Dw65 pump change

ADs3

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Finally about to get round to actually fitting the dw65 pump I bought last year!
Is there any guides or anyone got any tips on this as I've seen allot of posts with people having problems with them not picking up fuel if you've quarter of a tank

Well there was some sweat, some blood & a fair amount of swearing.........

Managed to stretch out & deform the feed pipe from the pump trying to pull it free which meant I had to use the ridiculously short pipe dw supply with the pump which I was trying to avoid using.
Dont do as I did & connect both ends of the supplied feed pipe till you have the pump basket back in the tank & the balance pipe hooked back onto the body & the electrical plug reconnected as the new feed pipe is to short to allow you to get your hand in there to reconnect everything so I had to wrestle it free from the pumps feed pipe which is where the swearing started.

Done this with just under quarter of a tank as I'd heard if not done correctly you can get pick up problems with quarter a tank so if it didn't run after I put it back in I'd know I'd done it wrong & save myself running outta fuel at a later date thinking all was good, all was good as I took it for a run & no problems with fuelling.

Reactions: hydro s3, desertstorm and S3AMJ
I had the problem with mine where it appeared to work fine but when the tank got down to the point where the low fuel light comes on it would not pick up fuel correctly if you were going up or down hill. It was the seals not fully seated on the pump body. Thats's why they supply grease as they are tight.

Reactions: ADs3
Oh right I didn't realise it was when it got that low, for some reason I had it in my head it was with a quarter tank of fuel.

I used the grease on the o rings they supplied & pushed it fully home into the pump basket as far as I could get it & lined it up with the screened intake feed, I did check how far the original sat as a reference.
Seemed to go back together as if nothing was amiss...........time will tell eh lol

There is a very good chance you have got it right if you were paying that much attention.