Dpf??

Jay_78

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum. I have just put deposit down on a4 avant 2,0 TDI se 2010. Read some posts regarding dpf issues and high replacement costs. The car has done 106000 miles.

Any advice did be great. Thanks.

James

2019 02 16 130745

Reactions: aqibi2000, DickoB8, MuPPeT_ON_TouR and 2 others
To put things into perspective they became law in the UK from 2009. So roughly half the cars sold in the UK for the past 10-years have them fitted. If your car is the more modern common rail diesel there should be no particular problem. Many manufacturers had significant teething problems with early applications for various reasons caused by things like systems/injectors not providing sufficient exhaust heat and even in some circumstances positioning the DPF too far from the engine.

Reactions: Jay_78
I was just remembering this morning, years ago I borrowed my dads 2003 skoda Octavia with the 1.9tdi 90bhp engine in it to get to uni, the first memory is how good the thing felt to say it had just 90bhp. The second thing was a sharp get away from some lights meant I couldn't see out of the back window for the cloud of black soot.
My car is only 6 years newer than it, it has a DPF, there is no soot, I like it.

Modern diesels with DPF's have to run pretty clean even without a DPF on as if they ran dirty the DPF would be regenerating all the time.

I was just remembering this morning, years ago I borrowed my dads 2003 skoda Octavia with the 1.9tdi 90bhp engine in it to get to uni, the first memory is how good the thing felt to say it had just 90bhp. The second thing was a sharp get away from some lights meant I couldn't see out of the back window for the cloud of black soot.
My car is only 6 years newer than it, it has a DPF, there is no soot, I like it.

Sounds like it was over fueling as dervs aren't fussy like petrol for air fuel ratios .

Sounds like it was over fueling as dervs aren't fussy like petrol for air fuel ratios .
Maybe, probably a poor spray pattern or the fueling being in front of the boost. Poor thing didn't get much welly so tor down probably came as a bit of a shock .

All modern diesels have DPF issues if not cared for. Just put good quality fuel in not supermarket rubbish, allow for longer journeys where possible to help with the regeneration process and maintenance is key little things like having the oil and filter changed every 10k or less instead of the long life service programme which in my opinion is a load of rubbish!! For what it costs it’s a massive saving over the potential replacement costs and helps with the longevity of the engine.

Supermarket fuel has a British Standard , never had an issue .

Many causes for the flawed dpf death.

Thank you everyone for your valued information. The car looks and drives nice. Had a petrol a4 avant before some idiot ran into back of me and wrote it off. That was my first audi. Love em.