Facelift Advice on next car

What you drive now? It's easy to think im bashing my S4. Truth is, it's the ultimate box ticker. 1st thing my mate said when I got it. Nobody 'needs' more than this B9. Feels like a £50k car should. Q car. It would out-perform a B8 RS4 in the real world every day. Haha.

Heart wants...that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I totally get that.

Coming from my S3 which although a lovely car was just a bit soulless and the S4 is a big step up, a real box ticket for me.

The V6 has enough character and noise for me, the interior is beautuful and plenty of performance in the real world.

However, give me a bit more aggressive styling on the S4....so I can see how those flared arches on the RS cars pull you in, they definitely are purposeful and some lovely lines to admire.

Seeing all these photo’s I can see why your heart wants to make the change, not sure if I could go from B9 to B8 regardless of the exterior styling/bit more grunt from the V8 but I get it that you want a beautiful car to cherish, the B8 RS4 for certain ticks that box.

Good luck buddy, look forward to seeing how this story unfolds with your purchase.

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
Yep I totally get that.

Coming from my S3 which although a lovely car was just a bit soulless and the S4 is a big step up, a real box ticket for me.

The V6 has enough character and noise for me, the interior is beautuful and plenty of performance in the real world.

However, give me a bit more aggressive styling on the S4....so I can see how those flared arches on the RS cars pull you in, they definitely are purposeful and some lovely lines to admire.

Seeing all these photo’s I can see why your heart wants to make the change, not sure if I could go from B9 to B8 regardless of the exterior styling/bit more grunt from the V8 but I get it that you want a beautiful car to cherish, the B8 RS4 for certain ticks that box.

Good luck buddy, look forward to seeing how this story unfolds with your purchase.

Cheers man. People on here are pretty much cut from the same cloth. Think there's a lot of respect etc. It's hard to make a V6 emotional. Alfa have done a truly amazing job. Helps being cut from a Ferrari V8 though And apart from that, BMW M sport exhaust is the best I've heard for a flat 6. Totally gives it life.

Downsizing eh? Meh! The story continues. Looking at a few more today. With some compromises. Mileage/interior etc. Oh...and the weird wheels situation? Turns out they're factory ordered V Spoke Alloys. Just polished. And that's why they're so odd because they're seldom ever spec'd. He's sent me a video.

Reactions: NevMan and Riko0073
Trying to grease my disgusting negative equity settlement figure just now with Audi. . Let you know how I get on. Nice spec. Low mileage. Bit over my budget. But could be worth it.

Reactions: NevMan
Trying to grease my disgusting negative equity settlement figure just now with Audi. . Let you know how I get on. Nice spec. Low mileage. Bit over my budget. But could be worth it.

Good luck ♂️

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Emotional afternoon.

I felt rushed by the process. Some very tight constraints put down. Time wise. I've decided to go back to my main priorities. And that's spec and service history over mileage.

This car hands down has the best servicing I've seen. And the figures are good. But that negative equity is limiting my budget. So I need to go back down to £30-32k. And just wait.

Emotional afternoon haha. Got some great people around me keeping me grounded though

Reactions: NevMan and Riko0073
you have SO much more restraint than me, fair play. The "right" deal and car will come along without a shadow of a doubt :icon thumright:

you have SO much more restraint than me, fair play. The "right" deal and car will come along without a shadow of a doubt :icon thumright:

They just wanted £3k down within the hour and a HP plan all sorted straight away. Made me realise it was too expensive. I got the shakes though! The excitement was off the chain.

Fontain Audi have a nice one with only 5980 miles on 15 plate....

Here

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
Yep, I realised it was over budget but wanted to share as other may be looking for an Rs4 or you may be tempted :racer:

The reason for me looking at this thread was due to the fact I sold my B9 Audi 4 Estate after 15 months and it was purchased from new.

I never really bonded with the car and it was missing something for me, this was my second s4 after owning a b8.5 a few years ago.

Your comments in your first post mirrored how I felt and I am also looking for something else but don't know what.

Good luck with finding you right car.

