Second Steering Rack Failure? :(

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So my car had a new steering rack at 4500 miles, it is now on 6300 miles and I suspect I have another fault.

Last time it was a knock and there was a sticking point in the rack, turning left to right at any point in the rack.

I noticed 2 days ago there was a clicking when manouvering, I chose to ignore it until today when I tried to replicate it manouvering around. If I drive around a car park for example for 2 minutes, I will hear it 4/5 times. It isn't a clunk like before, a clicking but it is happening on both left and right turns, more frequently on left.

It almost sounded like a nail in the tyre at first, catching on the road surface. But the car drives fine at speed and I can't find any evidence of a puncture. I've done 20 miles today, it seems to have gotten a little louder in that time.

I've had the wheels off and can't see anything obviously fouling, no marks left on any components and now I'm starting to get worried :( If it needs another rack, I know Audi will blame me but I drive the car in the same way anybody else would. A second rack failure is extraordinary and should never happen, the first shouldn't have happened.

Is there an underlying fault that could cause a rack to fail again? :( They replaced the track control arms and control arm ball joints last time too. They couldn't find a fault so guessed, changed the arms and when that didn't work they changed the rack and that fixed it.

Only other thing I am thinking it could be is the suspension top mounts? Has anybody experienced a similar thing?

It's very difficult to capture on a video but I have a short clip where it clicks once and I will try to upload that now.

The car is going to Audi first thing tomorrow morning, expecting to end up in another hire car :'(

Thanks in advance,

Matthew.

I've made the call and got the breakdown coming first thing, if I drive the car to Audi and they can't find the fault and it has to stay then nobody is obliged to provide me a car.
If the breakdown arrives and recovers the car or drives down in convoy with me, then the breakdown service will have to provide me with a Gold Astra Diesel as before. Haha.

Feeling very anxious now, really hope it isn't serious again.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Good luck mate! Hope it is nothing serious

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
Sorry to read this mate hope it's easily sorted.

I've replaced the suspension too mounts on mine that was a clunk when going over bumps at low speed so doesn't sound to be what you're experiencing.

Reactions: slicko4211 and AudiNutta
@AudiNutta Sounds like drveshafts to me. You tend to get 'clicking' when the splines are failing, happens at low speeds when turning - sounds exactly like a stone in a tyre.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I'm at Audi now, breakdown technician was baffled.

He suggested CV joint but said if it was then it would click constantly on full lock, which it doesn't. He was clueless, he said he'd be surprised if it was the rack but he's not ruling it out.

Got a really ****** long wait now at Audi for them to request a hire car for me. Trying to push for an S3 so I'm not stuck in the same boat as last time, but anything will have to do I think. Just come off a 12 hour night shift at 7am, today is going to be fun.... not :(

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
@AudiNutta Sounds like drveshafts to me. You tend to get 'clicking' when the splines are failing, happens at low speeds when turning - sounds exactly like a stone in a tyre.

Sounds like you are closest there, without a doubt. It's only on and off I get it, some sound nastier than others.

I thought it was a nail in the tyre, that was the obvious first check.

I'm at Audi now, breakdown technician was baffled.

He suggested CV joint but said if it was then it would click constantly on full lock, which it doesn't. He was clueless, he said he'd be surprised if it was the rack but he's not ruling it out.

Got a really ****** long wait now at Audi for them to request a hire car for me. Trying to push for an S3 so I'm not stuck in the same boat as last time, but anything will have to do I think. Just come off a 12 hour night shift at 7am, today is going to be fun.... not :(

Rubbish. They don't always click constantly, it depends how worn it is. If it's just started to go, it will be intermittent, as it gets worse, it will do it more often and then all the time. Eventually, it will fail... but, you could get 10 miles before it does or 10,000 miles...

Rubbish. They don't always click constantly, it depends how worn it is. If it's just started to go, it will be intermittent, as it gets worse, it will do it more often and then all the time. Eventually, it will fail... but, you could get 10 miles before it does or 10,000 miles...

Then it 100% sounds like you have described, funnily enough he didn't mention drive shaft splines just CV joint.

Anyway, now it's here I will tell them it's staying till it gets rectified. I had a 200+ mile drive Monday I was looking forward to taking it on, not happy doing that now in the car. Just have to see how quick the replacement vehicle team get back to us with a car.

Then it 100% sounds like you have described, funnily enough he didn't mention drive shaft splines just CV joint.

