Lap timer / Oil Temp

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
So picked the car up on Saturday, to say I'm pleased with it is an understatement!! Dealer managed to turn on all the things I asked for (audi drive select / battery meter and lap timer), except oil temp does not display. Having looked around it seems that Lap Timer and Oil Temp are connected. I have lap timer (how do I reset it or is it just start and stop and next lap?) Everything I have seen has the lap timer with oil temp above it. Mine has the radio station displayed. Can this be changed?

Thank in advance.

Not yet, everything I've seen says lap timer and oil temp are linked, I have lap timer but no oil temp displayed. I think I need to do more research.

Can be done with vcds as I had oil temp enabled on my 2015 RS3.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Oooh Thanks.

I think I may need some more coding!! Can't see specific oil temp, does anyone know if 2009 models can actually do it?

Also does the tyre pressure monitoring work off the abs or does it need more hardware? Is it just a case of turning it on?

Oooh Thanks.

I think I may need some more coding!! Can't see specific oil temp, does anyone know if 2009 models can actually do it?

Also does the tyre pressure monitoring work off the abs or does it need more hardware? Is it just a case of turning it on?
The 'Lap timer' mod is what will give you the oil temp read out. If you can't see it when in the Lap Timer screen, I don't think you have it on you DIS unfortunately.

And the TPMS works from the wheel speed sensors, so it's part of the ABS/ ESP system.

Paul

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo
And the TPMS works from the wheel speed sensors, so it's part of the ABS/ ESP system.

Heh I didn’t know that, I assumed there was actually a pressure sensor. So it works by simply checking to see if the wheel is rotating more than it used to?

Are the sensors located on the hub or is there something in the tyre on the valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heh I didn’t know that, I assumed there was actually a pressure sensor. So it works by simply checking to see if the wheel is rotating more than it used to?
Yes, exactly. As the tyre deflates, it will reduce in diameter, reducing in rolling circumference. The wheel speed sensor will see it's rotating faster and flag it to the TPMS.

Are the sensors located on the hub or is there something in the tyre on the valve?
The sensors are in the hub. They're the ABS sensors.

If the TPMS monitored tyre pressure, a special metal valve stem would be used, which is attached to the pressure sensor. See below. Our cars don't have this as an option but other models in the Audi line up do.

Upload 2018 9 19 9 17 23

Paul

Yes, exactly. As the tyre deflates, it will reduce in diameter, reducing in rolling circumference. The wheel speed sensor will see it's rotating faster and flag it to the TPMS.

Interesting, cheers! I wonder what the computer is doing when I tell it to store current tyre pressures? It seems to take some time as though it is taking a measurement, and it doesn’t let you store the values when moving which I assumed was because the pressure would fluctuate.

I also notice that it thinks you have a flat when you’ve inflated the tyre, not just deflated, so it seems it looks only for a difference, rather than checking to see if it less or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, cheers! I wonder what the computer is doing when I tell it to store current tyre pressures? It seems to take some time as though it is taking a measurement, and it doesn’t let you store the values when moving which I assumed was because the pressure would fluctuate.
My understanding is that it's dynamic, so will take some time (or more precisely distance covered) to 'understand' how 'inflated' your tyres are, when you reset it. So by resetting the TPMS, you're telling the system that when you drive the car now, you have correctly inflated tyres. Then as you drive, it will measure the characteristics of the tyres in this correct state of inflation and use that until you next reset the TPMS.

I also notice that it thinks you have a flat when you’ve inflated the tyre, not just deflated, so it seems it looks only for a difference, rather than checking to see if it less or more.
Yes, exactly it's not that clever, or at least it doesn't appear to be. That's a bit unfair though as it measures subtleties in how the tyres are behaving after you've reset it. It's not just the wheel speed information it uses.

An interesting article on the subject.

Paul