Folding mirrors retrofit

Well just done mine today and no joy... coded modules done mmi... nothing. Will do further testing tomorrow! I don’t know if this is because I don’t have the door switch or something else.

Reactions: Marky79
Well just done mine today and no joy... coded modules done mmi... nothing. Will do further testing tomorrow! I don’t know if this is because I don’t have the door switch or something else.

Gutted mate. That definitely the correct modules?

Comparing to others on here it is. My car already had the same ones so didn’t change them. I’m going to check tomorrow that they are ACTUALLY folding mirrors. Mine came off an rs3 and it’s only got one connector have seen some on here that have a separate connector as well with a black red wire. Unsure if that’s to do with folding or something else... or possibly it’s pinned differently? Dunno will check tomorrow.

Comparing to others on here it is. My car already had the same ones so didn’t change them. I’m going to check tomorrow that they are ACTUALLY folding mirrors. Mine came off an rs3 and it’s only got one connector have seen some on here that have a separate connector as well with a black red wire. Unsure if that’s to do with folding or something else... or possibly it’s pinned differently? Dunno will check tomorrow.

Separate connector is only for the side assist light. Folding mirrors have a pink and a blue wire plugged to terminals 9 and 10 in the connector. You can test if it's working by applying 12 V to them (inverting voltage inverts the folding movement). Good luck.

Separate connector is only for the side assist light. Folding mirrors have a pink and a blue wire plugged to terminals 9 and 10 in the connector. You can test if it's working by applying 12 V to them (inverting voltage inverts the folding movement). Good luck.

Cheers bud should have checked before.. going to be well annoyed if I was sold non folding lol. Oh well they were a bargain so just have to sell them on and order the right ones.

Hopefully all my bits should arrive next week will see what I find. Gonna just plug the mirrors in and see if I can get it to fold before I start taking everything apart. Hoping the modules I have work. The switch looks like a cow of a job to replace and I can see me breaking the mirror trying to pry it off.
Decided to order new parts and hopefully get something back for the existing mirrors which should offset some of the cost.
I think I have all the part numbers now so will post them up once I get it all working.
@dannyboy1985 the part number you mentioned earlier beginning with e1 is just the molding for the plastic cover and not the Audi part number. The Audi part number is under the coloured cover and should begin with 8v.

Hopefully all my bits should arrive next week will see what I find. Gonna just plug the mirrors in and see if I can get it to fold before I start taking everything apart. Hoping the modules I have work. The switch looks like a cow of a job to replace and I can see me breaking the mirror trying to pry it off.
Decided to order new parts and hopefully get something back for the existing mirrors which should offset some of the cost.
I think I have all the part numbers now so will post them up once I get it all working.
@dannyboy1985 the part number you mentioned earlier beginning with e1 is just the molding for the plastic cover and not the Audi part number. The Audi part number is under the coloured cover and should begin with 8v.

Yes, I’ve realised that now..haha overall the job is quite easy took me about an hour for both. Door card has 3 screws and proper clips so no worries about breaking them. 4 screws for the speaker and there is plenty of room to reach up and thread the wire around the back of the window rail. Also, if you drop a nut they just fall to the bottom. Hardest will be the door switch but I’m not fitting that unless it turns out I have the right mirrors and that’s what the problem is.

Yes, I’ve realised that now..haha overall the job is quite easy took me about an hour for both. Door card has 3 screws and proper clips so no worries about breaking them. 4 screws for the speaker and there is plenty of room to reach up and thread the wire around the back of the window rail. Also, if you drop a nut they just fall to the bottom. Hardest will be the door switch but I’m not fitting that unless it turns out I have the right mirrors and that’s what the problem is.

It’s good to hear that it’s not that difficult. I have all the plastic trim tools so I don’t scratch or dent the door card.
I have a sneaky suspicion that the module or something looks for that ****** switch as I was gonna try and avoid changing that as well.
Do you know off the top of your head what size torx bit i need. That’s the only thing that might delay my project not having the right torx bit.

Will know more tomorrow about the switch. I used a 20mm it’s a bit loose so not sure that’s the correct size. They are not very tight though so it worked fine. Closest I had in my set.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the module or something looks for that ****** switch as I was gonna try and avoid changing that as well.

