B8.5 Fog Light Upgrade?

Chris90

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I have the DRL colour matched fog light bulbs off Trups and had them near enough 2 years since I bought my A4. However, on these foggy nights, ive found they dont really do anything. im not sure whether this is a common thing for a B8.5 or my bulbs are passing their age. At present, on a dark road, they are only marginally brighter than the output from the DRLs alone!

So, is there any upgrade kits out there that actually increase light output, working in fog and are colour matched to the DRLs (which is important as hated the yellow against the white DRLs when unlocked the car)

Thanks

Chris

Interesting as I’m thinking of getting the LED fogs - out of interest, did you find the yellow fogs did their job (of helping you in fog!) better than the LED ones, or were the yellows rubbish as well in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never really got chance to test the original ones, so cant comment on how good they were. Changed purely for the colour of the fogs whilst unlocking the car.

I have some blue tinted bulbs in there at present, not LED. Would be interesting to see how the LED ones faired up against the current tinted ones for the white look

the yellow colour is meant to be better for seeing through the fog, whereas the bright white light just reflects off of it, like when you make the mistake of putting full beams on in fog, and it only makes it harder to see because it reflects right back at you.
I changed my last set for bright white as it looked nicer aesthetically, but just made it more difficult to see, however i find the front fog lights in general pretty rubbish on all cars except for the occasion of lighting up cat eyes when it is torrential rain :)

Never really got chance to test the original ones, so cant comment on how good they were. Changed purely for the colour of the fogs whilst unlocking the car.

I have some blue tinted bulbs in there at present, not LED. Would be interesting to see how the LED ones faired up against the current tinted ones for the white look

When you say you have blue tinted ones at present, so you previously had trups LED versions in? Or is it that the blue tinted versions are actually trups bulbs? I thought he only did LED fogs but if you’ve had them two years it might be that he did blue tinted non-LEDs before.

They were just your normal blue tinted bulb that's designed to give out a white light. Something along lines of these:
s-l300.jpg

Was told to keep off the LED bulbs due to it throwing a error on the dash for the bulb warning, however, when I had mine disconnected a few month back, no bulb warning unless physically turned the bulbs on.

I understand the yellow penetrates the fog better, but surely a white must be similar if light output good enough?

Oh right, I thought the fogs trups did were LED but I may just be making that up actually :)

I am wanting to do this also.

The standard fogs on my car (b8.5) are rubbish too :yes:

Just ordered some Puddle Light replacements (http://emtuning.co.uk/shop/audi-puddle-light/) & Halogen Fogs from @T2ups (http://emtuning.co.uk/shop/h8-fitment-5500k/) - he's got the LED version of the Fogs which are much brighter - given that this is more for aesthetic reasons (ie I have OCD big time) I stuck with the most OEM poss.

Fitted the same ones a while back now - No problems with them and look a lot better - If you have not done already, do the interiors ones as well.

img_0430-jpg.132017

Fitted the same ones a while back now - No problems with them and look a lot better - If you have not done already, do the interiors ones as well.

img_0430-jpg.132017

Agree, that looks crisp! Looking forward to fitting mine this week when they arrive!

Interiors done already , just considering a slightly brighter led for the ambient footwells (Trups has also suggested some which are x3 brighter - without looking like a Christmas tree!)

Reactions: A4A4