Ordered S3 in Jan 2017

ultraman500

Reaction score
Hi

Not sure whether you guys/girls have experienced this but I am pretty disappointed with Audi....

Ordered an S3 back in January 2017 with a few options before the price increase and Audi assured me with a March delivery without any delays... (expected delivery 15th March 2017)

A week after the order was in we received portal login and to find out on the portal that expected build time was 10th April!!!! That is a month after our expected delivery date? Questioned it with the sales at Audi and he said it was correct, we were like WTF?? It all came down to limited parts (Mag ride) to be built elsewhere before shipping it to the factory...to be honest that's not my problem, there are many FL S3 with 19" around!!!

In the last 6 months my cousin ordered a BMW 120i and a M140i received in 2 months, missus brother ordered a Golf R received in a month and half and a friend ordered a 4 series from BM mid March 2017 and picked up his car weekend just gone that's also a month and a half am I missing something??

Anyways, I am expected to pick up the car next Saturday 13th May, yes MAY! I don't really get it, does it really take 5 months to order/receive a brand new S3? Or any Audis?

Let me know your experience, is it Audi or is it me?

Thanks

Sorry about the long post, just an opportunity to rant :(

Hi

Not sure whether you guys/girls have experienced this but I am pretty disappointed with Audi....

Ordered an S3 back in January 2017 with a few options before the price increase and Audi assured me with a March delivery without any delays... (expected delivery 15th March 2017)

A week after the order was in we received portal login and to find out on the portal that expected build time was 10th April!!!! That is a month after our expected delivery date? Questioned it with the sales at Audi and he said it was correct, we were like WTF?? It all came down to limited parts (Mag ride) to be built elsewhere before shipping it to the factory...to be honest that's not my problem, there are many FL S3 with 19" around!!!

In the last 6 months my cousin ordered a BMW 120i and a M140i received in 2 months, missus brother ordered a Golf R received in a month and half and a friend ordered a 4 series from BM mid March 2017 and picked up his car weekend just gone that's also a month and a half am I missing something??

Anyways, I am expected to pick up the car next Saturday 13th May, yes MAY! I don't really get it, does it really take 5 months to order/receive a brand new S3? Or any Audis?

Thanks

Only limited amount of build slots, think you are lucky with 5 months, some have been given 7-8 month wait times. Is it a 3dr by any chance?

Reactions: far2tall and James Travis
Unfortunately I think that is the timescales you are looking at. My car was was in the pipeline October 2016 and delivered 14th Feb 2017, I think the facelift S3 demand has since increased.

The orders you have mentioned may have already been in the BMW and VW pipelines rather than starting from scratch. Either way it is very frustrating as it's not like the S3 is handbuilt supercar, it's just a faster A3 other than a few bits.

Fingers crossed for no more delays.!

Reactions: far2tall and Wood_Duck
Only limited amount of build slots, think you are lucky with 5 months, some have been given 7-8 month wait times. Is it a 3dr by any chance?

Really? I was that much away from canceling my order and buying myself a M140i but had a bit too much going on at the time... seeing it was March already we were like whatever man we'll just save the hassle and wait...

Do you know if that's with the performance cars or also the A3s too? Or any Audi orders? As I can see Audi is not selling enough cars and filling the boat, my car has been sitting at the port in Germany for a month now...

I went for a sportback "future proofing ;)"

Being honest......you were never going to get your car in March on the back of a January order unless you picked up a cancelled order, your salesperson was enticing you with an unrealistic quick delivery to clinch the deal.

Typical build and delivery times for factory orders are around 12-14 weeks but can stretch out to about 16 weeks if your car just happens to miss a ship from Emden. So your mid Jan order with Mid May collection is at the long end of typical lead times of about 4 months and not 5 as you state in your original post

Unfortunately I think that is the timescales you are looking at. My car was was in the pipeline October 2016 and delivered 14th Feb 2017, I think the facelift S3 demand has since increased.

The orders you have mentioned may have already been in the BMW and VW pipelines rather than starting from scratch. Either way it is very frustrating as it's not like the S3 is handbuilt supercar, it's just a faster A3 other than a few bits.

Fingers crossed for no more delays.!