Switches that have and don't have positions to activate mirror glass heating and mirror folding have all the same wiring and connection to the door module. Each position submits a different voltage to the signal wire and the additional features have different voltages, keeping the standard features (left/right/none selection) unchanged. So I think the mirrors should work even if you don't replace the switch. Actually, instead of replacing the door handle I did holes on it for the new switch (in my case it worked fine because the original switch didn't have the heating feature). After replacing the switch, I've used it with both folding and non-folding mirrors with no problems.

Reactions: dannyboy1985 and AlS3BE
Switches that have and don't have positions to activate mirror glass heating and mirror folding have all the same wiring and connection to the door module. Each position submits a different voltage to the signal wire and the additional features have different voltages, keeping the standard features (left/right/none selection) unchanged. So I think the mirrors should work even if you don't replace the switch. Actually, instead of replacing the door handle I did holes on it for the new switch (in my case it worked fine because the original switch didn't have the heating feature). After replacing the switch, I've used it with both folding and non-folding mirrors with no problems.

This is my thought exactly I can’t see why it wouldn’t operate on lock without it.

So is it possible to replace the switch without replacing the door trim? In my head the switch will have the correct positions but won’t match up to the labels around it with an invisible position where the fold position is.

So is it possible to replace the switch without replacing the door trim? In my head the switch will have the correct positions but won’t match up to the labels around it with an invisible position where the fold position is.

That’s right just might be confusing as heat and fold is off to the side but as far as working should do just fine. But if your going to go to the trouble of melting the rivets off etc I’d just replace the lot..

In my case, I made the holes for heat and fold and replaced the switch and the optical that contains the labels. My original switch didn't have heating, so after making the new 2 holes the result was exactly as if I had replaced the door handle. If there is a heat position at the center-rear, there will be an unused remaining hole after you drill the new ones.

Reactions: dannyboy1985
In my case, I made the holes for heat and fold and replaced the switch and the optical that contains the labels. My original switch didn't have heating, so after making the new 2 holes the result was exactly as if I had replaced the door handle. If there is a heat position at the center-rear, there will be an unused remaining hole after you drill the new ones.

Ahh I see now.
I have heating which currently at the 6 o’clock position where as that will be at 4-5 o’clock position and the fold will be between 7-8 o’clock position in the new switch. Everything else at the top stays the same.
Might be worth just replacing the switch and not the handle/trim. I just see so much going wrong if I’m having to drill/melt some pieces off the door card to fit the new trim.

Well mine won’t fold because I’ve not got folding mirrors! Haha oh well back on the hunt! It’s surprising how many listings don’t specify if it’s a power mirror or power folding mirror.

Well mine won’t fold because I’ve not got folding mirrors! Haha oh well back on the hunt! It’s surprising how many listings don’t specify if it’s a power mirror or power folding mirror.

I think that was my problem looking for parts on eBay. Only few had part numbers. A lot said folding but doesn’t specify if it’s power folding.

I think that was my problem looking for parts on eBay. Only few had part numbers. A lot said folding but doesn’t specify if it’s power folding.
Checking details with the seller before buying is always a good idea. Sometimes they aren't sure about the details but you can ask the seller to check if there is a tag sticked to the wiring loom. If present, the tag contains part numbers for the mirror body, glass and cap, along with some other details like if it's a mirror for a LHD or RHD car (which is very important too). If there is no tag, you can check if it's power folding by asking if the mirror has the blue and pink wires in the slots 9 and 10 of the connector.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Well all the bits delivered today.
2 mirror bases with the pink and blue wire in slots 9 and 10 so these should be the power folding ones
Got the switch and door handle part that houses the switch.
Unfortunately I don’t seem to have the part that shows the labels on the switch. I’m assuming this is like a ring that slots in between the door handle part and the switch. I wrongly assumed this would be part of the switch. Never assume audi includes anything they could charge you more for so my bad:wink:
Anyone got the part number for this bezel/ring/label part?

That’s your next job install without the switch and let us know if it works! What did you pay from Audi for the mirror bases?

