DAB Antenna

Abi

Reaction score
I’ve fitted a DAB radio in my 2010 A3 but don’t really want the unsightly aftermarket glass mounted antenna on the front screen. Can’t seem to find a double Fakra converter/booster to utilise the factory standard rear window antenna.
Has anyone got any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a little more digging again I have just found an adapter but it’s from Germany
21868eaa29378158d1b78e3df6a0837f.png
£53 don’t mind paying as long as it works,
Has anyone fitted one of these?

Last edited:
After a little more digging again I have just found an adapter but it’s from Germany
21868eaa29378158d1b78e3df6a0837f.png
£53 don’t mind paying as long as it works,
Has anyone fitted one of these?

Don’t waste your time or money. You cant use those on Audis because the rear screen antenna goes into an amplifier before going to the radio so those splitters don’t work, trust me I’ve tried it.
Got to get a stick on thing or have an external one.

Reactions: Abi
After going through my options, think I’m going to opt for the roof mounted ‘Shark Fin’ type DAB/FM antenna and colour coded to my car.
Can anyone tell me what year these were first factory fitted on A3’s? I have seen one on a 58 plate near me, but can’t put my finger on why, but something doesn’t look right! Think it may have been fitted too far forward on the roof!
Can anyone also say if a genuine Audi one could be fitted or would it have to be an aftermarket one as pictured.
Could anyone also with a factory fitted one fitted on an A3 give me the measurement from the rear of the antenna base to the rear of the roof (Not including the spoiler)
Thanx for any help
267c8e1a919276353ec6af0996ceb1c4.png

Look at image on bottom ,seems they where fitted to 2006 8p models might even be before that google 8L models and look see if shark fin is on there Screenshot 20180916 114622 Samsung Internet

Look at image on bottom ,seems they where fitted to 2006 8p models might even be before that google 8L models and look see if shark fin is on there View attachment 165574

I will google later when home, never knew they were fitted that early though.
Didn’t want mine to look out of place

You’ll have to go for an aftermarket one. A3’s do have them fitted but on the 8p models they aren’t for dab.

Thanx,
wasn’t sure if the newer A3 with DAB could be fitted.

Not sure if this will muddy the waters, or clear them a bit.
My 2006 S3 has a shark fin aerial from factory, but it does not provide a DAB signal.
I'm also wanting to replace mine with a DAB Sharkfin in the future, so I will watch this thread with interest as I haven't gotten around to sorting mine yet (bigger jobs on my to-do list).

Not sure if this will muddy the waters, or clear them a bit.
My 2006 S3 has a shark fin aerial from factory, but it does not provide a DAB signal.
I'm also wanting to replace mine with a DAB Sharkfin in the future, so I will watch this thread with interest as I haven't gotten around to sorting mine yet (bigger jobs on my to-do list).

Could you give me the measurement as asked previously as want to make sure I drill the hole in the right place when fitting.
Don’t want to be leaning over cars in car parks with a tape measure. Lol

Could you give me the measurement as asked previously as want to make sure I drill the hole in the right place when fitting.
Don’t want to be leaning over cars in car parks with a tape measure. Lol

If I remember I will do it tonight.

I make it approx 18cm from the gap between the roof and the boot, and the bottom of the aerial base.

Attachments

• rsz_20180918_175634.jpg
    rsz_20180918_175634.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 410
Reactions: mister.c.
I make it approx 18cm from the gap between the roof and the boot, and the bottom of the aerial base.

Thank you for that, least now I can drill my roof in the correct place
Cheers

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and ch1z64
Need to collect it tomorrow as was out when delivered, I’ve spent about half hr trying to feed a temporary wire above the headlining, done from the rear to the middle roof light, now need to do from there to the front light. Need to drop the back headlining when I drill the roof too! I’ll keep you informed

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I did mine a few month ago that’s why I could give you advice further up this thread.

If you’ve managed to thread a cable without removing the headlining then the rest at the front is easy. I ran it to the front passenger side then down the pillar which just pops off and then round the back of the glovebox.(only a few bolts holding the glovebox in).

When it comes to drilling your hole then you’ll have to remove some of the panels in the boot to be able to drop the headlining and also probably remove screws from the grab handles and the rear light. Once you’ve done that it’s pretty much done.

Reactions: Abi and Daveyonthemove
I plan to buy one for mine, but I'm holding off to see if it fits properly and provides a DAB signal without a problem.
Does it need a power source? If so, where from?

Any Aerial I buy will be plugged in at the front of the car to test that it works with my stereo before I fit it properly, so I want to make sure I know as much as possible before buying one. I may even consider leaving it on top of the glove box if it picks up a signal in that area.

I did mine a few month ago that’s why I could give you advice further up this thread.

If you’ve managed to thread a cable without removing the headlining then the rest at the front is easy. I ran it to the front passenger side then down the pillar which just pops off and then round the back of the glovebox.(only a few bolts holding the glovebox in).

When it comes to drilling your hole then you’ll have to remove some of the panels in the boot to be able to drop the headlining and also probably remove screws from the grab handles and the rear light. Once you’ve done that it’s pretty much done.

I’m gonna attempt threading the wire from the rear light (the back part is done) to the front tonight .
Then, yes the front part is easy, didn’t remove glove box though when I fitted the unsightly glass mounted one before though, can do it with.

Out of curiosity, what type of antenna did you fit?

I plan to buy one for mine, but I'm holding off to see if it fits properly and provides a DAB signal without a problem.

