Wing mirror replacement help

ohmyaudi

Reaction score
My door mirror on my S3 8v 2015 was smashed by someone recently so I bought a replacement from Ebay but it's arrived and the wiring loom is really long compared to my old one and there's an extra plug that I don't have. What's going on here?

Attachments

• 1558431655782148430045328021639.jpg
    1558431655782148430045328021639.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 333
Also how do you remove the 10mm bolts without dropping them inside the door?

Extra plug is for dimming mirrors or side assist.
If you don’t have either it just clips to the module behind the wiring loom in that red circle.
Upload 2019 5 21 11 16 39

There’s nowhere for the bolts to go other than the inside of the door so not the end of the world if it falls. Could try a magnetic socket.
I dropped mine when fitting folding mirrors and the bolt stuck to the magnet on the speaker. Took me ages to find it.

Ah okay cool thanks mate. Managed to do it, however now even though everything has the same part code the mirror doesn't sit flush. The holes don't seem to line up...

Attachments

• 15584352483928816552014805227889.jpg
    15584352483928816552014805227889.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
Ah okay cool thanks mate. Managed to do it, however now even though everything has the same part code the mirror doesn't sit flush. The holes don't seem to line up...
You sure you have the correct part number for your vehicle? SB and Saloon are different etc

Reactions: T-800
You sure you have the correct part number for your vehicle? SB and Saloon are different etc
Ummm no I just bought one that said it was from an S3 the same year as mine. It didn't specify shape. I'm a 3 door, is that the problem? It looks identical holding the mirrors next to each other.

Ummm no I just bought one that said it was from an S3 the same year as mine. It didn't specify shape. I'm a 3 door, is that the problem? It looks identical holding the mirrors next to each other.
I think your installation has answered that question :(

might be an idea to take the part number and put it in to eBay and see what pops up
Can you point me in the direction of the correct part number? The numbers on the shell of the mirror match up currently but that's obviously wrong

Can you point me in the direction of the correct part number? The numbers on the shell of the mirror match up currently but that's obviously wrong
shell? the part number should be on a sticker around the cable / loom

If I remember right, the hatchback part number begins with 8V1, sportback 8V2 and saloon is 8v5.
I did check when I did the folding mirror retrofit after Alex mentioned in the thread saying they are all different.
Sportback numbers for folding are
8V2857409j 9b9
8V2857410g 9b9
Ones left and other right. Not sure which though.
In theory the 3 door should begin with 8v1 instead of 2.
You could try and take the other side off and if one is 409 the other should be 410 at the end of part number.
Note: part number is on the cable not on the bottom of the mirror base. That’s some mold number.
Will try and get some pics when I get home.

If I remember right, the hatchback part number begins with 8V1, sportback 8V2 and saloon is 8v5.
I did check when I did the folding mirror retrofit after Alex mentioned in the thread saying they are all different.
Sportback numbers for folding are
8V2857409j 9b9
8V2857410g 9b9
Ones left and other right. Not sure which though.
In theory the 3 door should begin with 8v1 instead of 2.
You could try and take the other side off and if one is 409 the other should be 410 at the end of part number.
Note: part number is on the cable not on the bottom of the mirror base. That’s some mold number.
Will try and get some pics when I get home.
The following are Saloon:
  • 8V5 857 409 N9 B9
  • 8V5 857 410 G9 B9

It's confirmed, the one I had was from a saloon.

I can only find 8v2 ones, will be the 5 door and 3 door models be the same mirror? Assuming so and it's just the saloon that has a different one?

It's confirmed, the one I had was from a saloon.

I can only find 8v2 ones, will be the 5 door and 3 door models be the same mirror? Assuming so and it's just the saloon that has a different one?

I wouldn’t want to bet on it.
Some other parts will be the same like exhausts but it seems the doors are different across the hatch, sportback, saloon and cabrio.
If you were close to me(Edinburgh area)i would let you try my 8v2 ones(non folding) before you ordered or bought another one.

I wouldn’t want to bet on it.
Some other parts will be the same like exhausts but it seems the doors are different across the hatch, sportback, saloon and cabrio.
If you were close to me(Edinburgh area)i would let you try my 8v2 ones(non folding) before you ordered or bought another one.
Can you measure this bit? As that was the only difference with the incorrect part I bought.

Attachments

• 20190521_161722-2268x3024.jpg
    20190521_161722-2268x3024.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 176
Can you measure this bit? As that was the only difference with the incorrect part I bought.
Very simple idea call Audi parts asking about new mirror for your car given them your reg and they should be able to give you the exact part number for this unit

Very simple idea call Audi parts asking about new mirror for your car given them your reg and they should be able to give you the exact part number for this unit
Yes I could do that but the problem is a part number isn't always that useful. I'm not spending loads so I'm looking for second hand off Ebay and they quite often don't have the part number. I just wanna know if it's the same mirror for 3 door and 5 door

Yes I could do that but the problem is a part number isn't always that useful. I'm not spending loads so I'm looking for second hand off Ebay and they quite often don't have the part number. I just wanna know if it's the same mirror for 3 door and 5 door
They will be able to tell you that too just ask the parts guy there helpful people

Reactions: ohmyaudi
Same size as mine so that's good. Tried to call audi parts but guess they're closed now. However I've had a look on autodoc and the mirror listed for my car also fits the 5 door. The only different one is the saloon.

So pretty safe to say hatchback and sportback are the same, saloon is different.

Out of interest what was the measurements for the saloon mirror?

Also be careful about buying from European ebay sellers, as their cars are predominantly left hand drive which means the mirror you need is actually their passenger side mirror. I suspect the actual shell and mirror angle is different, so something to look out for too.

Reactions: ohmyaudi
Hello guys, i know its old topic already but maybe someone will look after some info I found.

first 3 signs of mirror number
8V1 857 410 - right - Sportback/Hatchback LHD
8V1 857 409 - left - Sportback/Hatchback LHD

8V2 857 410 - right - Sportback/Hatchback RHD
8V2 857 409 - left - Sportback/Hatchback RHD

8V5 - Saloon gets little more complicated since 8V5 is for all LHD/RHD, but probably 10th sign is about LHD/RHD type.​