Yeah... It's just upsetting and frustrating that when we test drove and when ordering they confirmed 3 months from order to delivery, ok I know sales do BS but come on they know the demand just tell us and have a happy customer instead or a frustrating one... fingers crossed and toes crossed!

The VW and 120i maybe but the 140i was from scratch... 140i came a week after the 120i

As Dave says, there was never a chance of receiving it in March with a Jan order, I ordered in November and picked up 22nd March.

I remember my brother ordering a MK7 Golf R and cancelling it in the end due to it being a 4 month plus wait. Even the MK7.5 GTD they ordered was about 3 months so I'd say it sounds about right.

Being honest......you were never going to get your car in March on the back of a January order unless you picked up a cancelled order, your salesperson was enticing you with an unrealistic quick delivery to clinch the deal.

Typical build and delivery times for factory orders are around 12-14 weeks but can stretch out to about 16 weeks if your car just happens to miss a ship from Emden. So your mid Jan order with Mid May collection is at the long end of typical lead times of about 4 months and not 5 as you state in your original post

I guess... but as a customer and first time buying a brand new car from dealer it should be an exciting experience but this time round I cannot say it's exciting.

Yeah... It's just upsetting and frustrating that when we test drove and when ordering they confirmed 3 months from order to delivery, ok I know sales do BS but come on they know the demand just tell us and have a happy customer instead or a frustrating one... fingers crossed and toes crossed!

The VW and 120i maybe but the 140i was from scratch... 140i came a week after the 120i

Yeh it's v annoying, the chap I use at Swindon Audi told me to think about my PCP replacement 6 months before contract is due knowing that the next car I wanted was an S3, managed my expectations really well.

Blimey the 140i was quick, They are so tempting, just wish they looked more sporty. The wait for the S3 will be worth it, great all round car, every now and again I get annoyed with the lack of feel but when you plant your foot it will put a massive smile on your face.

From what I've experienced I would say a large proportion of the ordering process relies on pot luck. I ordered a S3 (3 Door) with quite a few options in the last week of March and was quoted late August / September delivery and a few weeks later I got a call from my dealer to say I'd been allocated build week 17 which was the end of April. Based on the tracker information I appear to have been allocated a cancelled order which has been altered to my specification because the original order date is listed as January 17.

As of last week my car had left the factory and is now on its way to the port in Germany and looking like it should be at my dealer in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Thank for all your respones
Yeh it's v annoying, the chap I use at Swindon Audi told me to think about my PCP replacement 6 months before contract is due knowing that the next car I wanted was an S3, managed my expectations really well.

Blimey the 140i was quick, They are so tempting, just wish they looked more sporty. The wait for the S3 will be worth it, great all round car, every now and again I get annoyed with the lack of feel but when you plant your foot it will put a massive smile on your face.

I know right! That is why I have questioned my waiting/delay time and seeing if any of you were/having the same experience... Knowing that the rival companies can provide their customers with their new purchase sooner...just want to see if it was me...

I guess... but as a customer and first time buying a brand new car from dealer it should be an exciting experience but this time round I cannot say it's exciting.

Can understand your frustration!!! It is likely that you will be asked to fill in a customer satisfaction survey by email from Audi UK/AG after you have collected your car and the dealer will want you to mark the level of service you received as " extremely satisfied" .

You might want to discuss with your dealer or his manager what might make you "extremely satisfied" by way of freebies :)

From what I've experienced I would say a large proportion of the ordering process relies on pot luck. I ordered a S3 (3 Door) with quite a few options in the last week of March and was quoted late August / September delivery and a few weeks later I got a call from my dealer to say I'd been allocated build week 17 which was the end of April. Based on the tracker information I appear to have been allocated a cancelled order which has been altered to my specification because the original order date is listed as January 17.

As of last week my car had left the factory and is now on its way to the port in Germany and looking like it should be at my dealer in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Wow that is very lucky! Clearly, luck wasn't on my side! You see, at least your dealer calls you and keeps you up to date, my dealer....... I had to find out myself via the portal and call them!

Reactions: Bells
Can understand your frustration!!! It is likely that you will be asked to fill in a customer satisfaction survey by email from Audi UK/AG after you have collected your car and the dealer will want you to mark the level of service you received as " extremely satisfied" .