Yep, I realised it was over budget but wanted to share as other may be looking for an Rs4 or you may be tempted :racer:

The reason for me looking at this thread was due to the fact I sold my B9 Audi 4 Estate after 15 months and it was purchased from new.

I never really bonded with the car and it was missing something for me, this was my second s4 after owning a b8.5 a few years ago.

Your comments in your first post mirrored how I felt and I am also looking for something else but don't know what.

Good luck with finding you right car.

How did you purchase your S4? Cash? Then just sold it? I appreciate the input man. The B8.5 just felt more raw didn't it? RS4s are there to be had around £30k. You got the itch?

I purchased my car via finance on a pcp over 48 months. I put £2K in and got 14% discount when I took delivery in March 2017. My monthly payments were £561 and paid this until I sold it. When I inquired selling it in March this year the car was valued at £30K, this was too little as the negative equity would have been £8k ... fast forward to July this year and the value went up to £34.5K so it was more bearable. Not sure why the huge change between the months but that is what it was!

I ended up paying circa 15 months payments and putting in just of £2K to get rid of it. It was sold to Reading Audi and the car was truly immaculate in every way with low mileage. The car was sold within 1 week of it going up. They put the asking price as £38500 so £4k for doing very little.

The B9 version was great for technology and very accomplished car but for me it lacked the rawness and was almost too good. The virtual cockpit was good but once again I just felt the need to go back to normal dials!

I sometimes feel that cars are becoming an extension of the home computer and whatever happened to driving? how much can be too much in terms of technology inside the car?

For me, the car left me feeling cold and numb but then for others it would make them feel alive! we wish a test drive was taken before ordering but felt that it should be ok. The eye opener for us was the trip to Norfolk this year in the S4, the seats are so uncomfortable on a 5 hour journey and we could not get comfortable! once again, others would find the really comfortable.

I have got an itch but at the moment I am not sure what for. I do fancy trying something different as BMW and Audi have been the two brands that we have alternated between with the odd brand here and there.

We were looking the other day at the Mercedes GLC 63 and 63s as we do like them but then I am always drawn between the reality of our roads and the ability to use power of this nature.

Taking a hit can be hard on a car but then I took the view that we could spend the next 33 months paying £561 (£18561) on a car that I would probably give back at the end of the term or take the hit now and pay the £2K hit and put the money on a car that did something for me. Yes, it did cost me circa £12K for 15 months of ownership and that is alot of money to lose but then would I want to lose another £18K in payments?

I would like to own a V8, whether that be an Audi S6, RS6 or Mercedes variant only time will tell. I would like the next car to have less technology as when you reflect on it then you do question how useful all of this technology is? once again it depends on you as an individual and we are all very different.

I will continue to watch this thread with interest to see which road you take.

Regards
Shaun

Reactions: Jcbmally, Nextcar?, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
What is the RS4 like without DRC? Honest experience and opinion?

I purchased my car via finance on a pcp over 48 months. I put £2K in and got 14% discount when I took delivery in March 2017. My monthly payments were £561 and paid this until I sold it. When I inquired selling it in March this year the car was valued at £30K, this was too little as the negative equity would have been £8k ... fast forward to July this year and the value went up to £34.5K so it was more bearable. Not sure why the huge change between the months but that is what it was!

I ended up paying circa 15 months payments and putting in just of £2K to get rid of it. It was sold to Reading Audi and the car was truly immaculate in every way with low mileage. The car was sold within 1 week of it going up. They put the asking price as £38500 so £4k for doing very little.

The B9 version was great for technology and very accomplished car but for me it lacked the rawness and was almost too good. The virtual cockpit was good but once again I just felt the need to go back to normal dials!

I sometimes feel that cars are becoming an extension of the home computer and whatever happened to driving? how much can be too much in terms of technology inside the car?

For me, the car left me feeling cold and numb but then for others it would make them feel alive! we wish a test drive was taken before ordering but felt that it should be ok. The eye opener for us was the trip to Norfolk this year in the S4, the seats are so uncomfortable on a 5 hour journey and we could not get comfortable! once again, others would find the really comfortable.