Any Aerial I buy will be plugged in at the front of the car to test that it works with my stereo before I fit it properly, so I want to make sure I know as much as possible before buying one. I may even consider leaving it on top of the glove box if it picks up a signal in that area.

Might as well fit a glass mounted one if your gonna leave one on the glove box!

It Will definately work properly if you get an external antenna.
Mine gets power from the xtrons head-unit. The aerial came with a dab cable, fm cable and power cable. Ran them all to the front of the car and the power is attached to the antenna power cable on the back of my head-unit and I put the dab receiver in the glovebox.
If you’re any good with a soldering iron you should try what someone else on this forum did a few month ago. Apparently there are a couple of spare connectors on the rear windscreen for the antenna. He used the amplifier and cable from a glass mount antenna and put this behind the boot trim and then soldered a small length cable from the little glass mount amplifier and onto the rear screen.
He reported it worked fine.
An external antenna however will get a better signal.

Out of curiosity, what type of antenna did you fit?

That’s it.
Not everyone’s cup of tea but signal is perfect everywhere. Car is white and black so kind of blends in. Focus RS’ use the exact same size antenna so that kind of persuaded me to do it.
04AC808F 482E 44BB A50E 429742647F2D

Might as well fit a glass mounted one if your gonna leave one on the glove box!

Already have one and it is rubbish, hence my decision to get a better one.
My thinking is simple. I get one that is proven to work and wire it up to ensure it does what I want it to.
Once I know it works I try it on the glove box and see if it picks up a strong enough signal. If it does, I will mount it in there and save myself the hassle of removing the old one and running a new one along the roof lining etc.
if the Glovebox idea won't work then at least I tried it first and then I will fit it to the roof knowing it's the only way.

It Will definately work properly if you get an external antenna.
Mine gets power from the xtrons head-unit. The aerial came with a dab cable, fm cable and power cable. Ran them all to the front of the car and the power is attached to the antenna power cable on the back of my head-unit and I put the dab receiver in the glovebox.
If you’re any good with a soldering iron you should try what someone else on this forum did a few month ago. Apparently there are a couple of spare connectors on the rear windscreen for the antenna. He used the amplifier and cable from a glass mount antenna and put this behind the boot trim and then soldered a small length cable from the little glass mount amplifier and onto the rear screen.
He reported it worked fine.
An external antenna however will get a better signal.
I'm not much of a solderer, and doing that isn't my ideal solution anyway.
I'd rather go down the external aerial route.

That’s it.
Not everyone’s cup of tea but signal is perfect everywhere. Car is white and black so kind of blends in. Focus RS’ use the exact same size antenna so that kind of persuaded me to do it.
View attachment 166711

Mmmm!!?
but it’s not a focus RS! I wanted one more in keeping with Audi appearance, shark fin style, unless it’s an A1. Think this one will look ok once I’ve sprayed it red to colour code my car.

Managed to thread the wires above the headlining and down to the N/S footwell tonight, with the aid of a ball of string and a straightened out wire clothes hanger, will get the roof drilled possibly next couple of days depending on work
c0f203a159c0252bf3c309e39aa2220b.jpg

My last car was a Focus ST and I looked at all sorts of methods to get rid of that long aerial, I hated it.
I think I ended up buying a shorter aerial from a VW dealer in the end off a Polo part number.
For me, it has to be sharkfin.

Reactions: Abi
My last car was a Focus ST and I looked at all sorts of methods to get rid of that long aerial, I hated it.
I think I ended up buying a shorter aerial from a VW dealer in the end off a Polo part number.

Me too

Yeah I totally get that I don’t think many people would do what I’ve done. I just went for performance over looks. Whenever I sell the car I may change it to a sharkfin so it looks oem.

Yeah I totally get that I don’t think many people would do what I’ve done. I just went for performance over looks. Whenever I sell the car I may change it to a sharkfin so it looks oem.

Sorry if I sounded harsh over the looks the other day, there’s no saying mine will look or perform any better but for £75 should hopefully perform ok.

All cables are now in, gonna spray it Tuesday and drill roof Wednesday and fit (both weather permitting) as away this weekend. Will post pictures once fitted. See what you think!

Looking forward to seeing how it looks.
I have a Sharkfin sat next to me now that I'm going to try and fit in the next few days.
As mentioned above, it will be trial fitted first to ensure it gets a signal.

Let’s see it then? Lol
If it needs a 12v feed to power it then it uses the vehicles body to earth it too and boost the signal, so just placing it somewhere might not work anyway, know this from CB antenna installation years ago as they use the vehicles body to boost reception

It does have the 12v feed, so that is handy to know.
However, it wouldn't be too hard to make a bracket and fit it to the bodywork to get the 'earth' it needs. In fact, a wire with an electrical connector on either end should act the same way. I'll give that a go too.

I've hit an issue with my aerial.
The DAB+ USB connection requires a male connector, but my aerial has a female connector.
I have two options.
1) Source a Male>Male interface (not found one yet).
2) Cut the end off the old aerial and crimp it on to the end of the new aerial, but I have no idea if that will work or if it will damage it and make unusable.

Today, I'll mostly be googling for answers....

I've hit an issue with my aerial.
The DAB+ USB connection requires a male connector, but my aerial has a female connector.
I have two options.
1) Source a Male>Male interface (not found one yet).
2) Cut the end off the old aerial and crimp it on to the end of the new aerial, but I have no idea if that will work or if it will damage it and make unusable.

Today, I'll mostly be googling for answers....

You can buy adaptors on eBay. Show us a picture of what you’ve got

That looks like it's female on one end, and male on the other?
If so, that isn't what I need.