1.6 tdi DSG

Statiker

Reaction score
Anyone got the 1.6tdi with the dsg gearbox? I'd like to hear opinions about this engine and gearbox combination. Any known issues or problems? How do people find it in everyday use?

I had one as a temporary vehicle provided by Audi UK a couple of months back, (1.6 TDI 3 Dr SE S-Tronic).

Was actually pleasantly suprised by it. Engine seemed to be a good pairing with the gearbox and it was more than adequate for both town driving and motorway stints - even when loaded-up.

I only had one (albeit, minor) criticism being of of the gearbox specifically - at times the 7 speed S-Tronic could be a tad hesitant, notably when giving it the beans during the rolling approach to a roundabout, for example. I wouldn't let that put you off it, though.

I have one as a loan car currently and don't like it.

I find the power delivery jerky compared to the 6 speed s-tronic box in my S3. It's not an engine issue (i.e. me comparing an S3 vs 1.6tdi) its the way the clutch takes up drive from standstill. It's not jerky when pulling away but it is abrupt when you take your foot off the gas.

I also find it does lack power for the size and weight of car - joining dual carriageways is always a bit butt clenching at rush hour. I would expect the 150hp is FAR better.

MPG wise it's not brilliant either. 45mpg town and 50mpg motorway. I've covered mixed driving over 400 miles this week in it all round the east midlands and have averaged 48mpg, which is exactly the same figure that was on it when it was handed to me (on trip 2).

I wouldn't buy one :(

My wife has an A3 1.6L TDI SE with S-tronic. I drive it most weekends. The car has over 10k on it now and the fuel economy has improved a lot - averaging around 60mpg now. The 7 speed S-tronic is more economical than the 6 speed automatic.

I would say it depends on how you like to drive. There is plenty of poke for town driving and I find the whole package much smoother than my Mk6 GTD. Though obviously I much prefer my GTD for overtaking.

I seem to get better mpg from the A3 than my wife. It is not comfortable (or licence friendly) to drive the GTD with my foot to the floor all the time. So I suspect my wife has a heavier right foot.

Last edited:
My drive into work this morning in my 1.6 diesel s-tronic produced 34mpg driving cautiously. My drive back from Eastbourne in my own 1.4 petrol produced over 50mpg...