1.6 TDi running lumpy

Pricer07

Reaction score
Hi all,
Other half has got a 2013 a3 with the 1.6 tdi engine. its coming up to 50k miles. Sometimes it takes quite a few turnovers to start which im guessing is the battery but when it does start, it idles lumpy. The car is shaking. Any ideas what it could be? VCDS showing nothing. Are these engines generally noisey? Compared to my A5 2.0tdi it is very noisey.
Thanks

I had a 1.6tdi and it was never noisy. It’s a diesel so it’s not going to be silent like a petrol but it was never loud. My current Q2 just had a problem with starting, battery changed under warranty due to a faulty batch of them. Perfect now. If yours is running lumpy and not starting well then maybe it’s something like injectors. Has it been serviced lately? What kind of mileages does your wife do in it?

I had a 1.6tdi and it was never noisy. It’s a diesel so it’s not going to be silent like a petrol but it was never loud. My current Q2 just had a problem with starting, battery changed under warranty due to a faulty batch of them. Perfect now. If yours is running lumpy and not starting well then maybe it’s something like injectors. Has it been serviced lately? What kind of mileages does your wife do in it?
I understand no diesel is silent just it’s louder than my a5. It starts fine 90% of the time, just the other 10% it takes probably 5-6 turns. Only bought it in June last year at 46k miles, I Serviced it then so 3.5k miles ago. Normally does about 6k miles a year. Is there anything I can check via VCDS? Cheers

Mine isn’t lumpy or noisy but randomly maby 1 out of 10 cold starts not dependant on outside temp it does take 3-7 cranks to start. What’s odd is right after that when the stop start kicks in it always starts never cranks more than once.. so just assuming it’s more or less normal.

I understand no diesel is silent just it’s louder than my a5. It starts fine 90% of the time, just the other 10% it takes probably 5-6 turns. Only bought it in June last year at 46k miles, I Serviced it then so 3.5k miles ago. Normally does about 6k miles a year. Is there anything I can check via VCDS? Cheers

Cold weather along with winter diesel will have that affect on starting.

Assume the battery is turning the engine over OK but it is struggling to start. I would get the injectors checked:-
1) Faulty injector(s) can make starting harder
2) A faulty injector(s) will increase the noise on a diesel
3) The vibration/rough running also could be injector related
These car manufactures do sometimes suffer faulty batches of injectors. When the emissions update/recall was announced a year or so back it was my understanding that the 1.6 TDIs were to be fitted with new injectors.
I've known situations where an owner has accidentally put petrol in a diesel, for either the injectors and/or glow plugs to suffer damage.

Mine isn’t lumpy or noisy but randomly maby 1 out of 10 cold starts not dependant on outside temp it does take 3-7 cranks to start. What’s odd is right after that when the stop start kicks in it always starts never cranks more than once.. so just assuming it’s more or less normal.

This is the same with my 1.6 TDI. Likely just due to the cold weather - battery and injectors are taking a beating

This is the same with my 1.6 TDI. Likely just due to the cold weather - battery and injectors are taking a beating

See I don’t know... mine cranks fast just randomly cranks longer. Never struggles to start just cranks more. Older diesels sound like they are trying to start when cranking this just seems to be something electronic keeping it cranking more before the start signal. Stop start 2-3min later never fails.

Reactions: Kondax
Car has done it since I bought it in June. It’s under warranty until this June but it’s not with Audi, so I doubt they’ll look in to it. In two minds whether to get a new battery or not incase it’s not that, then it’s a wasted £170! Maybe I’m looking for something that’s not there.

There’s no vibration in the pedal??? Normally when I’ve heard flywheels going it sounds like a bag of nails starting and sometimes they don’t start. Mine just cranks as usual but more cranks than normal.

I have a tdi (2.0 ) and I also have a slow starting problem that’s random. Can do it twice a week then not do it for months. Cold or warm it doesn’t matter. Maybe it checked the battery or something every so often. Done it for the 2 years I’ve had it. It’s in for service and mot at a specilists soon so will get them to have a look and check the battery.