You might want to discuss with your dealer or his manager what might make you "extremely satisfied" by way of freebies :)

Hahahaha.... may take me up to 5 months to fill out and complete the survey :p I am usually a easy customer but I have spoken to the manager already, they had increased the value of my px to cover the rest of the gap insurance and a tank of petrol. On collection hopefully they will throw in the usb connector?

I feel your pain @ultraman500, I ordered my S3 in March 16' around the time the facelift was being announced and didn't pick mine up until September!

Once you're in it though you will forget all of that waiting trust me, there's a guy on my street with an M140i and looks wise it doesn't even come close to the S3 in my opinion so you made the right decision sticking with the S3.

Wow that is very lucky! Clearly, luck wasn't on my side! You see, at least your dealer calls you and keeps you up to date, my dealer....... I had to find out myself via the portal and call them!
Yes it appears I've been lucky so far. However, the salesman that sold me my car left for a new job at the weekend so I've been allocated someone new, hopefully they'll be as good as I've experienced previously :smile:

Ordered Feb 16, for May '16 delivery. Car delivered in October '16... if the parts aren't there, you just have to wait a while. If you ask nicely though, you'll get a loan car. I had an S3 for five months.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H and Daveotto
Lol I ordered 7th January and I should be collecting early June. The actual order date was 12th December or something.
Was also told that I should get it by mid April, but I didn't, its out of the dealer's hands.

I feel your pain @ultraman500, I ordered my S3 in March 16' around the time the facelift was being announced and didn't pick mine up until September!

Once you're in it though you will forget all of that waiting trust me, there's a guy on my street with an M140i and looks wise it doesn't even come close to the S3 in my opinion so you made the right decision sticking with the S3.

Yeah... interior is also much much nicer I just cannot wait to slide into the SS seats!!!

Reactions: lou15p
If you ask nicely though, you'll get a loan car. I had an S3 for five months.

Always remember don't get mad get even!!!!!

For missing a £150 option I got a loan S3 for 3 months, a TTS for the weekend and a R8 V10/RS3/RS7 track day courtesy of Audi Sport UK and 2 free services

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg and lou15p
Always remember don't get mad get even!!!!!

For missing a £150 option I got a loan S3 for 3 months, a TTS for the weekend and a R8 V10/RS3/RS7 track day courtesy of Audi Sport UK and 2 free services

@GSB I did ask for a courtesy car as I didn't want to pay for service, MOT and tax on my old car, didn't get it :(

@Daveotto they've heard the frustration in my voice but I haven't F and blind at them like @MattSedg says it's out of the dealer's hand I understand... not sure they would give me those goodies for nearly 2 months delay as they already covered the remainder on the gap insurance and a tank of petrol

Reactions: MattSedg
Over the past few weeks I've been looking at various options, the M240i was one of them, he said you can have one next month, he showed me his screen and it was full of them half way through the build process. Then came the figures! it would have cost more than what the S3 is going to cost with a lower GFV, he even said don't expect anything at the end and you will probably do a voluntary termination before the end of the PCP!!! A 4 series was also coming out at a lot more per month than a more expensive S3.

The S3's do hold price well, after discount I paid £28,500 for my current March 2015 car, I've just been offered £21,750 from a main dealer! and that was before we talked discount on the new car.

Reactions: richinsoton, MattSedg and Sandra
Over the past few weeks I've been looking at various options, the M240i was one of them, he said you can have one next month, he showed me his screen and it was full of them half way through the build process. Then came the figures! it would have cost more than what the S3 is going to cost with a lower GFV, he even said don't expect anything at the end and you will probably do a voluntary termination before the end of the PCP!!! A 4 series was also coming out at a lot more per month than a more expensive S3.

The S3's do hold price well, after discount I paid £28,500 for my current March 2015 car, I've just been offered £21,750 from a main dealer! and that was before we talked discount on the new car.

Wow, that is a nice big discount! My mate's 2016 1.4 Saloon cost that much after discount! He should of got the S3 instead! Good Luck with the new car :)

Reactions: S32B
My A3 has just taken 2 weeks to get from the factory to Emden port. Probably have to wait another 2 weeks for it to board a ship too. Mine had an order date of 06/01/17 so march delivery for you was probably unrealistic.

