Next model A3

Ah, I did see that awhile back, but was confusing above (Performance) with TCR.

It looks interesting but I’m not sure about the ‘external graphics’ and if it’s 3 door only.

Reactions: NevMan
hello guys!

Have just arrived from an Audi dealer, and they told me due to WLTP so many motors are under regulation.

I'm thinking about changing my 2013 S3 8V for a new one, so the surprise was Audi is going to change the HP from S3 to 300 due to emission regulations...

I also asked if it would affect other engines, but for example RS3 is under regulation, but will keep the same HP (400)

This is commonplace. Some petrols are also getting particulate filters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t know why... just considering not to choose the new S3 :(

GTI:
- Virtual cockpit as standard
- Matrix LED headlights as standard
- Heated seats as standard
- Adaptive cruise control with collision assist as standard
- Arguably better handling
- Less nickable, cheaper insurance
- Just as much fun (arguably more so)

S3:
- Four wheel drive
- Faster 0-60
- Four rings on the front

You decide.

Reactions: KenL and Snake Pliskin
"It's not clear whether Volkswagen will offer a six-speed manual gearbox."

Read somewhere already that it's DSG only.

All future GTI & R variants will be DSG only. Was hoping at least the GTI may retain the manual option.

that would be a shame, but does seem to be the way it is going across VAG

GTI:
- Virtual cockpit as standard
- Matrix LED headlights as standard
- Heated seats as standard
- Adaptive cruise control with collision assist as standard
- Arguably better handling
- Less nickable, cheaper insurance
- Just as much fun (arguably more so)

S3:
- Four wheel drive
- Faster 0-60
- Four rings on the front

You decide.

Not exactly comparing like with like. The golf r is the better comparison. Gti is closer to the 2.0tfsi.
Anyway another point will be the Audi probably has higher residual so cheaper on lease and pcp which is where it will swing it for some.

Read somewhere already that it's DSG only.

All future GTI & R variants will be DSG only. Was hoping at least the GTI may retain the manual option.
Oh :( This makes me cry. GTI should be manual.

I like the Golfs but VW insist on adding 'standard equipment' to the models I would consider that I don't want. Audi have always given me a greater choice of options that have allowed me to order just the car I want.

I like the Golfs but VW insist on adding 'standard equipment' to the models I would consider that I don't want. Audi have always given me a greater choice of options that have allowed me to order just the car I want.

At a cost !!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

What kind of equipment would you not want.

I can’t think of any option I’d be annoyed with if it came fitted as standard at no extra charge ?

Sure there are some options I would choose not to pay extra for ... but if fitted as standard that’s a different matter.

Reactions: KenL, Tom.H and NevMan
I "only" have a 1.0 A3 so i can give an unbiased opinion.

I would go for a GTI over an S3 or an R.

Plenty power, better handling and a timeless image.

To Snake Pliskin...

I agree except wouldn't want a sunroof.

To Snake Pliskin...

I agree except wouldn't want a sunroof.
On the subject of sunroof I noticed on my order sheet that it says sunroof delete £0 but if I wanted it as an option it would probably be £1k+.
Surely if it’s deleted for free then I can undelete for free.

At a cost !!
Yes but I would rather pay for a car fitted with what I want that pay for a car fitted as standard with options that I don't. Cost is not the most important as far as I'm concerned. Getting the car I want is.

As an example, when I purchased my current A3, (remember I am now longer a boy racer being 71) I wanted a car that had a reasonable amount of power and was comfortable to drive for my long journeys to Germany and Switzerland. Therefore I wanted standard suspension and 17" wheels. I do not want or need a sunroof, I don't want black headlining or tinted windows. Options I do want are heated seats, electrically operated seats plus a few other options which are available on the Golf as well. At the time I wanted a 2.0 TDI 184 bhp engine with a DSG gearbox. The only Golf that offered this was the Golf GTD. I had a test drive in one but I did not like the wheel and suspension setup, it came with tinted windows and a black headlining. There was no option to delete any of these. I also wanted electrically operated seats and these were not available as an option.

Perhaps the choices on the new Golf 8 and the new A3 will be different. I will have to wait and see but I will almost certainly buy one or the other. Having had either a Golf, a Golf GTI, a Golf VR6 or an A3 since 1976 I don't see me changing from the brands (VAG) I like. I only changed from a Golf to an Audi when VW decided to stop production of the 2.8 VR6.

My choices may well not match with a lot of peoples but they are what I want and am quite happy to pay for. After all I've got to spend my money on something!