I have a tdi (2.0 ) and I also have a slow starting problem that’s random. Can do it twice a week then not do it for months. Cold or warm it doesn’t matter. Maybe it checked the battery or something every so often. Done it for the 2 years I’ve had it. It’s in for service and mot at a specilists soon so will get them to have a look and check the battery.

It’s so random like -1 this morning started right up! I’m sure my battery hasn’t been changed and I’m on 86k but as before I don’t think that’s anything to do with it as always turns over the same speed.

It’s so random like -1 this morning started right up! I’m sure my battery hasn’t been changed and I’m on 86k but as before I don’t think that’s anything to do with it as always turns over the same speed.

Could be battery. I did check mine over a couple days and it was always different.

Just happened to not do it when I was checking. I don’t know how low it has to be to suffer slow cranking but mine was jumping between 12.4/12.6

I was going to change mine unti I read it needs to be coded. Dno how true this is so thought I’d wait until it got worse

I may put the meter on mine tomorrow and see what it’s at. Although it doesn’t really bother me.

No completely random doesn’t matter if it’s first or 5th sometimes cranks twice (normal) or the odd occasion 4-5.

Same as me then. If I get to the bottom of it l let you know more then likely weak battery. Mine is 5 years old now.

Reactions: Kondax and dannyboy1985
Wouldn't hurt to check mine tomorrow too. Mine is also coming up to 5 years (May 2014), with 57k~ miles

Why not give your injectors a good clean!. And after that give the turbo a good clean as well!

Try the Wynns diesel injector cleaner 1st - https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/injector-cleaner-for-diesel-engines/

Then use wynns diesel turbo cleaner - https://www.wynns.eu/product/diesel-turbo-cleaner/

*But DONT use them one after another!. Make sure there is a 1 or 2 fill up gap!!!!!*

My TDI loves the turbo cleaning stuff when i put it in with a tank of V-Power!(It gave instant results in power/running). As its cleaning the vanes and actuator while driving. Plus i had the dreaded glow plug light flashing giving me some codes back via the Carista app. The Wynns additives solved the lot!

Just a thought, that might be worth thinking about trying ?

Why not give your injectors a good clean!. And after that give the turbo a good clean as well!

Try the Wynns diesel injector cleaner 1st - https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/injector-cleaner-for-diesel-engines/

Then use wynns diesel turbo cleaner - https://www.wynns.eu/product/diesel-turbo-cleaner/

*But DONT use them one after another!. Make sure there is a 1 or 2 fill up gap!!!!!*

My TDI loves the turbo cleaning stuff when i put it in with a tank of V-Power!(It gave instant results in power/running). As its cleaning the vanes and actuator while driving. Plus i had the dreaded glow plug light flashing giving me some codes back via the Carista app. The Wynns additives solved the lot!

Just a thought, that might be worth thinking about trying ?

If it’s running lumpy that’s a good shout! I don’t think that’s going to help the cranking conundrum but overall smoothness should be improved.

Mine is 12.5 and 14.5 ish running. I’d say that’s pretty normal.

I forgot to do mine. Do your car start first time ?? It’s trying to test it before you get the long start, I was trying to weeks nearly every start. It got boring fast. Then the one time I couldn’t be bothered after work.... long start.

I doubt it’s battery voltage it can’t just randomly drop for some starts got to be something else.

I will get the garage to have a look on the 29th see if they can spot anything

Reactions: dannyboy1985
Hooked my VCDS up to the car to check injector values. This is what I got..
Cylinder 1 - 0.22 mg/stroke
Cylinder 2 - 0.05 mg/stroke
Cylinder 3 - -0.84 mg/stroke
Cylinder 4 - 0.57 mg/stroke
Anyone know if there in tolerance?

Battery charge percentage is 71%. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

I found that if I leave the ignition on for a few minutes while playing around in the car then it struggles to start then.