Chrome exhaust tips

Rich76

Reaction score
well I was under the car today and decided to see if the tips really did come off with a little tap of the hammer !

As you can see they did

So now to clean them, started with a soak in a degreaser and water mix for around an hour.
This got a lot of the residue off, then using a soft scourer and some autoglym tar remover I went all over them again, this got nearly all of the residue off as can be seen.

After doing this it has revealed an issue, the tips are no longer chrome and don’t look like they have been for a very longtime .
So what are my options?

1. Leave as is
2. Replace
3. Rechrome them?
4. Paint them black?

Leaving the tar remover residue to dry off then I’ll buff up with some bar keepers friend before refitting

Attachments

• 72EA633F-606A-4FEE-80DE-7E2D5E871F53.jpeg
    72EA633F-606A-4FEE-80DE-7E2D5E871F53.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 355
Reactions: A4A4 and Buxton2901
Think it is quite hard to find replacements as not really something commonly stocked (correct me if I'm wrong) but this is what I found with my S3. My opinion would be to get them powder coated, was pretty cheap for me and after being powder coated the soot from the exhaust didn't seem to stick as bad as on the chrome! Not sure whether this was just luck or an actual "feature".

Reactions: Scotty75
@creweaudiparts quoted me about £55 for replacement tips on my A3 S- line. I prefer Chrome personally but as Adam said , powder coating is a good option

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Nothing to lose! You could try BBQ spray paint from B&Q or Plastikote wood burning stove paint spray can!

They look ok once back on, I like the shiny look on exhaust trims so will either get then re chromed or replace them

Reactions: Scotty75
well I was under the car today and decided to see if the tips really did come off with a little tap of the hammer !

As you can see they did

So now to clean them, started with a soak in a degreaser and water mix for around an hour.
This got a lot of the residue off, then using a soft scourer and some autoglym tar remover I went all over them again, this got nearly all of the residue off as can be seen.

After doing this it has revealed an issue, the tips are no longer chrome and don’t look like they have been for a very longtime .
So what are my options?

1. Leave as is
2. Replace
3. Rechrome them?
4. Paint them black?

Leaving the tar remover residue to dry off then I’ll buff up with some bar keepers friend before refitting
When you have cleaned your chrome tips. To keep them immaculate I spray some silicone lubricant spray on a cloth and wipe it on the tips then it just wipes clean then re apply some more silicone lubricant

Reactions: scotty76
I put Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine on my exhaust tips once they are clean Definitely helps.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Have you thought of using metal polish? I've got a stainless exhaust which comes up awesome when I use it - might be a little different if yours are chromed though

I only used chrome polish once to get them immaculate but using silicone lubricant on a cloth and coating the chrome tips stops the carbon embedding and it just wipes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone for a radical solution!

Selling the car!!

Haha