I have got an itch but at the moment I am not sure what for. I do fancy trying something different as BMW and Audi have been the two brands that we have alternated between with the odd brand here and there.

We were looking the other day at the Mercedes GLC 63 and 63s as we do like them but then I am always drawn between the reality of our roads and the ability to use power of this nature.

Taking a hit can be hard on a car but then I took the view that we could spend the next 33 months paying £561 (£18561) on a car that I would probably give back at the end of the term or take the hit now and pay the £2K hit and put the money on a car that did something for me. Yes, it did cost me circa £12K for 15 months of ownership and that is alot of money to lose but then would I want to lose another £18K in payments?

I would like to own a V8, whether that be an Audi S6, RS6 or Mercedes variant only time will tell. I would like the next car to have less technology as when you reflect on it then you do question how useful all of this technology is? once again it depends on you as an individual and we are all very different.

Regards
Shaun

Good post Shaun. Does seem to be a common thing, Audi devalue Cara when almost new, as would prob lay struggle to shift over a brand new one with lower interest rates, contributions etc, then the value rises. Cars do lose value, so even buying cash, you sell soon
You lose big time. I prefer to put slightly more down upfront and then have manageable payments, and when I change usually come out with something towards next car. Currently in 2018 Q5 TFSI, and pay £349 p/m over 4 years, and will probably/possibly change after 2.5 years. This has been a very good thread so thanks to OP for sharing and keeping us informed. Does add food for thought as for £30-£40k you can get one hell of a car (ok you can for less too), but I have an RS itch I will scratch one day

Reactions: Jcbmally and Thundercliffe81

Regards
Shaun

Great read! Uncanny mate. Virtually the same position as me. Similar monthly payments/discount/deposit etc. God knows how you got that negative equity boost! I'm at £5k right now. Really do appreciate that input. I too want something more honest, more simple and exciting. Virtual cockpit was a novelty. Honestly. Imagine the display went down. You'd have no speedo! Couldn't drive it really.

Adaptive dampers standard? Going to try go test a car with great spec for me. Sports exhaust. No sport pack. Prof of not having the dynamic steering though!

Good post Shaun. Does seem to be a common thing, Audi devalue Cara when almost new, as would prob lay struggle to shift over a brand new one with lower interest rates, contributions etc, then the value rises. Cars do lose value, so even buying cash, you sell soon
You lose big time. I prefer to put slightly more down upfront and then have manageable payments, and when I change usually come out with something towards next car. Currently in 2018 Q5 TFSI, and pay £349 p/m over 4 years, and will probably/possibly change after 2.5 years. This has been a very good thread so thanks to OP for sharing and keeping us informed. Does add food for thought as for £30-£40k you can get one hell of a car (ok you can for less too), but I have an RS itch I will scratch one day

Don't look at what you can get for that price on Autotrader. It's really not very wise PCP is a lifestyle choice. When I look back to when I got my B8.5 S4, it just wouldn't ha e been possible to get in that car with PCP. Everything has its place.

Don't look at what you can get for that price on Autotrader. It's really not very wise PCP is a lifestyle choice. When I look back to when I got my B8.5 S4, it just wouldn't ha e been possible to get in that car with PCP. Everything has its place.

too late, already have many times. I get caught (for now) with the "fear" of warranty issues, so buy new, and keep under the 3 years

too late, already have many times. I get caught (for now) with the "fear" of warranty issues, so buy new, and keep under the 3 years

Yes I think I'll have some learning g to do on that front

Buggers sake. That car sold too! But listing wasn't taken down.

Absolutely not.

I assume you have let a few dealerships know you are looking and what for, as may be a few coming along with plate change, or are you avoiding main dealerships? That way you can hear about one coming before it is advertised and saves them the advert..win win

I assume you have let a few dealerships know you are looking and what for, as may be a few coming along with plate change, or are you avoiding main dealerships? That way you can hear about one coming before it is advertised and saves them the advert..win win

I've definitely said "keep me in mind" yes. I've got a couple of independents "keeping an eye out" but whether they are or not...who knows? Sterling motors were great. Petrolhead basically. Great to chat to. Dealers have their place and could work out better for my negative equity/trade in. A couple have said they'll keep me in mind.

