Crankshaft pulley broken! Destroyed the belts grrr

CharlieSAudi

Reaction score
Evening all,

Wonder if anyone could shed any help please.

Basically managed to get the car in service mode with just enough room to remove crankshaft pulley bolts, but as the actual pulley has separated I’m having no luck getting the old pulley off!.

Both belts are off and have replacements along with new crankshaft but just cant get the git off :(. Bought a puller but it’s kinda to big to get in that space which is annoying. Anyone got any tips or suggestions please ?

Would this one work by any chance ?

4E0D0E4A 25EF 4BD5 960B 24FDF30127B4

Thank you in advance

It doesn't take that long to fold open the front of the car. You don't need to degas the aircon just drain the rad down . You have a clear run at the pulley then

It doesn't take that long to fold open the front of the car. You don't need to degas the aircon just drain the rad down . You have a clear run at the pulley then

Thanks for responding mate, do you mean take the whole front end off, crash bar etc.

I did think that might be the next best thing. I’ve sprayed the pulley with wd40 once I admitted defeat today so hopefully that sets in going to have another crack at it Sunday so hopefully a slight knock may take it off if not I’ll strip it down.

Yes they are designed to fold open if you know what I mean. The aircon connections on the drivers side are hoses with enough flex to allow the front to be opened up.

Yes they are designed to fold open if you know what I mean. The aircon connections on the drivers side are hoses with enough flex to allow the front to be opened up.

Oh yeah with ya. That’s pretty much what I done it can’t go any further forward without pipes etc being disconnected.
It’s just the pulley will not come off no matter how much I wiggle, shake, pull, shout, swear etc all bolts are out but where it’s in two pieces it’s even harder lol but hopefully a good wack now it’s soles in wd40 will do it annoying it’s just that slowing us down :(

*It’s soaked in wd40 will do it, annoyingly.....

Was a long day lol

I can only suggest you post on Audizine (if you haven't already) - I know that a number of owners on there have had OE crank pulley failures (although I can't remember reading of anyone who had the same problem of one half seized onto the crank).

I can only suggest you post on Audizine (if you haven't already) - I know that a number of owners on there have had OE crank pulley failures (although I can't remember reading of anyone who had the same problem of one half seized onto the crank).

Ok Dippy thanks for letting me know I’ll do it now. Really hoping when I get to the car tomorrow as it’s been soaked a couple knocks will do it !.

Also read through your post the other day with your new car quality write up mate got me right into it haha

Managed to get the pulley of in the end with a good old wack.

Job done .

Also fitted new grill just need to add plate and Audi logo .

Reactions: Roadrunner146
I did want to change the pulley and supercharger pulley but realised I would need a remap but as I still want to do a few more bits I.e air filter, exhaust. I’ll just did the standard setup for now and remap it to the additional bits I fit. if the pulleys fail again I’ll upgrade.

Most prob a backwards way around but just helps the bank for time being (needed the car on the road) and I’ll be happy with just a stage 1.

Good to know you sorted it. How many years/miles before that OE pulley failed?