That’s your next job install without the switch and let us know if it works! What did you pay from Audi for the mirror bases?
You can perform the retrofit without the switch and the mirrors will still fold when locking :)

Reactions: Mylee, Marky79 and AlS3BE
Well all the bits delivered today.
2 mirror bases with the pink and blue wire in slots 9 and 10 so these should be the power folding ones
Got the switch and door handle part that houses the switch.
Unfortunately I don’t seem to have the part that shows the labels on the switch. I’m assuming this is like a ring that slots in between the door handle part and the switch. I wrongly assumed this would be part of the switch. Never assume audi includes anything they could charge you more for so my bad:wink:
Anyone got the part number for this bezel/ring/label part?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32887...d=7634amp-Sek2WP_VM7hTBZ_QHiaQ0Q1545693375586

is it the disc bit?

ah, i see your problem.. Was your door handle new?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181224-233208.jpg
    Screenshot_20181224-233208.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 266
Lads this retrofit is easily done , there is a good write up on it with all the part numbers for the eauipment you need to fo the job , if its an 8p model modules 8P0 959 801 P + 802 P

Reactions: Marky79
Lads this retrofit is easily done , there is a good write up on it with all the part numbers for the eauipment you need to fo the job , if its an 8p model modules 8P0 959 801 P + 802 P

It’s 8v looking at their pics mate.

Yeah cheers bud, I tend to use OEMPC instead. The problem with these modules is you need to know the part number out with the sites/applications as they’re install on an options basis. So if Audi where to replace one they’d need to read the door to find the already install one. So retro fitting is a pain. I’m hoping somebody who’s done it with heat,electric, folding can let us know what they fitted.

According to my pal in parts.

Well a bit of success.
Got the mirrors fitted but can’t code central electric (09) with obd11. Adaptations just has a load of analysis codes instead of proper names and won’t get vcds back till next week. So can’t seem to get the mirrors to fold on lock. 42/52 seems coded correctly. I then fitted the switch into the old armrest part as I don’t have that disc/label part yet . I can get the mirrors to fold by the switch which is a good result.

A few notes.
Mirror caps are a bit fiddly so take your time and be gentle with it. You don’t want to break the clips.
Be careful routing the cables as it can get in the way of the window opening.
Took me a couple of hours but can be done in half that time as I was being very careful and making sure I put the new parts in the way the old cane out.
Have trim removal tools. These are awesome and made taking the door card, mirrors , caps out so much easier and lowering the risk of damaging something. My set was off amazon for under a tenner.
Torx t20 bit is needed and I would recommend a magnetic socket as you can drop screw/nuts and bolt in the door. I dropped one and it took me half an hour to find. I eventually found it stuck to the magnet behind the speaker. Felt like an idiot.

Reactions: Khufu and Rcord
Well a bit of success.
Got the mirrors fitted but can’t code central electric (09) with obd11. Adaptations just has a load of analysis codes instead of proper names and won’t get vcds back till next week. So can’t seem to get the mirrors to fold on lock. 42/52 seems coded correctly. I then fitted the switch into the old armrest part as I don’t have that disc/label part yet . I can get the mirrors to fold by the switch which is a good result.

A few notes.
Mirror caps are a bit fiddly so take your time and be gentle with it. You don’t want to break the clips.
Be careful routing the cables as it can get in the way of the window opening.
Took me a couple of hours but can be done in half that time as I was being very careful and making sure I put the new parts in the way the old cane out.
Have trim removal tools. These are awesome and made taking the door card, mirrors , caps out so much easier and lowering the risk of damaging something. My set was off amazon for under a tenner.
Torx t20 bit is needed and I would recommend a magnetic socket as you can drop screw/nuts and bolt in the door. I dropped one and it took me half an hour to find. I eventually found it stuck to the magnet behind the speaker. Felt like an idiot.
What are the part number for the modules for Autofolding

Well another update.
All Working as it should now fold on lock works now.
Adaptation in obd11 and I suspect vcds is in “spiegelverstellung” not “access control 2”.
Think this only affect facelift or newer modules.

Well another update.
All Working as it should now fold on lock works now.
Adaptation in obd11 and I suspect vcds is in “spiegelverstellung” not “access control 2”.
Think this only affect facelift or newer modules.

Brill I’ve got some more from a breakers correct ones this time... I feel like a mirror salesman now as I’ve 2 sets to sell! One set were the brushed chrome so will have to swap the caps as I quite like them.

Brill I’ve got some more from a breakers correct ones this time... I feel like a mirror salesman now as I’ve 2 sets to sell! One set were the brushed chrome so will have to swap the caps as I quite like them.

eBay is gonna get flooded with non folding ones soon:wink:. Mines going tomorrow once I get a chance to wipe them down and take photos.

It’s already flooded there are very few in the uk that are folding. Just shows you not hardly anyone specs them for folding...