Facelift Automatic Headlights - how to adjust when they come on.

AL_B

Reaction score
Since having this car, I’d noticed that the headlights nearly always seemed to be on - even when it was pretty-much broad daylight.

I just put it down to just the light sensor being over-sensitive, until yesterday when I was just browsing through the menus under Car Settings.

So apologies to those who already know about this setting. But this is what I found...

8a83a087639148f30d70ea09486605b3.jpg

Mine was set to Medium. So I’ve set it to Late.

How late is “late” I do not know, but in daylight at 7:30am this morning the headlights were not on, so for me that’s a result!

DRL’s were working as normal, as you’d expect.

Hope this helps others.

AL

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Lehn
Mine have always been fine on the Medium setting but the inconsistency is no surprise given the discussion and varying experiences on the Auto Wipers thread

Reactions: AL_B
I have mine on medium but not conserned with it going on a bit earlier. I also have rear DRL enabled though. Nothing annoys me more than drivers who don't have their lights on as the sun starts to set.

My high beam takes a battering of on/off telling people to turn their lights on.

Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B
Never use the auto light function waste of money that is, nor do l use the auto wiper function again pointless and erratic gizmos... .. Constant unnecessary use of headlights diminishes their effectiveness .... Ie they become less bright over time

Reactions: Phutters and KenL
On the subject of LED lighting, is there anyway to adjust the level? I know they are supposed to be 'auto levelling' but mine seem to shine quite low on the tarmac?

Never use the auto light function waste of money that is, nor do l use the auto wiper function again pointless and erratic gizmos... .. Constant unnecessary use of headlights diminishes their effectiveness .... Ie they become less bright over time

I gotta disagree mate, I think it's a great function. When you consider all new cars have DRL's now and thus an illuminated instrument cluster, the amount of people that drive around without their headlights on is alarming.

Reactions: Reggieboy71 and oli356

You old fart! :haha: Do you also walk over to your TV to change channel? :whistle2: :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: paul wev, AllanG and Mark_86
I gotta disagree mate, I think it's a great function. When you consider all new cars have DRL's now and thus an illuminated instrument cluster, the amount of people that drive around without their headlights on is alarming.

Well l ain't one of them lol what's the point of having auto headlights when the Rears lights are constantly on theres nothing more stupid looking with someone with there headlights on in Broad daylight

Well l ain't one of them lol what's the point of having auto headlights when the Rears lights are constantly on theres nothing more stupid looking with someone with there headlights on in Broad daylight
There's nothing more stupid than someone with no headlights when it's dark because people are too thick to turn them on*

Auto is optional so I think the feature is a good idea, as long as people do check if they are on when the weather is a bit hit and miss (misty for instance...)

There's nothing more stupid than someone with no headlights when it's dark because people are too thick to turn them on*

Auto is optional so I think the feature is a good idea, as long as people do check if they are on when the weather is a bit hit and miss (misty for instance...)

It will be standard soon - You used to be able to turn the DRL's off but not anymore although good idea so you can see people before you pull out which is why Motorbikes have always been on

Don't know why rear light's weren't on though because the amount of people who drive with front drl's and dash lit up (this shouldn't come on unless you turn headlights on - this would help the thick people) who can't work out they haven't actually turned the lights on - I think rears are now on Audi's

Reactions: Audi Bairn and oli356

Who's talking about headlights off when it's dark.....
Threads growing arms & legs here, you or anyone who likes to use there dipped beam during the day or long before Dusk charge on .... .l will use my dipped beam when l feel its required

Reactions: Phutters
Who's talking about headlights off when it's dark.....
Threads growing arms & legs here, you or anyone who likes to use there dipped beam during the day or long before Dusk charge on .... .l will use my dipped beam when l feel its required
Well the thread is about headlights which are used when its dark ......

And carry on with doing as you please.. but I'm just saying its a good feature because of the amount of idiots who don't turn them on.

So if you want to turn them on manually and do so at a suitable time of day, carry on - I have no problem with this =) ... but for the idiots out there - I'd rather the car turns the lights on and therefore think its not a waste of money.
Never use the auto light function waste of money that is

Well the thread is about headlights which are used when its dark ......

And carry on with doing as you please.. but I'm just saying its a good feature because of the amount of idiots who don't turn them on.

So if you want to turn them on manually and do so at a suitable time of day, carry on - I have no problem with this =) ... but for the idiots out there - I'd rather the car turns the lights on and therefore think its not a waste of money.
The next thing you'll be saying is that street lights should be on during the day
You can't police the roads constantly for idiots driving without there headlights.... on even worse folks driving around with faulty/****** headlights.... So get aff yer soap box lol
And yes the auto light function on a car is no use to me ...... Terrible thing that having to turn a knob ......

The next thing you'll be saying is that street lights should be on during the day
You can't police the roads constantly for idiots driving without there headlights.... on even worse folks driving around with faulty/****** headlights.... So get aff yer soap box lol
And yes the auto light function on a car is no use to me ...... Terrible thing that having to turn a knob ......
I'm not saying to use lights during the day, at least in addition to DRL.

Policing idiots makes long journeys go by quicker though :) I'm usually quite successful with it too! (when it's dusk/dark, not the middle of day when I couldn't care less).

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06

I'm somewhere in the middle.
The auto wipers are gash, better off operating them manually much of the time.
But the auto headlights work perfectly, on mine anyway, therefore they don't come on unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom.H

Just curious, why did you spec 'matrix candles' ?

I agree, mine are far too sensitive going on often in broad daylight.

I'll be looking for that setting change in the morning.

Is this option available with Xenons?

Auto headlights are useful, especially for our European friends who are required by law to switch on their headlights whenever they enter a road tunnel, even short ones. Most people in the UK without auto lights just don't bother.

Reactions: AL_B, Audi Bairn, Ormesome and 1 other person
Quite happy with the change.
This morning it was very gloomy and snowing, and the headlights still came on.

Also yesterday at dusk, the lights came on, just at the time I would have put them on manually.

Agree with auto wiper comments - waste of time and tend to wipe when not required to, but don’t auto-wipe when it’s raining!

Reactions: Audi Bairn