Facelift Wi-Fi Hotspot

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I sure a lot of you guys are much more knowledgeable about such things than an oldie like me. What do I need to do to make my A3 a Wi-Fi hotspot mainly so that I can use my android tablet inside the car. I know quite a lot about computers in general having supported a network for 25 years but I know very little Wi-Fi hotspots in a car. I do not have any of the Technology packs with my A3. Any help would be much appreciated.

The easiest way is to get a data sim and insert it into the sim slot on MMI. This will over ride the embedded sim.

The OP has said he doesn't have the tech pack. A mifi box from EE, 3 etc.. is probably best

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

I do have Audi Connect at the moment (3 months trial) which allows me to access certain services including traffic information if I decided to use the Audi Navigation. As it is I use my TomTom unit for navigation with had lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic information included in the price. It also has built-in speed camera information.

My main reason for considering a WiFi hotspot is to allow me to access the internet from from tablet.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
So that sounds like you do have an embedded sim. So presumably you have an empty sim slot as well. I know that you can't use the embedded sim to create a hotspot. However I am puzzled that you say you don't have tech pack because I thought that was what gives you the internet connection in the first place.

Anyway it's probably just as easy to get a mifi box as already suggested. Or you could use your mobile as a hotspot anyway.

Having the standard 3 month audi connect free trial (extendable free of charge for a further 12 months via customer services) gives an "internet" connection of some sort but it is limited to the associated audi connect functionality . The tech pack covers a connection period of 3 years and includes map updates etc. To get a full blown "wifi hotspot" you need a separate data sim that overrides the embedded sim

The OP has said he doesn't have the tech pack. A mifi box from EE, 3 etc.. is probably best

Why would the OP require the tech pack? When he has a Facelift Sport model which comes with the 3 months Audi Connect Trial with an embedded SIM and an additional SIM slot as standard.

You can get a 12 GB/12 months data SIM on 3 for about £24.

Reactions: oaf
Could you not tether your tablet to the phone and use the data from your current mobile contract providing you have sufficient to cover your usage?

Reactions: David McQueen

Could you not tether your tablet to the phone and use the data from your current mobile contract providing you have sufficient to cover your usage?
Yes, that's what I suggested above. But it seems that the FL does have a sim slot as standard, so buying a cheap data sim for the car would be best. Tethering uses a lot of phone battery.

You might be able to activate the on-board hotspot, but it needs a data subscription through Data Inside.
Benefit is that you can have the "free" data that you get with Connect, whereas with a second SIM all the data goes through the second SIM, and the car can get through a lot of data.
Drawback is that the Data Inside subscription is not cheap, and limited in time and data volume.

Best option (IMO) would be to get a Mifi. That way you get the "free" data to the car through the embedded SIM, and the Mifi usage is purely for your hotspot.

Thanks everyone for all the information. It seems like the best way to go is to use a MiFi devices. That way I can use it in the car and in other location where I do not have access to their WiFi.

Thanks everyone for all the information. It seems like the best way to go is to use a MiFi devices. That way I can use it in the car and in other location where I do not have access to their WiFi.
Precisely. There are some really cool little mifi devices out there. And data only sims can be pretty cheap if you don't want masses of data throughput.

I'm sure it's a nice little unit, but I would go for an unlocked device for preference.

Reactions: Tom.H
I'm sure it's a nice little unit, but I would go for an unlocked device for preference.
I agree. I would rather go for an unlocked device and use a PAYG card. The one issued by Three 3-2-1 only changes 1p per 1Mb for data which if I'm not going to be using it a lot looks like quite a reasonable deal. If I find I'm using it more and a Pay Monthly deal would work out better I can always change. I been looking at MiFi units and Amazon have some from Huwei and TP-Link in both 3G and 4G. No doubt 4G will be faster and probably woth the extra initial cost.