Anyway, now it's here I will tell them it's staying till it gets rectified. I had a 200+ mile drive Monday I was looking forward to taking it on, not happy doing that now in the car. Just have to see how quick the replacement vehicle team get back to us with a car.

Could be the CV joint aswell... both make the same sound, but they'll soon find out when they take the shaft out. If it's the CV joint, it'll probably have some oil residue where it's leaked out...

Could be the CV joint aswell... both make the same sound, but they'll soon find out when they take the shaft out. If it's the CV joint, it'll probably have some oil residue where it's leaked out...

I had the wheel off last night, no oil residue anywhere around the driveshaft that I could see.

You've relaxed me a little now with this driveshaft theory, something easily rectified once diagnosed.

I had the wheel off last night, no oil residue anywhere around the driveshaft that I could see.

You've relaxed me a little now with this driveshaft theory, something easily rectified once diagnosed.
Sure it will be fine mate :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and AudiNutta
Would like to know what the problem is myself as mine does the same thing by the sounds of it, have tried plenty of times to find the problem but couldn't, hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been approved on insurance for a maximum 150ps car, will have to take whatever comes today.

Head of business of the supplying dealer will be onto it Monday morning to try and get me back in an S3 ASAP.

Would like to know what the problem is myself as mine does the same thing by the sounds of it, have tried plenty of times to find the problem but couldn't, hope you get it sorted.

I shall certainly keep you updated but if you have a problem like that... it should have gone into the dealer a long time ago.

So, Audi pulled through finally! They located me an S3 last minute... the same S3 I had when my rack went, but it's gained 1500 miles and a lot of horrific swirling etc :( Had 200 miles on when I picked it up. But back driving a manual, not enjoying it as much as I did the first time but it is very rewarding.

Waiting game now till Monday for the prognosis. When I have a repair estimate the supplying dealer has asked to be informed straight away to 'see what options we have', not sure what they mean by that exactly.

Reactions: lenny151, Mark_86, h1r4 and 2 others
I suspect they are looking to 'cover their options' should you decide to reject the car because they failed to rectify the original fault.

I suspect they are looking to 'cover their options' should you decide to reject the car because they failed to rectify the original fault.

It isn't the original fault I don't think. They did rectify the original fault, new steering rack fixed it. It seems as if it's a driveshaft, I'm confident on that having had advice on here.

At the moment I don't plan on rejecting it, I just want it reliable :( If I reject it I go back to the start of a finance agreement and then I can't change to an RS3 late this year, I will only lose out by it?

But, if the driveshaft has failed I'm not having it back until they have replaced ALL 4 driveshafts!! I don't think I'm being unreasonable on that? If one had failed what's stopping the others.

Can anybody please advise me on this, Audi have already asked me if anything has happened to the car. This is going to be blamed on me, I am so careful and the car is cherished.. ive never kerbed a wheel, never hit a bad pot hole. But surely no matter how you drive a car, you can't shred a driveshaft in 6000 miles?! I drive it like anybody else would but I don't rag it that's for sure, the car is well cared for. The salesmans cars with scrubbed in tyre walls are the cars that would be suspect to wearing parts if any. But then it's a 300+ bhp car and really is proving not to be strong enough.

I've bought a Monday Morning or a Friday Afternoon car that was also made with butter by the seems of it.

I'm heartbroken, can't believe it's off the road again :( Sunk in a little more today, I had a 28 hour day yesterday having come off a night shift when it went into Audi.

Audi sorted me a taxi to collect the S3, well happy with the replacement vehicle service if anything.

@Mark_86 Mark, could it still be a drive shaft if it makes the noise while not moving?
I seemed to find it while I was moving, but the roadside assistance got in it... turned the wheel and it clicked without moving forward or backward.

@Mark_86 Mark, could it still be a drive shaft if it makes the noise while not moving?
I seemed to find it while I was moving, but the roadside assistance got in it... turned the wheel and it clicked without moving forward or backward.

Generally not, because the shaft isn't turning. But if he's turning the wheel on your drive and it's loose, I suppose you could hear some noise from it. Never heard noises when stationary when my Focus ST shafts bit the dust...

Generally not, because the shaft isn't turning. But if he's turning the wheel on your drive and it's loose, I suppose you could hear some noise from it. Never heard noises when stationary when my Focus ST shafts bit the dust...

It was only the once I heard it when stood still, so sounds like a coincidence then.

This happened to me, clicking when turning after work was done on my suspension, i just loosened the top suspension bearing from the bonnet and retightned. Apparently because the bolt was put back on too tight after having work done to it. Haven't heard the noise since and that was 10k miles ago. Worth getting someone to turn the steering and someone to hold the top suspension mount from the bonnet and feel for clicks. It could be that.

