res delete, faulty valves..

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Ive just fitted a res delete and whilst at it i noticed only 2 out of the 4 pipes were in use, i checked it was in dynamic and it is but still only 2. Am i right in thinking that on tick over in dynamic all 4 should work and then when you pull away 2 shut off until 3000 revs. If theres a problem with the plug connection will they default to 2 or 4 with no power getting to them?

The only way I could get mine to open at idle was to put the S-Tronic into S mode or cycle the modes back to dynamic, which just has the same effect.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
On idle I have 2 in play( dynamic). Audi service guy with S3 has the same. Not sure on when it switches to 4 pipes with revs.

Reactions: Starry
There was a FL s3 in the workshop and in dynamic all 4 pipes were working.

You gotta put it in dynamic then unplug the exhaust flap connection. Then reboot car and all will work.

Theres a little video knockin about on here somewere

You gotta put it in dynamic then unplug the exhaust flap connection. Then reboot car and all will work.

Theres a little video knockin about on here somewere
If you want to keep them open yes, but sounds like Starry is saying even with the cable in and in dynamic the valves aren't open (which they should be =) )

As for what happens though if the cable has a fault, I guess it just remains in the last state - which I guess would be closed..? But this is just a guess ;)

any idea if they were opening before res delete?

Reactions: lucaslfc and Starry
The only way I could get mine to open at idle was to put the S-Tronic into S mode or cycle the modes back to dynamic, which just has the same effect.
That is correct....stick into dynamic and S mode...all 4 will open on idle. Dynamic does not operate on start up, unless it is recycled.

Ive tried starting it up and then putting it in Dynamic but still have 2 pipes working, Ive been out for a drive and going between efficiency and dynamic sounds the same to me. With the res delete i think it would more noticeable than without. Im thinking they're not opening at all.
Can i just clarify, from the factory without any mods, do all 4 pipes open on ticker in dynamic?
P.S, its manual..

Mine's a manual, not sure it should make a difference. In dynamic I have two pipes on idle. Need a few more people's input in what they've got. The audi engineer mentioned the other two pipes don't open till ~3k

Mine's a manual, not sure it should make a difference. In dynamic I have two pipes on idle. Need a few more people's input in what they've got. The audi engineer mentioned the other two pipes don't open till ~3k
The facelift i tried had all 4 open on idle. On my RS4 they were open on tickover then close on pull away and then reopen at 3k.

@DJAlix can you shed a definitive answer to the exhaust flap conundrum please. Please see comments above.

The facelift i tried had all 4 open on idle. On my RS4 they were open on tickover then close on pull away and then reopen at 3k.

That is the correct function all open at idle in S mode, close on take off and re-open @ 3K Dynamic mode will have to be recycled as it defaults to auto on startup. Note do this test with a warm engine, as Dynamic can not be used for engine profile when cold. You will have to unplug all 4 valves in the open position, if you wish to leave it in this function.

@DJAlix can you shed a definitive answer to the exhaust flap conundrum please. Please see comments above.
Never had an issue with Start Car, ADS = Dynamic and in S. This is via using a real tool like VCDS and not apps and all doors closing but not locked.

I've started the car and then selected efficiency and then dynamic and they're not opening.

Just been out to mine. No matter what mode. All four open at idle. Different to a few weeks back at audi where both mine and his 67 facelift were only 2 at idle. Rev the car to ~1500 And the two outboard shut, no matter what mode. Over 3k no change. Come off throttle all four open and it burbles to idle.

That is the correct function all open at idle in S mode, close on take off and re-open @ 3K Dynamic mode will have to be recycled as it defaults to auto on startup. Note do this test with a warm engine, as Dynamic can not be used for engine profile when cold. You will have to unplug all 4 valves in the open position, if you wish to leave it in this function.
Manual cars don't have S. Is this info from audi, what source is it from please?

Should you be able to hear the flap valves motor over? I've had my head down there when the modes are being cycled in the car and can't hear anything like a motor motoring.

Strange that they all seem to be different.

On the FL S3 i had a play with in the workshop you could hear the flaps opening and shutting with a definite note change.

Just had a thought on mine going from 2 to 4. Soon after I had the mechanic check mine and his. My car went in for an update for intermittent needle sweep. After I got it back the misses did say it sounded throatier. Obviously they didn't do any work on the valves as far as I'm aware but instead of 2 pipes at idle I have 4 on idle. Any mode 4 on idle. ~1500 2 And stays 2 throughout rev range. Does load on the engine make a difference as I'm doing all this in neutral.

Strange that they all seem to be different.
Yeah....

So mine is PFL S-tronic:
ONLY in dynamic will all 4 be open at idle, I stick my fingers in the exhaust tips to check

But, since I had my res delete I was seeing how things were with the flap connector plugged in (stock). On motorway at 3K RPM I noticed NO difference between efficiency and dynamic mode, which I thought was strange....

