another.
Anyone know hwat size they are and any recommendations on pad type? Its going to be remapped within a very short time so would like an improvement before then.
Cheers

Daz

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe yours should be 288mm which is the same as the Golf GTi.
If you are on 288mm, then i would recommend a cheap upgrade to 312mm (S3, TT, Golf 4-motion) as all you will require are the caliper carriers and the disks, you can use your existing calipers.
There is always a set on ebay floating about...

thats intresting, this an easy job to do? cos my brakes can seem a bit cra at times and was thinking of upgrading

theres no need to spend that much money though!

your tdi will be on 288mm discs, so all you need to do it change the carriers and discs. would be an idea to fit new pads while your at it too.

just take off the calliper and disc like a normal disc/pad change, whip out the two bolts securing the calliper carrier, and replace it for the 312mm carrier.

bolt it all back up with the bigger discs, then stand back and feel manly looking at a good job well done.

Prawn said:
theres no need to spend that much money though!

your tdi will be on 288mm discs, so all you need to do it change the carriers and discs. would be an idea to fit new pads while your at it too.

just take off the calliper and disc like a normal disc/pad change, whip out the two bolts securing the calliper carrier, and replace it for the 312mm carrier.

bolt it all back up with the bigger discs, then stand back and feel manly looking at a good job well done.

my callipers had seen better days and when i added it all together
kit was good value.

Pagid pads (VW / Audi spec) are approx £60
Discs approx £60
and a set of carriers can be £100 ish

so for extra £50 got brand new shiny(grey) callipers and carriers.

cheers guys thats one job i'll be looking at doin, think i'll do this when the pads/discs need changing which i reckin wont b far off!

Does anyone have this upgrade on their car?
Does it make a noticable difference to the stopping power, as the pad size and the caliper size are the same and only the surface area of the disc has increased, so its the same braking area even though the disc is bigger.

Unless the caliper carriers hold the pads at a greater angle, in which case, still the same pad, but it contacts a larger area of disc (due to it being a bigger disc), in which case it should give a better performance.

Or is that nonsense?

Dave_Bayern said:
Unless the caliper carriers hold the pads at a greater angle, in which case, still the same pad, but it contacts a larger area of disc (due to it being a bigger disc), in which case it should give a better performance.

Or is that nonsense?

i changed mine last year after buying car and thinking 288's looked lost behine the 17" S-lines (RS-TT's as they're known on here)

yes correct about your thinking Dave_B, Emmo - the leverage is also increased making braking easier with less effort and increased surface area run cooler.

My advice is buy OEM pads - they're Pagid fast road and well worth the extra cash

the hardest bit is getting callipers off (2 x 19mm bolts) and getting disc off conical centre of hub.

after that changing callipers is pi55 easy

Emmo said:
Does anyone have this upgrade on their car?
Does it make a noticable difference to the stopping power, as the pad size and the caliper size are the same and only the surface area of the disc has increased, so its the same braking area even though the disc is bigger.

Yup - done it to my TDI - feels better than the old setup (but that could be the fact i replaced pads and discs at the same time).

looks better as well imo

Dave_Bayern said:
OEM pads from VW's are Textar, are Audi ones really Pagid?

yep. says it on inside of pad. Kit i bought had tham and also, my mate just bought a set - cost him £61 but IMO thats not bad and are fast road type