power loss - Limp mode

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
These last few mornings I've noticed that the car goes into limp mode. I always wait til the water level is hot, but the car goes into a limp mode. Nothing comes up on the display but you can tell it isn't boosting properly. I've just ordered Vag Com off ebay so hopefully this will tell me the problem but wondered if you guys have had similar problems.

I've just replaced the MAF as there was a lumpy idle which has now cured this problem and was hoping it would cure the above but unfortunately it hasn't.

Any more ideas? Coilpack?

BTW the engine management light is not illuminated.

When I get my cable I'll post some fault codes

Thanks in advance

Aky said:
These last few mornings I've noticed that the car goes into limp mode. I always wait til the water level is hot, but the car goes into a limp mode. Nothing comes up on the display but you can tell it isn't boosting properly. I've just ordered Vag Com off ebay so hopefully this will tell me the problem but wondered if you guys have had similar problems.

I've just replaced the MAF as there was a lumpy idle which has now cured this problem and was hoping it would cure the above but unfortunately it hasn't.

Any more ideas? Coilpack?

BTW the engine management light is not illuminated.

When I get my cable I'll post some fault codes

Thanks in advance

sounds like the same problem i had. Asked Audi-Care in leeds to VAG-Com it and turned up a mechanical boost fault (ie N249 valve). The symptoms are, lack of performance (particularly in 3rd), runs out of puff at 80ish, lack of torque. Generally, just feels off for want of a better term. The valve is about £45.

Nice one cheers - bought myself a Vag Com cable so hopefully will be able to figure it out. Its weird because everytime I restarted the motor it would run fine, so I doubt it would be over boosting, possibly coilpack but doesn't sound like its running on 3 cyliders. The symptoms are similar, but maybe thats due to going into limp mode. I'll let you all know what the problem is once I've logged it with Vag Com

i got same problem m8, not sure what it is, cars going in for full service 2moro so hopefully they can fix it.

Let me know how you get on please

Jonesy said:
i got same problem m8, not sure what it is, cars going in for full service 2moro so hopefully they can fix it.

um, maybe wrong here (there's a suprise) but if your car goes into limp mode, doesnt it have to be hooked up to get it out of limp mode ? wasnt aware that it came out of limp mode automatically ? (well it didnt on my s4 )

Well maybe its not limp mode that it goes into. Can anyone shed any light? I thought mine was the MAF registering wrong Air Intake.

Thing is with mine it will do it like a couple of times a month and like mentioned mine will go back to normal once restarted, its like the turbo stops being used.

Mines at garage now being kept over night as they need to realign the timing belt and do some weilding on the exhaust as it was cracked, or 300 quid for new bit, hmmmm? no thx!

my vagcom never comes up with any error when it happens so its a mystery really. probably need to go to audi.

Just noticed this on a different thread. I bet this is the problem

"This sensor is knwon to fail often and wont cause the engine to overheat or likewise. Its usually causes a lack of power as its telling the ecu that the engine is still cold and to restrict power IIRC."

Aky said:
Just noticed this on a different thread. I bet this is the problem

"This sensor is knwon to fail often and wont cause the engine to overheat or likewise. Its usually causes a lack of power as its telling the ecu that the engine is still cold and to restrict power IIRC."

Which sensor is this?

Sorry - Didn't realise that I had missed the main bit out!!
Coolant Sensor

My tdi 130 02 plate seems to have a similar problem i thought it was over boosting mainly in 6th at around 110mph it's revo chipped so i didn't know if it was anything to do with that. I might get one of the VAG.COM things and see if there's any faults