Turbo blown

tom brown

Reaction score
Hi, had the dreaded news that the turbo has gone on my a3 tdi 170 tdi and was looking for the best place to get a replacement, been quoted £1176 so far fitted (ouch) not looking to increase the power or anything like that
just a standard replacement. also not sure if to go for new remanufactured or refurb the current one on the car any advice appriecianted thanks tom

You are in the right place, I think you just have to wait for the right person to come along with experience and advice relating to your problem.
I wouldn't want to advise you on this as I have been lucky and never had this problem, so my advice wouldn't be based on any experience.

While you wait, it might be an idea to track down the part number for the correct turbo and do a bit of online searching for the part, you will probably find it much cheaper.

cheers dave, ive looked at a few places who either recon mine or exchange like aet turbos in chester and turbo clinic but unsure on which is the best route to take with it or to replace with a new unit or even a hybrid.

The Garratt part number for your turbo is GT1749VC, a genuine one can be had for around £800, always change the oil feed pipe (about £40) and add about 4 hours labour to this. The £1176 price you were quoted doesn’t sound too far off if it was for a genuine turbo.

If you go for a remanufactured unit make sure it is from a reputable company, comes with a warranty and I would probably pay on a credit card too!! Seen loads of remans give problems, but also seen some from decent places that have been fine.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and tom brown
That looks like a really good deal. Just make sure it arrives in a genuine box, and pay through PayPal.

Probably sounds a bit parinoyed, but I received a fake Sachs clutch and flywheel this morning form an eBay company!!

Other places to look at are Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Techniks and CR Turbos, but they will all be more than that eBay price.

Reactions: tom brown
No worries, Forgot to add, I assumed your car was 2wd when I mentioned 4 hours labour. If it’s Quattro then add another 2/3 hours.

I'm not saying that item is sub standard, but for me personally it would fall into the 'Too good to be true' category where the price is concerned.

They take your old one in as px so genuine housings used. The actua cartridges can cost about £100 so actually not that unbelievable.

Btw that’s why I’d get them to fit so they fix if it blows

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Garratt don't supply spare parts for their VNT turbos, so most cheap re-manufactured turbos contain a cheap Chinese copy cartridge.
I have personally seen loads of these last less than a year, or have all sorts of running issues due to badly setup VNT mechanisms and actuators.

It may be fine, but would you want to pay 4-5 hours labor again if it fails in a year? The garage wont be interested if you supply the parts.

And what if the compressor wheel lets go, or the shaft snaps and all the little pieces of aluminum get sucked in and write off your engine, seen this happen plenty of times! Not to mention the bearing letting go dumping all you engine oil into the inlet causing hydro lock.

By all means try a super cheap turbo, but be aware of the risks.