S Tronic potential buyer

Henry1302

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a facelift 8p s3, I've seen a nice one that ticks most boxes, it's an s tronic which I think I am leaning towards as I will be using the car as a daily however I'm not ruling out a manual.

The car is on 46k but it's not had a gearbox service... should I be concerned by this with all the s tronic issues? It's a private sale and the car looks like it's been well looked after otherwise.

I am planning on going to look at the car next weekend but it's a long way away so don't want to waste the journey...

Last edited:
Can't comment on problems of a-tronics as I've had 2 and never missed a beat, albeit newer VAG and current Audi. You'll love the s-tronic, takes the constant clutching out of stop start traffic and is a pleasure to drive. Is it a private or dealer sale?? Can you ask as a condition of sale that the box is serviced?? If I'm not mistaken it normally takes place at around 40k miles. Someone may correct me on that.

PS. Welcome to ASN. You'll get the answers you're specifically looking for.

Is a private sale so I doubt I could make it a condition of the sale, I don't mind getting t done myself as the car is well priced. I'm mostly concerned that I'll end up with a problematic gearbox on my hands later down the line

The first service is the most important one on a dsg, they fit a revised oil filter with it, also most of the wear in period for the box is in this time too.
40k is the interval, but will give you a bit of bartering leverage, will cost £200 for the DSG service and its late.
I love my DSG, and never missed a beat, at 73k now, and you can have fun with the box in semi auto mode too as its like a manual with 6 gears, but without having to waste your effort depressing a pointless pedal on your left called a clutch pedal.

Be careful and drive the car until the car and gearbox is up to temperature, if you get the dreaded PRNDS light flashing up on the dash then walk away.

One of the best guys to ask on here is @45bvtc not much he doesn't know or tried when it comes to DSG boxes.

36.gif

I'm in the market for a facelift 8p s3, I've seen a nice one that ticks most boxes, it's an s tronic which I think I am leaning towards as I will be using the car as a daily however I'm not ruling out a manual.

The car is on 46k but it's not had a gearbox service... should I be concerned by this with all the s tronic issues? It's a private sale and the car looks like it's been well looked after otherwise.

I am planning on going to look at the car next weekend but it's a long way away so don't want to waste the journey...

I've three Audi with DSG: an RS3 with 7-speed DSG; a TT with 6-speed DSG , and an A1 twin-charge 185bhp with 7-speed DSG: and I've no issues with any of 'em. For sure would never go back to a manual gearbox as the DSG can be operated just as well manually but without flailing the left-leg around - and a darn sight faster too than with a stick and pedal when swapping cogs.

As for the DSG oil change well that's scheduled at 60,000 miles :readit:

Reactions: Scottyg
Ask the buyer to reduce the asking price by around £180 to cover the cost of having the gearbox service done pretty much straight away. Providing the car has FSH using genuine parts you could also purchase extended fully comp warranty through Audi which offers peace of mind - these can throw some really hefty bills if they aren't looked after properly.

Thanks for all the replies, so as long as it's drives ok and I get it serviced asap the fact it passed it service interval by 8k shouldn't be an issue? (I'm reading that the interval is 38,000 and the car is on 46)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks for all the replies, so as long as it's drives ok and I get it serviced asap the fact it passed it service interval by 8k shouldn't be an issue? (I'm reading that the interval is 38,000 and the car is on 46)

"so as long as it's drives ok and I get it serviced asap" EXACTLY!

Make sure it's an Audi service so as to get any 'upgrades' it may have missed. And ask the Audi Service dept for a copy of the Audi Service history for that particular car - oh yes you can - as so much service data is held by Audi.

Interestingly, having purchased our A1 it was only later when I gained a copy of its service history that I found it had had a complete NEW engine @ 8k miles - due to high oil consumption, a common issue with the twin charge 185bhp Audi/VW engine.

No such issues with the 8P S3, I might add.

36.gif

I've three Audi with DSG: an RS3 with 7-speed DSG; a TT with 6-speed DSG , and an A1 twin-charge 185bhp with 7-speed DSG: and I've no issues with any of 'em. For sure would never go back to a manual gearbox as the DSG can be operated just as well manually but without flailing the left-leg around - and a darn sight faster too than with a stick and pedal when swapping cogs.

As for the DSG oil change well that's scheduled at 60,000 miles :readit:
40k service interval for the DQ250 wet clutch 6 speed DSG

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks for all the help, fingers crossed all will be in order with the gearbox, are there any things to look out for (gearbox or otherwise) or tests to do when I look over the car?

Try the gearbox in in manual mode using the stick and then steering wheel paddles . After that try in full auto mode, in all case the gearchanges should be smooth as silk. If you drive the car at a sensible pace in full auto, you'd be hard pressed to know which gear you are in without looking the display.
If you are starting of from cold in reverse then there may be a slight delay when going from reverse to first which is ok, a dab of throttle gets you moving. After that it should be ok, the box warms up very quickly and there should be some 'Creep' when stationary and as always in a auto box you hold it with the brake pedal. Try the box in 'S' mode, should rev a lot higher before it changes gear. Wouldn't worry with the overdue service, just have it done asap.

Incredible is the S-Tronic box! I had mine mapped along with the engine not long after I bought it. Manual mode using paddles or gear stick is just stunning. Ever growing acceleration with no gear change lag like me driving a manual! lol.