I've got my poole dealer actively looking but from what they've said, they don't really get cars at £30-32k. The plate change has been on my mind. I'm wondering if some old RS4 owners are going to trade up

Arrrrrrr. I've just remembered why I wasn't looking at 2013 models.

027e9b467a7766d1a4258f5e7926ff81.png

Even if everything is ticked as option above on a 2013 car, you still can't adjust the exhaust sound in Individual on Drive Select can you? Am I wrong? Because that is indeed a deal breaker.

24fb3d756722db8545d41edd39bb263f.jpg

Picture as per the Chris Harris review in 2012. No option for exhaust/engine sound.

But the 2014 update has this:

837b083e6c916b3ffcb2aa2b2933584e.jpg

Engine sound is added to the drive select.

Last edited:
What you drive now? It's easy to think im bashing my S4. Truth is, it's the ultimate box ticker. 1st thing my mate said when I got it. Nobody 'needs' more than this B9. Feels like a £50k car should. Q car. It would out-perform a B8 RS4 in the real world every day. Haha.

Heart wants...that's it.

S3 Sportback at the moment, I suppose personal needs can always improve, or is it we all like more power :thumbs up:

Interesting comments regarding the technology. For me I like the LED lights for exterior/interior, some nav features, but not keen on the VC and overly intrusive safety features or the interactive side of it much.
Cars are meant to be driven, well the real ones are, it's my passion after superbikes. One of the wife's favourite things to do is go on a drive away from the everyday chores of work etc but it's got to be in a car that has "feel". Although A to B cars are pretty good by todays standard and they do exactly what they are designed for, go A to B, but I'm not a fan.
The reason the majority of petrol heads love old school cars and V8's is because they are simple and make you smile.
Stick to your guns @Thundercliffe81
My opinion folks.

Reactions: RS4B5, Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
Interesting comments regarding the technology. For me I like the LED lights for exterior/interior, some nav features, but not keen on the VC and overly intrusive safety features or the interactive side of it much.
Cars are meant to be driven, well the real ones are, it's my passion after superbikes. One of the wife's favourite things to do is go on a drive away from the everyday chores of work etc but it's got to be in a car that has "feel". Although A to B cars are pretty good by todays standard and they do exactly what they are designed for, go A to B, but I'm not a fan.
The reason the majority of petrol heads love old school cars and V8's is because they are simple and make you smile.
Stick to your guns @Thundercliffe81
My opinion folks.

I am man. I am. These V8s are out performed by a lot of cars nowadays but it's all about how they make you feel. I think superbike for a weekend would be in insane adrenaline hit. I absolutely get people that have that set up

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
Agree, you just cannot beat the sound of a V8...ok a V12 :whistle2:
Would LOVE a superbike, but would kill myself :scared2:

Reactions: RS4B5, Jcbmally and Thundercliffe81
Agree, you just cannot beat the sound of a V8...ok a V12 :whistle2:
Would LOVE a superbike, but would kill myself :scared2:

Fact number 1!! I'd love a Ducati but I 'will' die! Haha.

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Haha, it's not the bike that will kill you it's all the other nutters and road furniture, BUT, nothing compares to the adrenaline rush of a superbike. MV Augusta 1090RR that's probably way to loud.

MV Brutale 1090RR

Haha, it's not the bike that will kill you it's all the other nutters and road furniture, BUT, nothing compares to the adrenaline rush of a superbike. MV Augusta 1090RR that's probably way to loud.

View attachment 163904

Flipping eck. Just love a bike screaming past, overtaking. Properly going for it.

Reactions: Jcbmally

View attachment 163904
No, not the bike, rather me going too fast for my "lack of" ability...oh, and other road users wouldn't help :sadlike:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Thundercliffe81