Dilemma - which would you choose....1.4TFSI Sline or 2.0TFSI SE (optioned)?

djjuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post so apologies for starting with a question! I am in the process of choosing my new company car (coming back to Audi after 3 years with a BMW 330d) and my available list is giving me two potentials so would appreciate your thoughts:

Option 1:

A4 Avant 1.4 TFSI SLine Stronic - technology pack included (no other options available)

Option 2:

A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI SE Stronic with the following options selected:

Twin leather
Privacy glass (side and rear windows) and Acoustic glass (front side windows)
4-way electric lumbar support
Driver Information System - 7" colour display
MMI Navigation - SD Card Based
Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System

I am really keen to get back in to a petrol after many diesel years hence the above. About 25K business miles a year so cost of fuel not a major factor, although I appreciate more trips to the garage will be required.

In an ideal world I would be able to choose the 2.0 TFSI in SLine but this falls outside my maximum allowed budget. As does the sport with decent options. Comfort, good technology and a reasonable turn of speed are my main areas of focus.

What would you do?!

Thanks in advance.

The 2.0 SE, no question...doing 25K per year you will appreciate the extra umph. (But I am kinda biased!)

But the S-Line looks very nice and nothing wrong with the 1.4 TFSI and it would be nice with Stronic :hubbahubba:

My thoughts on this are that if you're coming from a 3ltr diesel BMW would be to go for the 2.0SE, as the 1.4 power wise is probably too big a drop from what you're using to driving.

As with all these dilemmas a back to back road-test of them both is the only way to make an informed decision.

Thanks all - yes agreed the step down from 3L to 1.4 is my main concern so will be arranging test drives this week.

I test drove a 1.4 TFSI before eventually ordering a 2.0 TFSI S Tronic. To be fair I was reasonably impressed with the 1.4, it's definitely a perky engine and it's surprisingly quick given the size of the car. In the end though I just felt it was worth stepping up a notch for that extra bit of power.

I've ordered basically your exact spec from your option 2, only in Sport trim. The 7 Inch colour display on MY18 cars is pretty good and I felt that since that became included as standard, the tech pack became less of an absolute must. I was pretty impressed with the standard MMI when I had a play with it - you still get most of the functionality just on a smaller screen.

The other reason I'd be leaning towards option 2 is that having listened to the Audi Sound System in 2 different cars now I was left distinctly underwhelmed on both occasions. Decided pretty quickly that the B&O was a must.

Would have loved the S-Line but I quickly realised that it's all a compromise (unless you happen to have shed loads of cash to splurge obviously!) I'd rather have the options I actually want on the car and sacrifice a trim level to offset the cost. Sounds like you are reaching the same conclusion!

Reactions: djjuk
Fully agreed with your post - many thanks, and yes it appears we have reached a similar conclusion!

Have decided now and the order is in - for the miles I do and with the budget available I am more than happy with my selection and the options selected. Now the wait...

A4 Avant SE 2.0 TFSI S tronic

· Brilliant black

· 17" 7.5J '5-parallel spoke' design alloy wheels with 225/50 R17 tyres

· Twin leather seats

· Heated 3-spoke leather trimmed high multi-function steering wheel

· Privacy glass (side and rear windows) and Acoustic glass (front side windows)

· 4-way electric lumbar support

· Driver Information System - 7" colour display

· MMI Navigation - SD Card Based

· Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System

· Hill hold assist

Good choices!

I ordered mine on 10th May and having originally been down as a 19th July build date, it came forward by a month and it's now in quality control! So things do seem to move along fairly quickly.

That's good to hear as I was expecting 3 or 4 months wait so that sounds promising. Great spec you have ordered - enjoy!

Thanks again all.

That's good to hear as I was expecting 3 or 4 months wait so that sounds promising. Great spec you have ordered - enjoy!

Thanks again all.

Has Audi not got anything in UK Stock of a similar natured spec that they are willing to do a deal on?

Has Audi not got anything in UK Stock of a similar natured spec that they are willing to do a deal on?

I had that thought too. It's incredibly difficult to find a nearly new 2.0 TFSI A4 Avant with the spec you want. The vast majority on the books are diesel cars.

I had that thought too. It's incredibly difficult to find a nearly new 2.0 TFSI A4 Avant with the spec you want. The vast majority on the books are diesel cars.
True there are a lot of diesels, the Petrol I wanted was the 252 TFSI, local dealer had a black one in stock with a decent spec, but the S4 was cheaper, so ... oh well the S4 it is :)

True there are a lot of diesels, the Petrol I wanted was the 252 TFSI, local dealer had a black one in stock with a decent spec, but the S4 was cheaper, so ... oh well the S4 it is :)

Just trying to imagine the look on my wife's face if id come home with an S4. Almost worth it.... almost.

Just trying to imagine the look on my wife's face if id come home with an S4. Almost worth it.... almost.
Debadge it, she'll never know! I've only got the S4 on the front grill, had many people ask what it is! :D

Reactions: Daggerit and v1rotate

No idea tbh - as it is a company car the leasing company take over now so would expect a new factory order. Got used to the wait over the years!

Reactions: TripleD
CarWow are listing 88 cars of new/nearly new Petrol cars in UK stock ready to go

CarWow are listing 88 cars of new/nearly new Petrol cars in UK stock ready to go

Once you filter out the 1.4's and select automatic gearbox it falls to 3 cars as far as I can see. All of which are the 252 Quattro with matching price tag. 5k over budget for me and I'm getting a new car.

The only other thing you are likely to noticed between the SE / S-Line is the suspension / ride difference. Not sure if that's something you picked up on in your test drive (seems most dealers have S-Lines on their forecourts).

Not that the S-Line is overly harsh, it is a firmer ride, which is no problems for me - I do similar miles as you.

Hope you are not kept waiting too long! I still enjoy getting into and driving my A4 22k / 8 months on, it never feels a chore!

I has a se a3 before, now i have a 2017 a3 sline and its night and day to me. Couldnt go back to an se now massive difference on interior to me and the little touches in the sline make a big difference plus have the 1.4 tfsi cod engine which doesnt lack in power £55 for a tank 450 miles with senseible motorway driving also !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I has a se a3 before, now i have a 2017 a3 sline and its night and day to me. Couldnt go back to an se now massive difference on interior to me and the little touches in the sline make a big difference plus have the 1.4 tfsi cod engine which doesnt lack in power £55 for a tank 450 miles with senseible motorway driving also !

Sorry you cannot compare A3 to A4 SE interior.

Sorry you cannot compare A3 to A4 SE interior.

I was comparing to say that the sline is better in general, i test drived an a4 se before i got my car and it was better than an a3 se but again a4 sline was far superior to the se in many aspects IMO.

No A3's have been delivered with this engine yet as far as I know as they're in the MY18 model...

There is a 1.4 ea211 variant with ACT/COD which wasn't chosen for the B9 strangely.

Reactions: Deleted member 120807
Yes that was the same engine fitted to my A3 which I believe is the same as the A4 version without COD. The 1.5 is also a EA211.