B7 3.0 tdi Sline cab 2006 what mods for front

vinpetrol

Reaction score
hi All
I'm a new member. I've just bought this car and would like to upgrade the front of it. I have looked through the front grills thread but am still a bit confused as to what I can do.
I've ordered some devil eye replacement headlights and I've fitted some S4 Le Mans 19 inch alloys
But I'd like to know what improvements members would do
IMG 2249
IMG 2200

Cheers

Vin

Reactions: TheTomCutler
That doesn't look like an S-Line bumper/grill to me. Makes a big difference . Beautiful car though, those 3.0 TDIs pull like crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What bumper grill does it look like ?
I read somewhere that they were different on a cab ???

Cheers

Vin

Might be I'm not aware of that. The bumper, grill and side skirts look stock to me. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Hi Vin, i posted a pic of my B7 3.0 TDI Cab here. The other s-line bumper is very slightly different. It's probably the thread you looked at but Just Rob. has done a rundown of all the bumpers available and compatible here, my understanding was that it's just these two that are compatible with the cabriolet.

Nice car by the way ;) how much did you have to pay for those alloys? Think i might be looking to upgrade now I've seen yours...

Last edited:
I couldn't believe how many different variations of Audi wheels are made what with rim width height and offset and then tyre size.
I never new a thing about offset etc til I started looking for wheels so I did a bit of research first to see what would fit . I think these were off an S4 or Q3 . My original wheels were 18s width was 8 inches and offset was 43 tyre was 235 40 18
I didn't want a bigger circumference as I wanted to keep the geometry correct on the car but I wanted to fill the arches out a bit more and I really liked either the Le Mans wheels or the rotors on the cab . I found an online calculator for wheels that was brilliant ( if someone can tell me how to attach a link I will put it here) that worked out a 19 inch wheel with a 235 35 19 tyre on it would be virtually the same circumference as my original 18 inch so speedo reading etc barely effected. These wheels had the same offset as mine 43 but the rims are 8.5 inches. This had the effect of the inner face of the wheel moved in 6.7 mm and the outer face moves out 6.7 mm . I thought I might need some 5mm spacers if clearance was tight inside but this would of pushed them further out in the arches . I didn't need the spacers though . I fitted a set of Vredstein 235 35 19 Tyres and they fit perfectly . They fill the arch much better and I don't think they protrude enough to bother any eagle eyed fed!
I think I got a good deal . I paid 550 for them . They are mint but I did need to change the Tyres but the originals are perfect just the wrong size for me so I will sell them.
IMG 1024

Cheers Vin

Hi Vin, i posted a pic of my B7 3.0 TDI Cab here. The other s-line bumper is very slightly different. It's probably the thread you looked at but Just Rob. has done a rundown of all the bumpers available and compatible here, my understanding was that it's just these two that are compatible with the cabriolet.

Nice car by the way ;) how much did you have to pay for those alloys? Think i might be looking to upgrade now I've seen yours...
Hi Tom

I've just pinched a pic of yours to compare the difference . Very nice too!
IMG 2254

IMG 2203

Looks like some subtle changes from mine to yours, it's slightly different where it comes round the corner of the bumper towards the wheel , the front of the fog light bit on mine is part of the bumper and colour coded and yours looks more inset and that it might be separate from the bumper , your grill looks like the little squares are more prominent. I like the look of yours better!

Cheers Vin

That doesn't look like an S-Line bumper/grill to me. Makes a big difference . Beautiful car though, those 3.0 TDIs pull like crazy!

Hi Tony
Could the difference be that they made a upgrade on the bumper between 06 and 07 ?
Yes it does pull like a train ! I'm delighted with it . This one has been really well looked after too. It's like driving a new car.

Cheers
Vin

Allot of the S-line cabs didn't get the S-line front bumper unfortunately, not sure if it changed based on the year or something else, to be honest I didn't think any of them got it but looking at Vin's car and others some of them clearly did.

For front end mod's I'd say the best thing for yours would be an RS4 style grille (and I say style as the none s-line bumper front ones are cheaper and an actual RS4 one won't fit anything but an S-line/RS4 bumper), could always swap the bumper for DTM or S-line but obviously that's be allot more cash. I also like euro plates, smoked headlights/starline DRL type ones and Cupra R splitters.

Reactions: vinpetrol
Very nice too!

Lovely colour and condition, If only mine was in as good nic. There seems to be a gap between the bumper and bonnet, not sure what that's about. Hopefully someone can charge me a fortune to sort

Thanks for the wheel info, looks like I've got some reading to do!

Last edited:
Its not an s-line bumper, but you have an s-line variant cab which is the same situation as many owners, its an SE bumper and as such only non s-line grilles will fit.
You could fit a proper a s-line bumper if you wish if you wanted to use an OEM rs4 grille but the range of grilles is very limited for s-line bumpers so maybe just get an aftermarket grille for non s-line bumpers as there are more around, or you could fit a DTM bumper as it uses the same size grille as your bumper.

Thanks for all the info . It's much appreciated
I think Rob is right . This is an picture of an se we owned a few years ago I just dug out for a look and the front bumper looks exactly the same as my blue cab

IMG 0574

So is Toms one (silver one pictured above ) a proper sline bumper and are they the same as the bumpers fitted to the saloons ?
I Ask because ive been lead to believe that the headlights are different on a cab so I assumed the bumper would be too?