Reactions: unitzero, Tom.H, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
What really annoys me with Audi’s options sheet is that you see something like Virtual Cockpit £480. You think ok.. that’s a bit pricey considering it’s largely a gimmick but for £480 I’ll take a punt. Only to find it has to go with the Tech Pack. Which is not £480, it’s £1500 (off the top of my head without checking the actual price but you get the gist). Then you think ahh B&O for £500. Tick. NEIN!!!! You must also have the comfort pack so that’ll be £1500 please. Why do I need heated seats and auto dimming rear view mirror just so I can have B&O? Particularly when half this stuff should be standard anyway.

Reactions: Kondax, Snake Pliskin and NevMan

I can’t think of any option I’d be annoyed with if it came fitted as standard at no extra charge ?

Sure there are some options I would choose not to pay extra for ... but if fitted as standard that’s a different matter.

Brake assist !!!! Came on my Mk7 Golf GTI.

You're going round a round-a-bout and someone cuts across. But as a human, we are able to judge speed and distance. So you know that you don't need to lift, or brake to avoid the car. However ........ KITT decides that the car in front is too close so suddenly applies the brakes when you're not expecting it. Always interesting when you are turning at the same time.

It can't be turned off either.

What really annoys me with Audi’s options sheet is that you see something like Virtual Cockpit £480. You think ok.. that’s a bit pricey considering it’s largely a gimmick but for £480 I’ll take a punt. Only to find it has to go with the Tech Pack. Which is not £480, it’s £1500 (off the top of my head without checking the actual price but you get the gist). Then you think ahh B&O for £500. Tick. NEIN!!!! You must also have the comfort pack so that’ll be £1500 please. Why do I need heated seats and auto dimming rear view mirror just so I can have B&O? Particularly when half this stuff should be standard anyway.

Completely agree! They do MAKE you take some options that you don’t necessarily want or need. When I bought my Q5, VC £250, however have to take Tech Pack for £1350. In hindsight however I do wish I had gone for Tech Pack, but next time maybe

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
Brake assist !!!! Came on my Mk7 Golf GTI.

You're going round a round-a-bout and someone cuts across. But as a human, we are able to judge speed and distance. So you know that you don't need to lift, or brake to avoid the car. However ........ KITT decides that the car in front is too close so suddenly applies the brakes when you're not expecting it. Always interesting when you are turning at the same time.

It can't be turned off either.

Lol & KITT pmsl :tearsofjoy:

Agreed, looking at a lot of them now - if you want B&O you have to choose the comfort and sound pack which includes advanced key. I’m not fussed about advanced key but would want B&O, stupid you can’t have it on its own!

Keyless entry/start is the only one I can think off... though suppose sunroof as mentioned below. Although a sunroof is the thing I WANT on mine! can just imagine the car sounding even better with the roof open, plus the added light is nice

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Options/equipment l would like not to have are heated seats have had them on my last 4 and have used them at all on all of the cars, had keyless it was OK but I easily live and sleep better without it and l suppose l could live without bang&Olufsen and matrix candles as well
Nice seats, virtual Cockpit, Pano Roof, 19"s,privacy,folding mirrors and most of all.... a nice paint colour l just could not live without

Agree with that jassy, I had a GTI, stage 1 tune and about 260bhp and it suffered from axle tramp even in the dry.

As long as I stay in cars with 300 odd BHP then 4WD only for me, the traction in the S3 in any conditions is immense..

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Civic and old focus rs had more than that as fwd. worked well on both cars.

I have driven a MK2 Focus RS and yes it didn't suffer axle tramp it just spun the front wheels up instead, sounded awesome though :grinning:
The S3 just squats and goes.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Civic and old focus rs had more than that as fwd. worked well on both cars.
Did they really erm.... My focus ST 250 BHP terrible axle as did my civic type R 200 bhp but it wasn't as bad as the ford's that was like bucking bronco simulator lol

Once you got moving

fn2 type r?
Yup, the FN2 l know the all new type R seemingly doesn't suffer from it though, but that's a near enough a track car as was the previous one,sure the last real Focus RS.... With the Revo knuckle did to a certain extent all fwd cars will suffer from axle tramp in some way especially in the wet

I had an ep3 and accord type r that was tweaked.
Fn2 was not a good type r especially after ek9 and ep3. That’s when I stopped buying hondas when the fn2 came out.
Only problem was launch but once moving powerful fwd were ok. Driven a civic with 400+ bhp and it was a right laugh apart from launching it.

Reactions: Jassyo06