Massive amounts of tar on rims, best way to remove?

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
Morning people.
So the council resurfaced the road the other day and it was unavoidable but to drive on it while still warm.
Anyway, just been and give the car it's weekly wash and I have mahoosive blobs of dried on tar all inside the rims!
Obviously it's a wheel off job to get them pristine again, but what I did notice was when washing with hot water, it melted some of the blobs and smeared them.
Now, I know there are a lot of specific tar removers out there but being a tight ar5e that I am, I will probably just use WD40.
The question i ask is, for major chunks of tar is it better to try and pick the majority off and then dissolve with WD40 , then rinse with cold water?
Then warm soapy water?
I know I have my work cut out, and it's going to very time consuming.
Is there a special method to do?
I also read somewhere margarine works lol, but I won't be trying that lol.
Will white spirit work also?
Or will that be too harsh?
I only ask because it's cheap but don't want to damage my painted wheel finish.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
I will try and post pics later on today.

I use white spirit for things like this. I also have an old soft plastic ice scraper that I use for removing balance weights and stuff like that on the inside of the wheel.

Reactions: CHEZ
Try WD40 first if not I think some AG tar remover up from grabs for free on PIF thread. (if your being a tight ar5se) lol

It's good stuff, I use it.

Use that, let it soak in and rub off with a MF cloth. Then rub & rub & rub...followed by more rubbing..

Eventually hard graft will shift it.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and CHEZ
This is my "go to"
Tary

Reactions: NevMan
Morning people.
So the council resurfaced the road the other day and it was unavoidable but to drive on it while still warm.
Anyway, just been and give the car it's weekly wash and I have mahoosive blobs of dried on tar all inside the rims!
Obviously it's a wheel off job to get them pristine again, but what I did notice was when washing with hot water, it melted some of the blobs and smeared them.
Now, I know there are a lot of specific tar removers out there but being a tight ar5e that I am, I will probably just use WD40.
The question i ask is, for major chunks of tar is it better to try and pick the majority off and then dissolve with WD40 , then rinse with cold water?
Then warm soapy water?
I know I have my work cut out, and it's going to very time consuming.
Is there a special method to do?
I also read somewhere margarine works lol, but I won't be trying that lol.
Will white spirit work also?
Or will that be too harsh?
I only ask because it's cheap but don't want to damage my painted wheel finish.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
I will try and post pics later on today.

Surely Tar Remover should be part of your washing regime anyway? I would get some to avoid messing about with WD40, warm water and elbow grease. TR is just spread on, dwell and spray off.

I wouldn’t want to be scrubbing away on my alloys but up to you for the sake of less than £7

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/vale...tsbYkxY0LmfveBPYWo6xoheHYaAlW1EALw_wcB#183=14

I use lighter fluid on a MF to wipe off tar spots. Then wash and rinse...

Reactions: CHEZ
Great stuff. Mrs bought me a small spray bottle as it doesn't come with a spray nozzle.
Screenshot 20190711 142820 Gallery

Quick update on this lads.
I forgot to update or take pics, oops!
I just went up the local screwfix and bought a big tin of WD40.
Because my rims are 20x 9.5 I pretty much used 600ml.
It did the trick though.
I knew it would.
A million uses has WD40
If we had a detailing place nearby I would have tried some of the recommendations.
But sadly we don't.
All in, it took me 5 hours, as it was a wheel off job.

Reactions: All-rod, A4A4 and Sandra