a4 avant 3.0 tdi s line buying advice

glenandem

Reaction score
hi guys ive seen a 2008 avant 3.0 tdi manual s line im interested in but i dont know much about what goes wrong etc on these, its just done 107'000 miles but is there anything these are known for going wrong etc or to look out for before i go take a look?

They are pretty good engines. Nothing really common. Be good if you can check the car out with VAG-COM if you know somebody who has one.
Mine is just over 110K and is a 2008 manual . Go quite well with a map :) .

Check fuel caps locks when car locked. About £40 and a few hours to sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought one with 97k on the clock, drives brilliantly. Feels solid and there interior hasn't got a single sign of wear.

Go for it!

The best buying advice is "Buy it, they're awesome"

lol thanks guys, I've currently got a b6 we've had for years but it's well past it's time to upgrade now and this nice grey avant has popped up.
I've got my own copy of vcds so I could take my laptop with me and do a scan for any probs.
Good to know they're quite Sturdy motors though, what's the average round town mpg on the v6 tdi I bet they go well too and I imagine they take a good remap?

Depending on how much time your sat stationary the urban mpg can be anything from 20mpg to just over 30. They much prefer the open road.

I can imagine if you were sitting in lots of traffic in the middle of a big city most of the time you might do low 20's . But most of my driving is a 10 mile trip to work and back that's 30-40 mph limits and local driving around town and mine averages around 33mpg.
I have an Excel spreadsheet where I log the fuel economy and always fill it to the brim. Over the last 3.5 years the worst I ever had off a tank was 27 mpg and that was towing the caravan with a fully loaded car with 4 adults 2 dogs etc and we got stuck on the M5 in traffic for ages.
Went to Edinburgh earlier this year and managed nearly 40mpg over the tank and that included a lot of driving around in Edinburgh.
Those figures would be higher with a less enthusiastic driver lets say.

thanks guys the car i was watching has sold!
ive been looking at a 2.0 168 s line though and think that might be more suited to me and the wife as i use a van this is for her and she'll just be pottering around school run shopping etc.
seen a lovely fully loaded avant and its got dab exactly what im after but its silver and im getting bored of silver lol

My advice is dont go for the 2.0tdi. I bought a 3.0TDi Avant manual (just clocked 103,000miles) a few months ago and i havent stopped smiling!! Only issue I have is an intermittent fuel cap fault as mentioned previously.
Nevermind about miles per gallon, its all about SMILES per gallon. I had a 1.9TDi B6 for two years which done 50+mpg but with the 3.0TDi ive had about 35mpg overall (45mpg on a long run)!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Currently for my rough monthly mileage;

old A4 B6 1.9TDi Avant
50mpg @ £1.10p/l
0.099 x 1000miles = £99.88

new A4 B8 3.0TDi Avant
35mpg @ £1.10p/l
0.142 x 1000miles = £142.68

£42.80.... About the cost of one night on the pints and a kebab on the way home. Worth it in my books

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk