Trickle Chargers

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
My car has gone from a daily driver to a weekend toy so it doesn't get used as regularly as it used to. I'm looking at getting a trickle charger so it can stay on charge when in the garage.

In an ideal world I would want one that you can quickly plug in without opening the bonnet every time. Maybe a connector tucked away somewhere that a charger quickly plugs into.

Do these things exist? I've googled but haven't found what I want.

e14f2e459c38537021b2bbdac5b71dc3.jpg
c7665905584e755cf607cf6f7bbda067.jpg

I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 so easy to fit. Does involve lifting the bonnet but it’s like a minute job to connect up. Goes through 8 stages to charge the battery which includes a stage which determines if the battery is good enough.

Charger is £70 on amazon plus accessories around £100 all in.

+1 on Ctek. I have one in my shed which keeps my spare batteries maintained while not in use. They're well worth the money.

I have just actually bought a charger, need something to keep the TT battery alive. Thought about using one of those 24 hour timers and a normal battery charger and just having it come on for 15 minutes every day. Would do the job but decided to have a look around and ordered one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABSAAR-A...an-Jeep-4X4-Motorcycle-Quad-Ski/192041920750?

It's an older Absaar model and probably made in China like most of these things are but Absaar have been making battery chargers for 40 years and some of their offerings are like £500 so they know what they are doing.

There's a PDF manual on this link.
https://www.westfalia.net/shops/car...7973-absaar-battery-charger-6-12v-4-amps.htm?

e14f2e459c38537021b2bbdac5b71dc3.jpg
c7665905584e755cf607cf6f7bbda067.jpg

I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 so easy to fit. Does involve lifting the bonnet but it’s like a minute job to connect up. Goes through 8 stages to charge the battery which includes a stage which determines if the battery is good enough.

I'm guessing you have a lead that is permanently connected to the battery and when you want to charge it you lift the bonnet and connect the charger via the 'Comfort Connect' connections?

This seems like the best solution if I cant find exactly what I want.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Nope on my RS the battery is in the boot and the fly leads come into the bonnet so I just connect it direct to the terminals in there. It’s such an easy setup to do. They do sell a connector to leave it permanently connected to the battery so you can just hook up to it

Reactions: Rob C
If you have a window in your garage, try the AA solar charger. You can clip it to you battery or plug it into the OBD port.
I tried to link it but it wouldn't work. It's sold on Amazon by the AA shop at £23.70. Mine's great.

AA Solar-Powered Car Battery Charger