I've not had my head near the rear of the car when cycling between modes to see if I can hear anything, obviously though in dynamic there are more revs are idle 1100~ or whatever, so it's noisier anyway.

Yeah....

So mine is PFL S-tronic:
ONLY in dynamic will all 4 be open at idle, I stick my fingers in the exhaust tips to check

But, since I had my res delete I was seeing how things were with the flap connector plugged in (stock). On motorway at 3K RPM I noticed NO difference between efficiency and dynamic mode, which I thought was strange....

I've not had my head near the rear of the car when cycling between modes to see if I can hear anything, obviously though in dynamic there are more revs are idle 1100~ or whatever, so it's noisier anyway.
I have no change in idle revs in any mode. (Manual box like Starry)

Not looked as yet but there might be a way you can monitor the "flaps" status via VCDS and measuring blocks in order to confirm functionality.

I found this when trying to see why mine wouldn't open.

Go to the Engine Tab. then click the "Adv Meas. Values", this should open the screen below.

ex2-jpg.137930

Type "flap" into the box on the right and it should then show the list as above.
Tick the items as above and they should then show the live values on the left.

Mine are disabled at the moment so that's why it shows N/A in the activation entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJAlix
Well, wether the car is warm or cold and regardless of mode I'm defiantly only on 2.
Ive got a bit of motorway driving to do tomorrow so ill see what happens over 3k.

Phoning audi tommorow as I'm still under warranty. Going to get to the bottom of this. Get it booked in.

I had a little play on the motorway this morning, had the car in 4th with the revs way above 3k and cycling between the modes I get no change in sound. With the res delete I would think with the sound would be very noticeable.

I remember when I test drove an auto prior to my manual purchase and there was a very definate change in exhaust note, quite substantial. I don't get this at all in my manual. Maybe manuals have an underlying problem that needs investigating.

I bought the res delete to make it sound better thinking the valves were open, maybe I’d of been happy if they were actually open and not neede the delete. :boxing:

Reactions: oli356
Spoke to audi technician this morning. Got some info.
1. Manual cars don't increase in revs when in dynamic.
2. You should hear the valves click or motor in some shape or form.
3. Temp of the engine does have a contributing factor in valve position, although he couldn't verify if it should switch between 2 and 4 pipes.
4. There is no audi workshop encyclopedia with regards to valves.
5. There should be a distinct exhaust note change from eco to dynamic. I don't have that, I'm sure other have varying results.
6. Just revving it in neutral with no load will give wrong results as the engine has no load on it.
7. He has an S3 8V on the forecourt. He is going to do some investigation and get back to me either this afternoon or tommorow morning.
8. He couldn't explain why mine went from 2 to 4 pipes at idle after I had a software update for intermittent needle sweep.
Results to follow.

Interesting, I can see some black around the pipes with the valves so they must be working sometimes. Sounds the same in any mode though..

So there’s no definitive answer to what the valves should and when on a manual....:readit:

Seems not, but will endeavour to get to the bottom of it. Audi UK are useless, bunch of pen pushers. As soon as I know I'll post up.

Reactions: GregS3, Starry and oli356
Well I tried. Took 2 days for Audi to get back to me. Well I phoned and eventually got him after 2 days. I'm sorry to report that we are no further on. The one he had there is different to mine. He has said he would need to have my car in to the workshop to get the parameters of the car then contact Audi technical with those figures to see what level of spec the car is at to see if my car is behaving as it should do. Basically he waffled his way through the conversation. Time to get the car booked in under warranty. Again more to follow.

That’s crazy, the car must have factory setting when it’s made. The manuals must start out life all the same...

That’s crazy, the car must have factory setting when it’s made. The manuals must start out life all the same...
That's what I said to him, but he said it depends on what software level it's at. Date it was made, spec of car. Gearbox. As I said I'm on the case. Will do a full temp run, see what mines doing cold at all revs and warm at all revs and in all modes.

They will all very in software and hardware from year to year but the cars should all work the same on leaving the factory with regards to things like exhaust flaps.

Reactions: Leevr
That guy from Audi is talking through a hole in his hat....I presume he is customer service and generally they are not car savvy. Why have you not taken it to the dealer to verify correct valve operation in dynamic/S mode?
Also just park the car in neutral re-engage dynamic/S mode and check that you feel hot air coming from all 4 pipes at idle or not.

Last edited:
Both manual cars, so no S. Mine has 4 pipes on idle no matter what mode. 1500 revs 2 close and stay closed no matter what mode or revs. Can't verify car in gear moving for obvious reasons. He was a tech. Even he was unsure what configuration each car should be in for a given scenario, hence why I'm booking it in for them to download the cars info and get onto Audi technical.

Last edited: