Audi A3 (RS3 19" Alloys & Lowering) Need Advice on making practical!

deadboltz

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently brought an a3 2010, its got rs3 alloys and brakes, and is on 50mm vogltand lowering springs. I've recently had an issue my passenger side alloy cracking, the roads are terrible where I live, and I wanted to make sure I can make my car more practical for daily use.

Currently its running 215/35/19 Tyres, but I know it should be on 235/35/19" tyres or perhaps even bigger profiles, as this should take impacts better but I can't do that until I higher the car.

I wanted some advice on what spring size would you recommend for and how I can avoid issues with roads as much as possible I like the look of the car but need my car as a daily so it needs to be practical for all roads.

Attached are photos

55744530_2168490043231661_4257259720819081216_n.jpg.efc37c79174ea379e2266718ad7b98b0.jpg

55949114_2168490006564998_2816002596181901312_n.jpg.2650827cee91d06ada13a0903440d53e.jpg

Those are ridiculously low profile tyres.
Your rims are not going to thank you for them tyres.
Personally I would change them for a higher profile ASAP.
You must have 15mm of 'cushion' there.
No wonder they cracked

I am thinking shopping trolley looking at them pics.

In the same way as tight jeans.

You have disco dance floor. tyres mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abi and abmat
The ride must be terrible. Big wheels, rubber band tyres and a massive drop.

Either get higher profile tyres and change to say a 30mm drop, or change to 18” wheels. They’re what the car was designed for.

Those are ridiculously low profile tyres.
Your rims are not going to thank you for them tyres.
Personally I would change them for a higher profile ASAP.
You must have 15mm of 'cushion' there.
No wonder they cracked

I am thinking shopping trolley looking at them pics.

In the same way as tight jeans.

You have disco dance floor. tyres mate.

Thanks for the reply mate, tbh, I didn't understand they were that low profile, that makes sense why its happened but what would you recommend in terms of a profile 235/45/19? , and I'd have to higher the car first, so would 35mm lowering springs be enough to leave clearance for that do you think its currently on 50mm.

The ride must be terrible. Big wheels, rubber band tyres and a massive drop.

Either get higher profile tyres and change to say a 30mm drop, or change to 18” wheels. They’re what the car was designed for.

I'm just wondering is a 30mm drop going to allow me to fit like say, 235/45/19 tyre on which would give me more cushioning?

That I’m afraid I don’t know.

Do a search on here. No doubt it has been asked before.

Let's break this down first, how wide are the rims?
This is the start point

To be honest mate I'm not a professional how do you find that out? I just spoke to my mate are you on about the like the measurments such as 9G?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, on the back of the rim will be stamped 8j, 8.5j, 9j etc
That's the width in inches.
So we know where to start

Ah damn if I'd known earlier on I can't get that information yet, I was just thinking though perhaps 215's are been run, because probably they rub on the arches otherwise? And perhaps I could higher the car, and just get a wider profile 215/like

Yeah, on the back of the rim will be stamped 8j, 8.5j, 9j etc
That's the width in inches.
So we know where to start

I checked today my rims currently on are a 8.5J, what would you suggest? Thank you

Reactions: CHEZ
The 8P RS3 used 8J 19inch rims with a 235/35 on the front and a 225/35 on the rear - don't start discussing as to why it just did/does!

The optional 8.5J 19inch front rim uses a 255/30 tyre - I have both arrangements - but use an 8J 19inch rims with 235/35 on the rear and NO clearance issues

OEM 8J 19inch rim dimensions:

ET80

BLUEY on OEM 8J 19inch rims with 235/35 winters front and rear:

BLUEY ceramic wax

Hope this helps...

Reactions: deadboltz and CHEZ
I checked today my rims currently on are a 8.5J, what would you suggest? Thank you

Like the boys said, I would go 235/35/19.

The 235 means a tad wider, which is OK because your rims are wide enough.
The 35 bit, which is the important bit, means your sidewall will be 35% of the width in size.
So just going a little wider in width, but keeping the same profile, will give a thicker sidewall.
Basically, a fair chunk more than what you have at the minute.
Giving you a nicer ride, and giving your rims a better life.

The 19 bit, well, that's just the rim size.
I would be surprised if these rub, even on an aggressive suspension drop tbh..

A quick question, does the car have wheel spacers fitted?

Last edited:
you have lowering springs so you cant adjust height. I agree the 235 is the right choice but likely not the right fit for you. I suspect you will rub and rubbing is a way of life. It rubbing bothers you then you can run 225 which most run without problems. I too have potholes in town. I drive like a granny in town and could care less if I am slowing someone down

Like the boys said, I would go 235/35/19.

The 235 means a tad wider, which is OK because your rims are wide enough.
The 35 bit, which is the important bit, means your sidewall will be 35% of the width in size.
So just going a little wider in width, but keeping the same profile, will give a thicker sidewall.
Basically, a fair chunk more than what you have at the minute.
Giving you a nicer ride, and giving your rims a better life.

The 19 bit, well, that's just the rim size.
I would be surprised if these rub, even on an aggressive suspension drop tbh..

A quick question, does the car have wheel spacers fitted?

Thanks for you reply, don't think the car has spacers fitted.

The 8P RS3 used 8J 19inch rims with a 235/35 on the front and a 225/35 on the rear - don't start discussing as to why it just did/does!

The optional 8.5J 19inch front rim uses a 255/30 tyre - I have both arrangements - but use an 8J 19inch rims with 235/35 on the rear and NO clearance issues

OEM 8J 19inch rim dimensions:

View attachment 179034

BLUEY on OEM 8J 19inch rims with 235/35 winters front and rear:

View attachment 179035

Hope this helps...

Thank you for your help, I'm sorry if I sound a bit stupid asking this, but in terms of design does your car's wheel arches have more room than my own, since mine is just an audi a3, and therefore I wasn't sure if it could be an issue.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 1ae
this is mine on 225 and no issues with rubbing and good rubber between road and wheel. same arches as yours

View attachment 179109 this is mine on 225 and no issues with rubbing and good rubber between road and wheel. same arches as yours

Thanks for this, say the car was heightened to a decent ride height, would rubbing still happen with a 235/35's do you think? I just want to make sure there's enough cushioning for the roads where I live to save damage to the alloys if I get a new pair.

Thanks for this, say the car was heightened to a decent ride height, would rubbing still happen with a 235/35's do you think? I just want to make sure there's enough cushioning for the roads where I live to save damage to the alloys if I get a new pair.

No idea with an 8P A3 but logic says yes otherwise Audi would not have found the need to create and fit extended carbon fibre front wings to the 8P RS3.