S3 Vs Remapped TDi 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
simch said:
I ahd a 170tdi A3 here last week in Germany, very close in rolling on performace on the autobahn to my stock S3, op to say about 130mph anyway.

Lets not cloud the issue...the 170 PD as fitted to the GT Golf and 170 TDI A3 is a WHOLE different kettle of fish...comes on boost sooner than a chipped 130 and has a longer usable rev range (or seemed it to me).
It's also smoother and generally much 'better'.

Although the 2.0 16v 170 PD has similar power to a chipped 1.9 8v 130 PD, the delivery seems much more petrol like to me...and makes for a quicker car.

My old man has replaced his Mk4 Golf GT TDI with a Mk5 GT PD DSG...and that would give a standard S3 a bit of a shock...but much of its gains are from the brilliant DSG and its ability to rocket through the gears where the clunky manual effort in the S3 - or manual diesel - can't...

A3-frankie said:
i agree with simch.
U guys have blown it out of proportion, took the **** and forgotten what he originally said and that is that his car is as quick 40-110 as his mates S3.

Agreed, but who's blowing out of proportion?

marka3130 said:
iess-three you make me laugh i have drove my mates s3 and mine is as fast END OF. i have twice the torque he does and a little less hp 180bhp!!

Just clarifying reality.

My Ibiza Tdi 130(200+bhp) ran 14.6 @ santa pod.

A few of the guys on Cupranet have done 14.5-14.6 with very good starts but these are all 200 bhp cars

A remapped tdi of 180bhp maybe a few 10ths slower but then I have no idea what time a standard S3 can do?

A4Quattro said:
You want diesel power... eat this!

I was looking at buying one of them, but apperantly they are a ****** to start on the cold mornings...

i really thought this forum would be really adult!! not like modified car forums full of chavs!!! All i was trying to say is how suprised i was that my car IS AS FAST AS AN S3 FROM 40-110??? NO argument its facts accept it.

This is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. A remapped tdi with 180 bhp would still never beat a standard s3 at any stage between whatever-whatever. The s3 driver must have been in the wrong gear or something. You only have to look at power graphs of cars with tdi engines to see that there are massive stages on the accelaration curve where the power is peaky. You just dont get the smooth maximum power across the rev range like you do with a petrol.

Diesels are screwed full stop due to the gearing which is shorter due to the lack of revs.

mate i have drove his s3 and because i have more torque i kept up with him i didnt say it was faster why the **** cant you lot accept it ok im going to be childish now any stock s3 meet in bristol and i will show you.

marka3130 said:
ye but i know what your sayin i jus like watching s3 owners faces when they cant get away from me and im stuck to there bumper!!

mark cant help thinking you have not thought this through.fancy posting bold statements like this on this forum.i would be careful what s3 you pick on to embarass because for every stock car out there,there is a remapped one just waiting to kick **** so try to be selective or you will end up looking pretty silly

marka3130 said:
mate i have drove his s3 and because i have more torque i kept up with him i didnt say it was faster why the **** cant you lot accept it ok im going to be childish now any stock s3 meet in bristol and i will show you.

When you've finished your homework, why don't you read all about gearboxes and area under the graph.

As for the chav crap...leave it alone or the next question you'll be answering will whether you prefer a 7 or 14 day ban.

Ess_Three said:
As for the chav crap...leave it alone or the next question you'll be answering will whether you prefer a 7 or 14 day ban.

Wow, you can get s driving ban on this site?!

Sorry for my facetious comment but I've just read this thread and it really is amusing.

Let's vote for it, who'd rather have a mapped oil burning heavyweight or a stock S3 with potential?

The mapped oil burner might have a boat load of torque but mechanically, without serious money, that's it, it's achieved all it's going to...burn more oil and p1ss off S3 drivers because they get sick of childish wannabees! I can just picture you driving like a Terrence in 3rd gear down the M4 waiting for an S3 to come along...such fun!

marka3130 said:
i really thought this forum would be really adult!! not like modified car forums full of chavs!!! All i was trying to say is how suprised i was that my car IS AS FAST AS AN S3 FROM 40-110??? NO argument its facts accept it.

Alright mate, your right, you know better. You diesel is ****** awesome and given your enlightened and obviously factually based comments my S3 is now for sale and I am on the lookout for a big fat derv that I can masturbate over frantically.....

S3Andy said:
My Ibiza Tdi 130(200+bhp) ran 14.6 @ santa pod.

A few of the guys on Cupranet have done 14.5-14.6 with very good starts but these are all 200 bhp cars

A remapped tdi of 180bhp maybe a few 10ths slower but then I have no idea what time a standard S3 can do?

Dam thats not bad!

My mate has a Scooby P1 pushing 320bhp and he was doing 13.5@pod

Nice

marka3130 said:
When was the last time he checked his MAF?

Oh you guys are being so unfair to this guy, I think I'm qualified to make a judgement on TDI PD vs S3, since I own both, though the TDI is in the form of a Passat Estate, it's still slightly tuned and my S3 is remapped also.
This is a FACT OK!, the Passat will out accellerate the S3 no question about it!!.... if you push them both off a cliff, it is a heavier car afterall lol :lmfao:

jojo said:
Oh you guys are being so unfair to this guy, I think I'm qualified to make a judgement on TDI PD vs S3, since I own both, though the TDI is in the form of a Passat Estate, it's still slightly tuned and my S3 is remapped also.
This is a FACT OK!, the Passat will out accellerate the S3 no question about it!!.... if you push them both off a cliff, it is a heavier car afterall lol :lmfao:

Haha! You never did physics did you!! Newton's Law's fella, they will accellerate exactly the same, only when the effect of wind resistance takes hold will one pull away! Weight (mass) has NOTHING to do with the acceleration caused by gravity!

