Facelift Rust!!!

mikemod

Reaction score
Just washed the car and noticed the rear bumper trim starting to rust, car 13 months old !!

IMG 20170917 135932

It seems to be in the trim as looking at it further there is a six inch piece above the rust part which seems to be delaminating.

I looked at the ELSA breakdown and it is only held in with plastic clips, no screws at that point.

Get it back to the dealer for a new part then, my sister in law has just had 2 new wheels under warranty on her 2014 A3 as they were corroding.

Yea it's going in for a service this week so hopefully they just replace it although looking at ELSA it involves taking the entire rear bumper off to get at the clips.

Reactions: Tom.H
But the trim is totally plastic? The whole rear bumper is plastic? It can only be rust from a fixing.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Fatbloke
That silver strip is metal, just tried a magnet and it sticks to it all the way along.

It comes in three pieces, the end pieces are £114 each and the centre piece is £98 :dizzy:

That silver strip is metal, just tried a magnet and it sticks to it all the way along.

It comes in three pieces, the end pieces are £114 each and the centre piece is £98 :dizzy:

Oh that's surprised me, thought it was plastic.

Get it to Audi, should be pretty straight forward and I'd have thought they would have those on next day delivery.

Theirs usually a way around Elsa repair operations unless you're doing it through warranty. Make sure your servicing audi dealer has a bodyshop on sight or they can't do anything about it and will require a re-visit somewhere else. And if they do. Make sure they know in advance or again it may require you to rebook

Had a wheel off today and the inside spigot (inner hub where the bearing cap is) is significantly, and I mean pitted, rusty.

11 months old and never been in the sea etc!

Reactions: Bitzieee
Had a wheel off today and the inside spigot (inner hub where the bearing cap is) is significantly, and I mean pitted, rusty.

Experiment time!

Ask the service advisor 'WHY?' five times.

He will give you a fob off answer probably twice. Then he will disappear top ask a tech probably twice. Then he will finally come back to you with a valid answer. :)

I went to see my car just after it was delivered to the dealer, transport stickers still on just two weeks after being built and mine were already like that..