Is Using Bluetooth While Driving Illegal Too?

emzino

Reaction score
Hi. Now we all know that holding the phone to your ear while driving is forbidden and the use of the ear piece too it seems.

How about having one of those Bluetooths attached to your ear, are they illegal? I haven't got one yet but little birdy tells me I might get one for my birthday next week but rather give my mum the headsup to say don't bother.

So, technically speaking, is it legal or illegal?

Thanks in advance :)

The earpiece is not illegal - blootooth is the type of wireless connection you get between your phone and the car or your phone and the earpiece.
Its legal as long as your not handling the phone while your in control of the car. (imoa)

off topic - how are those pedals holding up in your car ? do they get dirty quickly ? difficult to clean etc ?

It is not illegal. As long as you don't physically touch the phone handset to answer/make/hangup calls.

Ah ok cool. I'll be getting one then. This one to be precise, check it out, just a very short demo with amazing results:

http://www.jawbone.com/meet.html

As for the pedals, I still love them! Anyone who notices them loves it lol. Got really really good feedback! They do get dirty however but are extremely EASY to clean. Wet wipe with dry tissue and it's back to shiny new again :)

Worthy investment my friend. Get yourself some!

Amazing that its illeagal to press a button on the phone to answer a call but not to say turn on a demister, which ok is a saftey feature. So is all non-esential button pressing against the rules.
I know some scoobies spray water over the inter cooler via a button that aint essential to that should be illegal to press that button.

Illegal to press a button on mobile while driving.
Not-illegal to select a track on the iPod while driving.
Hmmmm.

Next they're going to say we can't eat our Big Mac and fries while driving.

What's this world coming to :faint: that's why i got an Auto box ;)

(You know I'm joking) :yes:

It is legal. You may not hold the phone in your hand whilst driving. If the phone is in a cradle(and you have a handsfree device connected), you may press a button on the phone(or handsfree device) to answer the call. You could also set the phone to auto answer which means that you don't even need to touch the phone. It is no different to pressing a button on the radio to change stations, or to alter the volume.

Many thanks to everyones input for clearing that up. Just gotta wait till July 4th for those Jawbones Bluetooths to come back in stock and i'll be getting one.

Just that I had a debate with my mum. I didn't wanna buy one as I thought it was a waste of money but she said what if its an emergency call and I would have to answer there and then.
It went on but she had a very good point so, time to invest in one :)

Many thanks again :) Much appreciated!

Stringster said:
Illegal to press a button on mobile while driving.
Not-illegal to select a track on the iPod while driving.
Hmmmm.

I have heard that it will be illegal to change tracks / volume / channel on your radio / cd player unless you have steering column controls at some stage in the not too distant future... but that could be a complete porky from someone stirring?

I'd like to see them police all this can't touch anything rubbish. Why don't they just issue every new born with a life time supply of cotton wool and have done with it? I don't want to die or worse get hurt and have to be in pain (can't stand blood and pain!). But were not completely stupid! Most of us have some common sense.

atc said:
I'd like to see them police all this can't touch anything rubbish. Why don't they just issue every new born with a life time supply of cotton wool and have done with it? I don't want to die or worse get hurt and have to be in pain (can't stand blood and pain!). But were not completely stupid! Most of us have some common sense.

Before long the government will decide the use of 'common sense' is also illegal.

bravepilot said:
I have heard that it will be illegal to change tracks / volume / channel on your radio / cd player unless you have steering column controls at some stage in the not too distant future... but that could be a complete porky from someone stirring?

Personal i would think so but you never know they may bring in a rule that if you remove your hand(s) from the wheel for anything other than to perform a driving nessesary action they will shaft you with 3 points and a fine.

This whole mobile phone thing is soo bitty its untrue. I dont see why it should be illegal to accept an incoming call with pressing one button. I can understand someone dialing a number is dangerous but pressing a button no way. You would think that the cars that are equipped with voice activation are taking the drivers attention away from the road ahead as he is thinking then saying the number or contact name or radio station ETC ETC

Just like to thank everyone for the response. It's made things much clearer to me now and also spawned an interesting debate to why using a phone is illegal yet taking your eye off the road to mess around with your ICE is not.

The best solution for me was this:

00000001rz8.jpg

-No need for craddle (you can have you phone in your pocket)
-No wires
-Voice dial, answer within a click
-Caller ID on mirror
-Stereo sound

And an earset for private conversations

dsc06706pf8.jpg

Its a rear view mirror with integrated handsfree for bluetooth enabled phones. It has stereo speakers at the back and a microphone in front. It clips to the OEM mirror. It connects wireless to your phone as soon you enter(or get close to) the car, no matter where the phone is (pocket, suitcase, belt, etc). So you can answer calls, voice dial, redial, callback without even touching your phone, head always up.
Even more, if your phone is a PDA too, you can send voice commands through the mic and get spoken info about your agenda for example (depending wich software you have on the PDA)
I think the best option if your car doesnt have OEM phone system.