Reactions: Mark_86
This happened to me, clicking when turning after work was done on my suspension, i just loosened the top suspension bearing from the bonnet and retightned. Apparently because the bolt was put back on too tight after having work done to it. Haven't heard the noise since and that was 10k miles ago. Worth getting someone to turn the steering and someone to hold the top suspension mount from the bonnet and feel for clicks. It could be that.

I thought the top mount, but the roadside assist guy wrote that out as a possibility straight away.
Audi are getting onto it tomorrow, will have to wait and see what they find.

It isn't the original fault I don't think. They did rectify the original fault, new steering rack fixed it. It seems as if it's a driveshaft, I'm confident on that having had advice on here.

At the moment I don't plan on rejecting it, I just want it reliable :( If I reject it I go back to the start of a finance agreement and then I can't change to an RS3 late this year, I will only lose out by it?

But, if the driveshaft has failed I'm not having it back until they have replaced ALL 4 driveshafts!! I don't think I'm being unreasonable on that? If one had failed what's stopping the others.

Can anybody please advise me on this, Audi have already asked me if anything has happened to the car. This is going to be blamed on me, I am so careful and the car is cherished.. ive never kerbed a wheel, never hit a bad pot hole. But surely no matter how you drive a car, you can't shred a driveshaft in 6000 miles?! I drive it like anybody else would but I don't rag it that's for sure, the car is well cared for. The salesmans cars with scrubbed in tyre walls are the cars that would be suspect to wearing parts if any. But then it's a 300+ bhp car and really is proving not to be strong enough.

I've bought a Monday Morning or a Friday Afternoon car that was also made with butter by the seems of it.

I'm heartbroken, can't believe it's off the road again :( Sunk in a little more today, I had a 28 hour day yesterday having come off a night shift when it went into Audi.

Audi sorted me a taxi to collect the S3, well happy with the replacement vehicle service if anything.

As per the last fault you had, don't make yourself a nuisance to the dealer.

Yes you have a near top of the range car, but if you keep demanding something better they will get fed up of you.

My car cost over £36k new however I'm happy with what ever car they have to loan me, I haven't argued before about getting a like for like car.

Same with requesting all four drives be replaced (if it is those) they simply won't do it, they will replace what is faulty and not take out perfectly good parts.

Ultimately it's the factory where it's Audi themselves that are responsible for the faulty car. The dealers who are franchises working on behalf of Audi repair them for Audi and claim the money back and therefore it pays to be amicable with them and not be the person that they think, oh no it's him again

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68 and deanshaw24
As per the last fault you had, don't make yourself a nuisance to the dealer.

Yes you have a near top of the range car, but if you keep demanding something better they will get fed up of you.

My car cost over £36k new however I'm happy with what ever car they have to loan me, I haven't argued before about getting a like for like car.

Same with requesting all four drives be replaced (if it is those) they simply won't do it, they will replace what is faulty and not take out perfectly good parts.

Ultimately it's the factory where it's Audi themselves that are responsible for the faulty car. The dealers who are franchises working on behalf of Audi repair them for Audi and claim the money back and therefore it pays to be amicable with them and not be the person that they think, oh no it's him again

I requested an S3 yesterday this time and they supplied one. Last time a comment was made "he should be ****** grateful for what he's got", total discrimination. Just because I'm young they saw it was acceptable to put me in an Astra for 'several weeks' and I should be grateful for an S3 and the fact I had one to go wrong. I am grateful, but I don't deserve that treatment and people who work for Audi talking like that behind my back.

As far as the dealers go, I've had full respect for them all along and subjected no complaint or frustration against them. The dealer got the car diagnosed and repaired as soon as they could. The hassle was with Audi UK due to lack of available parts. When I call Audi tomorrow I will tell them I don't need the dealers spoken to, I need them to be aware and come back to me with a resolve because the car has been declared unroadworthy twice in 7 weeks. For a brand new car, it shouldn't have happened. These things do happen, but it isn't to be expected.

I'm not demanding this time around, I've taken a back seat. Phoning the finance company tomorrow, it's their asset and they took all seriousness in the last fault. Call Audi UK and make them aware it's back off the road, leave them to it and see what they say. Wait for a call from the dealer on what they have done tomorrow, then tell the supplying dealer what the prognosis is as requested. I'm not demanding from them.