Reactions: ultraman500
not sure they would give me those goodies for nearly 2 months delay as they already covered the remainder on the gap insurance and a tank of petrol

You never know, I got a tank of fuel, told to go for a meal out up to £150 and a free R/C R8 for our son and my order process had no issues at all - that was with 11.1% discount too.

Not sure if Audi are simply managing supply of certain models? That said I ordered my S3 in Sept 2013 and it arrived mid Feb 2014. Similar experience with my S5 which was ordered mid Jan and had a build date of 15 May.

i think manufacturers are pushing sales targets up but can't meet the demand which is causing delays? Salesman has to meet his targets and once the buyer has signed on the dotted line they move on to the next one. I suppose they will quote delivery based on recent experience but one glitch in the supply chain and that's it.

Imagine if they did a supermarket style replacement - option x not available so they stick something similar into the car?

Reactions: richinsoton and ultraman500
You never know, I got a tank of fuel, told to go for a meal out up to £150 and a free R/C R8 for our son and my order process had no issues at all - that was with 11.1% discount too.

That's good! Which dealer did you buy from? Knowing my luck... I'm going to get ciao on your way now buddy, I think I only managed just over 10% discount...

I bought mine from Hitchin.

Bedford is my local dealer but after telling me I could have an extended test drive, told me they don't offer them when I called to book. That annoyed me so they lost out on a decent sale.

Reactions: ultraman500
Hi

Thanks

From what I gather (I work in Audi Sport, not much contact with Audi general production, but you hear rumours etc) due to lack of demand, the production lines are being slowed down. I have heard it is not the case for the A1, but no idea what else is not involved.
Basically rather than shutting down the plants at night, they are slowing production a little. So anything in the last few months will probably take a little longer than usual.

My family has had Audi's (2 per year for 20+ years) and it usually takes within 3-5 months from order to delivry (various models). I've had 2 A3's (MY2014, MY2016) and both took exactly 2.5 months from order to delivery (note: delivery to Ingolstadt, no transport involved).

I'm also waiting for a 3-door S3, I feel your pain XD

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and MattSedg
I ordered on Jan 7 and pick the car up next Thursday May 11. That includes a 39 day trip on a boat to Australia. If there was ant frustration it was that it took a month to get through compliance, import processing etc and to the dealer - almost the same amount of time it took to get from Bremerhaven to Melbourne.

All that will be forgotten next week!

From what I gather (I work in Audi Sport, not much contact with Audi general production, but you hear rumours etc) due to lack of demand, the production lines are being slowed down. I have heard it is not the case for the A1, but no idea what else is not involved.
Basically rather than shutting down the plants at night, they are slowing production a little. So anything in the last few months will probably take a little longer than usual.

My family has had Audi's (2 per year for 20+ years) and it usually takes within 3-5 months from order to delivry (various models). I've had 2 A3's (MY2014, MY2016) and both took exactly 2.5 months from order to delivery (note: delivery to Ingolstadt, no transport involved).

I'm also waiting for a 3-door S3, I feel your pain XD

Yeah... I was getting that impression as the car has been sitting at the port for about 3 1/2 weeks now... an indication of not enough cars being ordered.

I ordered on Jan 7 and pick the car up next Thursday May 11. That includes a 39 day trip on a boat to Australia. If there was ant frustration it was that it took a month to get through compliance, import processing etc and to the dealer - almost the same amount of time it took to get from Bremerhaven to Melbourne.

All that will be forgotten next week!

Just one more week!!!

All guys that have ordered recently or are about to order, will have a good wait between 4-6 months as Audi have a delay in believe it or not bodyshells.... ****** Audi are a joke the facelift production really has been either feast or famine over the last 12 months, yeah it's almost a year since it started hitting showrooms

They make the ****** bodyshells themself don't they, from the silly amount of steel they go through everyday lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
I placed my order the first week of February and I've just checked my audi and my build date has moved from may 29th to july 31st And its set to be delivered in September, thats 7 months. Anyone else's build date been moved back 2 months?

I placed my order the first week of February and I've just checked my audi and my build date has moved from may 29th to july 31st And its set to be delivered in September, thats 7 months. Anyone else's build date been moved back 2 months?
Yup mine moved back five weeks lad

Reactions: Birdy456
Are these 3 or 5 doors that are moving forward ?