Eureka! .....oh no, that's the bath thingy!! Anyone for an apple!

Sorry guys, but anyone who doubts this guys claims that 40-110 is very similar between a derb 180bhp and a srock S3 is nonsense, is just plain wrong! It would be very close indeed! Some of his other stuff, well x*X*X! the derv is not plain faster.

compare say a 180hp golf mkiv and the PD150.....? How much quicker do you really think one is over the other in a rolling start race from 40-110? Its a similar theoretical race to a 180hp derv + big torque and an S3 225?!!

now i bet there are some stats for a PD150 vs a GTI 180 somewhere!!

Ess_Three said:
Haha...I was just writing an abusive retort to you jojo when I read the last bit of the last line...

I thought YOU were the physicist her though Ess three!!!! LOL!!

Surely youn see the error of his theory too! !! Jojo, go stand in the corner with your physics book and think what you have done!! lol!

Here's one.........whihc would be faster, 150hp pertrol 1.8T or PD 150 diesel?

Surely you guys all agree that the diesel with bigger torque and gearing to match would be quicker...?/

So how much more HP % wise do you think it takes to beat 60% more torque.....again both cars with gearboxes to match!! forget 4wd drag, which is heavier (probly the s3!!)........

All this torque talk is nonsense isn't it? That doesn't make a car faster. It's PEAK torque that is quoted, and a diesel can only hold its peak torque between 2000 and 4000rpm or so. A petrol may have less torque, but it can hold it until 6500rpm or so without changing gear, thus making it "faster" overall ... I think.

My mate has a Bora 130 and it feels fantastic during that "peak moment", but it's all over rather quickly. He always comments how the "push back" in my S3, feels similar, but lasts twice as long as his Bora.

Cracking reading though, had missed this post until now.

well I say all your torque talk talk, about torque is nonsense!! :)!!

I had a stock 150gti mkiv, it was dog slow!
I had a go in a PD150 and it was quicker, no doubt in my mind.

Anyway all this speed torque is rubbish, its illeagl and its not big and clever. Think about the children.....................wont anyone think about the children .......!!

(off topic, ...........not even in the same forum!!) hahahaha!

simch said:
I thought YOU were the physicist her though Ess three!!!! LOL!!

Surely youn see the error of his theory too! !! Jojo, go stand in the corner with your physics book and think what you have done!! lol!

Haha...I never twigged to be honest...
I was more worried by the fact I thought jojo was going to tell us his Passat beast was faster than his S3.

I was laughing so hard at that that I could hardly make out the words of the rest...

monkeytrousers said:
All this torque talk is nonsense isn't it? That doesn't make a car faster. It's PEAK torque that is quoted, and a diesel can only hold its peak torque between 2000 and 4000rpm or so. A petrol may have less torque, but it can hold it until 6500rpm or so without changing gear, thus making it "faster" overall ... I think.

Area under the graph...in general terms the bigger the area, the faster the car is, gearing being equal.

I reckon if I had the R10 then i'd beat all of you in it, and its a diesel.

This has thread been really entertaining, & everyting I thought to reply to it already got mentioned - I am glad 99.99% of people on here are know the difference between a S3 & an oil burner :sm4:

Smitch, that thread is funny.

There is no way on gods earth that an S3 would beat a GT4, those things used to go like stink, I had a ST205 GT4 and I have driven an S3, they are totally different cars, the GT4 had a really responsive engine, in fact it makes the S3 engine look athsmatic!

Anyway, back to the beating

not been on for a while, just read this thread. i agree that the s3 is the superior car compared to a derv, how many s3 do ya see every day? its not all about power, is it?

I'm with s3sam on this one.
As a former S3 owner turned derv owner, I'm always struck by the volume of petrol vs diesel arguments which crop up in the forums: it's the same theme every time - after the initial performance numbers are tossed around with some heat, an element of vanity creeps in.
I loved every minute with my S3, but I was lured away by a BMW 530d (don't flame me). The performance between the two is the same, the beemer even feels quicker and sportier with the torque, real wheel drive and a bigger shove from the turbo.
And, despite the beemer technically being the more "accomplished" car, there is no way I feel as good driving it as I did the S3. And it's a vanity thing - nothing to do with minute performance comparisons which, let's face it, in everyday driving are meaningless anyway. Diesel's just don't attract that same wow factor as petrols, and unfortunately the S3

still has one of the biggest wow factors on the go - you hardly see any of them, and whenever I do I still get a bit envious.
It's changing slowly but surely, with diesel beasts like the 535d and the audi 4.2 diesel, which are starting to make dervs "sexy". But for the time being, regardless of the performance figures, that premium still lies with the petrol, and the S3 in particular.

s3sam said:
can u imagine a ferrari derv? would that be sexy?

No. I just can't...
It's wrong.

About as wrong as a Porsche 911 diesel...
Or a Lambo diesel...

If ANY of them happen, my life, as I know it, is over...
I'll find a very high cliff and throw myself off it.

Let's hope that 'pointless' cars remain aloof and exactly that - pointless. Trying to make a supercar semi-practical by adding a soor chucking power plant is wrong...stick to petrol, stick to being stupidly priced, impractical and pointless...and I'll always yearn for one.

A diesel Fezza?
Enzo will be spinning in his grave at the mere murmur of such a travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.