As far as the courtesy car goes, last time there was a big push for it because when asked they said 'no, regardless of the time your car is off the road you will stay in the Astra'. When I'm paying well over £500 a month for the car that I'm not driving? Instead I was driving an £80 a month Astra. PCP is rental, why would I rent a car when I'm not using it? When they said several weeks for repair, I'm sure you'd want to be in a like for like car too for as long as you see that amount of money leaving your account anyway. It got to the Head of Audi Customer Services of the UK. When he learned what had gone on after a week of phone calls he was "digusted" that I had been treated that way and that isn't the way the brand wants to advertise itself. 12 hours later I had an S3.
Audi UK agreed with me, it's just they had to get past the stage of 'computer says no' with the staff on the end of the phone to get authorisation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, Mark_86 and pburv
Of course the head of Audi UK would be disgusted, your young and they are hoping that you keep your business with Audi in the future rather than lose you as a customer.

If it was me? I also would be thoroughly disappointed, it's a new car and has already had a fairly big fault, and sometimes it does happen, few years back I did a silly thing and purchased a Fiat Grande Punto 07 plate it was a top spec 1.9 120 multi jet, I was hoping fiat reliability had been sorted, was I wrong!!!

Turbo, wheel bearings, gearbox x2, steering rack, suspension too mounts, rear brake calliper, electric windows, alternator all failed.

I was lucky and had a great dealer that was a Fiat/Suburu dealer. They tried once to give me a basic Fiesta 1.25 I said I didn't want it because it was to uneconomical on the motorway. They put me then into a Legacy Outback 2.0d instead I was much happier then as it was better than the Punto

Of course the head of Audi UK would be disgusted, your young and they are hoping that you keep your business with Audi in the future rather than lose you as a customer.

If it was me? I also would be thoroughly disappointed, it's a new car and has already had a fairly big fault, and sometimes it does happen, few years back I did a silly thing and purchased a Fiat Grande Punto 07 plate it was a top spec 1.9 120 multi jet, I was hoping fiat reliability had been sorted, was I wrong!!!

Turbo, wheel bearings, gearbox x2, steering rack, suspension too mounts, rear brake calliper, electric windows, alternator all failed.

I was lucky and had a great dealer that was a Fiat/Suburu dealer. They tried once to give me a basic Fiesta 1.25 I said I didn't want it because it was to uneconomical on the motorway. They put me then into a Legacy Outback 2.0d instead I was much happier then as it was better than the Punto

I have learned my lesson from last time, I see now how I was a nuisance but it's easy to overlook these things when you are upset/angry and just want a resolve. It only took a few days with nothing happening for me to start panicking thinking it would be never ending.

I have every confidence in the dealer that it will be sorted and expect the car back by the end of the week if it's what we think and the parts are available. I'm chuffed that Audi got me straight in the S3, half an hour after they said my insurance limit was 150ps.

I'm just curious what Audi UK are going to offer to not necessarily compensate me but try and reinstate my confidence in the car. I love the car to bits, but it is easy to lose confidence. Should never have to question reliability of a car like this, but there we go... first world problems.

Wow that really sounds like you had a lemon there haha, what a repair list.. I expect outweighed the cost of the car!! Sounds like we both have a good experience with dealers, I have total faith in mine.
I don't use the service department at the supplying dealer, they have lost my business after a few issues across our 4 Audi's. I'm using a different dealer for service, which the supplying dealer sales department totally support me on which is great because they agree on the reasons why I want to keep my car away from their service department and have never argued it.

Fingers crossed it will be a quick diagnosis and return of the car, can't wait to get back behind the wheel. Not enjoying the manual so much this time, still a great car though and definitely a drivers car. Plus point, my 200+ mile road trip tomorrow is putting miles on the loan car and not my S3 :p haha.

Dealers are always going to be hit and miss, our local Audi dealer is okay when we take the A3 8P 2.0tsi convertible in, that's had a number of issues in so little mileage (it's a 2nd car and probably does little over 2k a year)

If I was you I would keep any request reasonable to the inconvenience caused - bare in mind the assistance of being in a like for like car goes some way of making up.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to request free services I don't think? Has to be done through Audi HQ

Dealers are always going to be hit and miss, our local Audi dealer is okay when we take the A3 8P 2.0tsi convertible in, that's had a number of issues in so little mileage (it's a 2nd car and probably does little over 2k a year)

If I was you I would keep any request reasonable to the inconvenience caused - bare in mind the assistance of being in a like for like car goes some way of making up.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to request free services I don't think? Has to be done through Audi HQ

Wow that's not many miles, I don't think I could use a car that little haha.

