No Current To Coil Pack

HMC

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. As the title suggests, I have a problem with my Audi A3 2004 2.0 FSI not getting a current to the coil packs and I was hoping to get some advice. I've been searching through the forums/google for a while now and can't seem to find someone with the same problem.

The car was running a bit temperamental for a couple of weeks until eventually it just stopped and wouldn't start. It was cranking over, just wouldn't fire.

After hours and hours of reading up on diagnosing, I brought a multimeter and traced the problem to no current going to the coils.

I backprobed one of the coils and connected directly to the battery + and the car fired up!

This has lead me to believe there is something wrong with the IG Switch. However, before I commit the number one sin of throwing parts at the car, I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you guys...

Again, I hope I have posted this in the right place, apologies if I haven't! And thanks in advance for any help!
Henry.

Sometimes you do post some nonsense don’t you??
I do but it's all light hearted , well thats the way it's' meant to come across and i have had some nice comments from other members even the ones who put the Original post up .:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Misfiring coilpacks should show a faultcode and light up the warning light on the dash. Voltage to them is controlled by the ecu.
If the ignition switch was at fault you would have virtually no electrics working at all. Best to diagnose with an OBD tool or VCDS tool if you have one of them.
Also strange the engine started when you applied 12v to one coil pack, no idea how that worked unless you unwittingly disturbed other ignition wiring .

Reactions: ch1z64
Complete guess and probably well off the mark but could the coilpack loom be knackered?

Complete guess and probably well off the mark but could the coilpack loom be knackered?
This is my thinking too. If a power source is bypassed to the coil packs and it works, then there must be an issue with the feed getting to the coils somewhere along the chain.
check the wiring back towards the fuse box and see if there are any obvious issues or loose connections (or even a blown fuse).

Some OEMs have the KL15 ignition switcheed power fed to the coil. And a low side driver controlled by the Engine Control Module.

So there is a potential that there could be a wire broken fed (not the actual ignition switch itself)
This is my thinking too. If a power source is bypassed to the coil packs and it works, then there must be an issue with the feed getting to the coils somewhere along the chain.
check the wiring back towards the fuse box and see if there are any obvious issues or loose connections (or even a blown fuse).

Autodata would be the right place to help isolate where the KL15 feed from, as per the vehicle harness.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Just throwing it out there...... if the ECU sees that a coil pack was faulty would it cut the power? A bit like if it senses a short/blown bulb! I would start with VCDS and see if you get any fault codes.