Rear calipers on '55 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

stvbez

Reaction score
So ordered some new Brembo calipers as my rears were binding and looking pretty worse for wear with corrosion getting through the piston rubber seal area so a refurb probably would not last long.

Anyhow so got the new brembos but the caliper to piston gap is 50mm where the oem gap is around 59mm ... clearly cannot get the new calipers on although all other mounting points are spot on. What gives? Did they change the caliper at some point in the model production? - do some cars have a fatter disc? Are the pads too think?!

Any clue on the oem part number ? I could not find one anywhere on the original calipers. Gone back to supplier as they advertised to fit the car but lets see... no less than £200 worth :(

I should add rear discs are vented ... is this stock specification?

Cheers
Steve

If you ordered the correct part from Brembo or supplier and they don't fit then you should be able to return without any hassle as they av sent the wrong ones but if you ordered the wrong size then thats a different story and supplier maybe change .

Pretty sure there were several different makes of rear caliper, TRW and ATE for a start (off the top of my head) and i know you have to order pads to suit.

Looks like some fit the vented disc and some the plain (thinner) disc ... might be easier to change discs to non vented

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quattro has 22mm vented rear discs and takes a TRW caliper with a 17 embossed in the casting a the back. Other calipers are suitable to 12mm solid non vented discs. FWIW.

The pair of Brembo's I have I will try and return yet they are moaning because I tried to fit the caliper and there could be signs of use - can u believe if they didn't fit how did I use them. Anyway thats another story. Audi want 190£ each - the bay had a "new" TRW pair for £155 odd. Lets see if they really are new or refurbs.