Sun Protection

AllStar

Reaction score
Been experiencing some hot days recently. Unfortunately my car is usually parked in zero shade areas. I don't want to cook the leather or the dash.

I see there's a recent post about sunblind but is it absolutely necessary to put up a sunscreen on the front windscreen?

Last edited:
Factor 30 use it a lot lol

Reactions: richinsoton, AllStar and Tom.H
Been experiencing some hot days recently. Unfortunately my car is usually parked in zero shade areas. I don't want to cook the leather or the dash.

I see there's a recent post about sunblind but is it absolutely necessary to put up a sunscreen on the front windscreen?
When Audi (and everybody else) test cars, part of the testing involves sending them off to a ludicrously hot place like Death Valley in California and putting them under a giant magnifying glass.

You think ants had it hard when you were a little kid.

Cars are designed to cope with extremes of temperature.

People put sunshades in the windshields of parked cars in The States in the summertime so that they don't burn their ***** on the seats when they get in.

Reactions: RSS-S3, AllStar and Flying Scotsman
I use a sunscreen thingy on mine. it lowers the temperature in the car quite a bit. steering wheel won't be so hot to touch when i 1st get in and for me i feel like I'm just protecting the top part of the dash a little bit more, over here its 40degrees at the mo and the MMI gets super hot.

Thanks all that's very reassuring and what I'd hoped. So the blinds are for comfort only really.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
As above comments and most auto glass nowadays has UV protection.

UV protection as in stopping UV rays getting through? I wonder what % it is on the PFL A3. Myself and the girlfriend got a bit of sunburn on our trip from Italy to Portugal last weekend even though the windows were up most of the journey.

Quite a lot....do not have percentages but as an example; prescription glasses which darken due to the intensity of UV light will not work in a car.

Reactions: Ormesome
Quite a lot....do not have percentages but as an example; prescription glasses which darken due to the intensity of UV light will not work in a car.

Confirmed - I have a pair of said glasses.

Reactions: Ormesome