I know that Customer Services will ask I want them to do, I'm going to say I don't know what to suggest anymore but some faith restoration in the brand and car would go a long way.

They offered one free service last time, or a £250 voucher. I took the voucher because my first service is only £155. Last time the supplying dealer seemed to be set on a quick repair of the car and that be it, but this time I think they are set on compo of some kind. Exceeding my expectations would be a set of tyres when I need them, which would cost a little more than a major service but I will see what they come up with first. The finance company also gave me £100 last time (Black Horse), which was a nice gesture seeing as it had nothing to do with them.

Wow that's not many miles, I don't think I could use a car that little haha.

I know that Customer Services will ask I want them to do, I'm going to say I don't know what to suggest anymore but some faith restoration in the brand and car would go a long way.

They offered one free service last time, or a £250 voucher. I took the voucher because my first service is only £155. Last time the supplying dealer seemed to be set on a quick repair of the car and that be it, but this time I think they are set on compo of some kind. Exceeding my expectations would be a set of tyres when I need them, which would cost a little more than a major service but I will see what they come up with first. The finance company also gave me £100 last time (Black Horse), which was a nice gesture seeing as it had nothing to do with them.

It's a second car - wouldn't like to use it as a daily too noisy and hard work and uneconomical!!

Reactions: AudiNutta
So, an update...

The car is hooked up to microphones and a listening device in different parts of the suspension to try and find the noise.

They have found the noise is loudest on the brake calliper carrier bolts. They from that have concluded that although the bearing is healthy, the wheel bearing is moving in the outer casing.

Does anybody have any idea whether this could be a knock on effect from the rack problem or likely just a different fault?

Still waiting for a call back from Audi UK and a chat with the dealer on that front, but hopefully it won't be long until the car is back. 500 miles put on the loan car in 6 days, not bad going haha. Not quite as good as 800 in 7 the last time though.

Reactions: lenny151
Was the caliper carrier bolts loose? Might have to check mine if they was.

Was the caliper carrier bolts loose? Might have to check mine if they was.

Nope, that's just the point they attached a mic too and picked up the noise was louder there than anywhere else on the suspension. The nearest component to that they concluded was the wheel bearing, waiting on a new wheel bearing to arrive next week to see if that fixes it.

Ohh okay keep me updated on what fixes it if you don't mind, might just change mine Tomorrow

Ohh okay keep me updated on what fixes it if you don't mind, might just change mine Tomorrow

Yeah I will, will post updates when I get them.

Gutted about the car at the moment. Was going down the lines of rejection as suggested by dealer, drove a Golf GTI Clubsport and it was amazing.. made the S3 seem boring. Was going to use that to fill the gap between S3 and RS3, but financially it's just silly to as I would have to go long term lease. £700+ a month for a £30k Clubsport over 2 years, crazy money.

Will see if Audi offer any apology this time, otherwise I think it's just a case of hanging in there and waiting for the RS3. Audi's website says orders open April 2017.

Steering rack will have no bearing on the brakes at all, separate fault. It might just the PAD isn't seated in the calliper properly. It will just be a different fault.

Audi don't make them like they used to. Quality has dipped since becoming far more mass produced and trying to make components cheaply to increase profit.

Sadly it's impacting on customers, and seems to be a trend of VAG cars not doing well in reliability surveys

Steering rack will have no bearing on the brakes at all, separate fault. It might just the PAD isn't seated in the calliper properly. It will just be a different fault.

Audi don't make them like they used to. Quality has dipped since becoming far more mass produced and trying to make components cheaply to increase profit.

Sadly it's impacting on customers, and seems to be a trend of VAG cars not doing well in reliability surveys

It's not an issue with the brakes, they can't clamp on a mic to the wheel bearing so the next closest part was the back of the calliper! At the back of the calliper the noise was loudest and they then suggested wheel bearing! I'm guessing they have checked the calliper and seating of pads as the easiest option first already.

Just missed a call with an update because I'm sleeping off nights and now they probably aren't in till Tuesday, b******s :(

It's not an issue with the brakes, they can't clamp on a mic to the wheel bearing so the next closest part was the back of the calliper! At the back of the calliper the noise was loudest and they then suggested wheel bearing! I'm guessing they have checked the calliper and seating of pads as the easiest option first already.

Just missed a call with an update because I'm sleeping off nights and now they probably aren't in till Tuesday, b******s :(
Did you ever get the issue resolved? I’m having a similar issue with the clinking sound. Made a thread on it also.