2005 A4 B7 2.0 TFSi quattro seized engine - is this goodbye?

LozW

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
It was cold and dark when the oil pressure warning came on and I took the risk. I know, I know.
Poor car got me home, but only just. The engine won’t turn over, so I’m pretty sure it’s terminal.
Have spoken to my trusty mechanic who doesn’t think it’s worth replacing the engine. The car’s in very good condition otherwise. It has a detachable tow bar and lots of other add ons which make me inclined to have it repaired, even if it’s a bit more than the car’s theoretical value. I think an element of guilt about ignoring the warning light is pushing me that way, too.
I’d be grateful for any advice or thoughts. Have been offered £280 scrap, but wondering if anyone else has had good (or bad) experience of having an engine change?
Thanks!

Hi m19hud,
I’m in South London. I’m reasonably practical and have down some work on the car, but the engine would definitely be beyond me, so would have to find someone that could do it.

I was offered £800 scrap when my motor blew.

Getting the engine reconditioned is about £1100, turbo CHRA is probably goosed so thats another £180, then its labour for the engine out and back in.