So is Toms one (silver one pictured above ) a proper sline bumper and are they the same as the bumpers fitted to the saloons ?
I Ask because ive been lead to believe that the headlights are different on a cab so I assumed the bumper would be too?
Tom's is a s-line bumper easy way to tell is there more slats on the bottom of the grill under the number plate headlights are the same across all saloon avant(the best) and cab also as Rob point out if you have a s-line bumper and want to change grill theres not really any opiton apart from the really expensive rs4 £400/£500 second hand when they pop up wheres a se bumper yoy can get a rep rs4 grill for less than £200

Reactions: vinpetrol and Charlie Farley
the main difference are ,
1) The grille assembly on an s-line bumper is deeper to start with , and this also means that the lower vent beneath the grille is not as deep on the s-line, but the overall height of the bumper is pretty well the same on both variants.
2) The fog lamp appertures are different, on the s-line bumper the foglamp covers are black and are removable whereas on the non s-line they are part of the bumper.
3) the lower edge along the bottom of the foglamp apperure and around to the side of the s-line bumper has a more aerodynamic curvature shape almost a built in spoiler which the non s-line doesn't have.

The same headlamp shells are used although the actual lamp internal assembly may be standard headlamp or xenon ....both bumpers can have headlamp wash and PDC .....headlamp wash will be standard fitting if xenons are fitted, front PDC is an option.

I've added some indicators to tom's pic for reference ( sorry chap)

Pcd4

Reactions: TheTomCutler, vinpetrol and martin1984
I've done a lot of looking on the internet at different pics.
I looked at the DTM bumpers ( Very nice cars on the DTM thread on this forum )
I Also looked at the difference in the stock and s line with different grills.

I decided I don't want a DTM style bumper as I don't want to achieve that sort of more angled aggressive style look on a convertible. I don't want to make it look like an R S4 cab.

That leaves me either changing the bumper for an sline bumper and putting another grill in it or putting another grill in mine .
In standard shape I prefer the sline bumper but I think some of the aftermarket mesh grilles look really good in the standard bumper.
Has anyone got any pics on the forum of cabs with the standard bumpers and mesh grilles?
What do you think ?

Cheers for all your help/advice it's much appreciated

Vin

I've decided I want a black mesh grille to suit my existing bumper with silver/chrome surround and black mesh grille with the four rings in silver .
I'm struggling to find U.K. Eco anyone know if they are imported by anyone
Or any other options?

Cheers

Vin

20170805 141702

I've just replaced my front bumper on my 3.0 tdi quattro with this which is an s4 and facelifted s-line bumper.
You'll find you'll have to trim down the intercooler scoops each side for it to fit.
The bumper like this has the s-line grill. It also accepts the s4 grill too. Your grill will not fit this bumper.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: vinpetrol and TheTomCutler
View attachment 132840
I've just replaced my front bumper on my 3.0 tdi quattro with this which is an s4 and facelifted s-line bumper.
You'll find you'll have to trim down the intercooler scoops each side for it to fit.
The bumper like this has the s-line grill. It also accepts the s4 grill too. Your grill will not fit this bumper.
Hope that helps.
Very nice. We were keen on a red one but liked the sprint blue when we saw it.
You got the margins nicely lined up after changing the bumper too.
Vin

Lovely colour and condition, If only mine was in as good nic. There seems to be a gap between the bumper and bonnet, not sure what that's about. Hopefully someone can charge me a fortune to sort

Hi Tom
If you search on this forum there is a great thread about how to adjust bumper alignment with loads of pictures. Apparently there is an official Audi method that winds the adjusters up too height when you tighten but it doesn't work . I replaced 1 of the adjusters on mine but still ended up doing it the way it is shown in the thread. It's a bit of a task and helps if you have assistance but worth it in the end.
I had mine of yesterday to fit new headlights and it looks much better now that it's all aligned properly.
Vin

Thanks! I'll have a look and give it a go

Very nice. We were keen on a red one but liked the sprint blue when we saw it.
You got the margins nicely lined up after changing the bumper too.
Vin
Cheers Vin,
I bought the bumper from eBay. It came with the fog light/air scoop trims! grill and front sensors. I just got the bumper sprayed to match. In all cost me around £400. If you buy the bits individually it'll cost you a fortune.
Stu

I've decided I want a black mesh grille to suit my existing bumper with silver/chrome surround and black mesh grille with the four rings in silver .
I'm struggling to find U.K. Eco anyone know if they are imported by anyone
Or any other options?

Cheers

Vin
Hi Vin,
Only just read this, sorry. There's loads of threads that show you how to convert existing grill to mesh if you don't mind doing the work.
Stu

Hi Vin,
Just found this for you:
Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=282331211564&globalID=EBAY-GB

Chrome+Black Front Grille RS4 style Audi A4 Honeycomb mesh 2005-8 RS4 B7

Thanks Stu

I did see this grille before on eBay but I ruled it out because it didn't have the silver rings on the front but looking at the description just now I see it has some sort of back plate to allow you to use original rings.
I would definitely go for this .
Would be helpful if I could find any other members that have fitted it to see what the quality of it is like

Vin

I got the new devils eye headlights fitted , I think the front looks better now with the bumper properly aligned too . I think that grill Stu linked to on eBay would finish the front off.
IMG 1034