S3 wheel spin

Luke Eagle

Reaction score
I have recently bought an S3 and love it, totally standard. But it has started to wheel spin (front wheels only) when i pull off quickly, also in second gear in the wet. It's as if the haldex isn't kicking in. Surely it should not be doing this. Can any one help!!!

if it's totally standard then you don't have a haldex unit. standard your front wheels spin esp kicks in before the rears have any real chance of helping out. Switch Esp off and it should help. As for why you're getting wheel spin I have no idea. Do u launch the car every time? or shift hard into second? the only way my front wheels will slip is if I give it some proper beans ??

Defratos said:
if it's totally standard then you don't have a haldex unit.

What??? Omg, all of us S3 owners have been deceived on en mass!

I could have sworn I changed the Haldex oil and filter on my S3 last year!

;)

surely turning off the esp will make this worse? also i thought all S3's had haldex, it's the "quatro" system????

All S3's DO have a Haldex controller, it sits in between the propshaft and the rear diff. It has electronics that control the amount of power transferred to the rear diff/wheels.
ESP help stops wheel spin by (and correct me if im wrong) activating the ABS on individual wheels and in severe cases by cutting engine power as well...

The Haldex system is a different setup to the permanent 4WD setup of the true Quattro's...

The Haldex based Quattro system is designed to be predominantly front wheel drive, I guess to improve MPG but the transfer of power should happen smoothly and seamlessly. I can sometimes detect the rear diff kick in, possibly due to play in the diff itself.

There was a guy on here recently suffering from the same problem or might have been over on uk-mkivs.net as the S3 shares the same drive train with the Golf 4-motion, Mk4 R32 and Octavia 4x4.

Do a search, there's plenty of info on both forums.

I thought that stewart. So do you have any answers as to why the haldex wouldnt be kicking in?

do you think it could be anything to do with the tyres as they dont have much left on them?

Luke Eagle said:
do you think it could be anything to do with the tyres as they dont have much left on them?

If you are convinced its just the fronts wheel spinning then no.

If you can find an empty car park on a damp/wet day (shouldnt be too hard!) then try setting off with ESP OFF and inducing wheel spin with plenty of lock on as if pulling out of a junction, by keeping the power on you SHOULD be able to get the back end out.

If the back end does come out and stay out under power then you know the rear Haldex and diff is doing its job.

If they're Dunlops then there isn't a mechanical or electronic system been built yet that could keep them from spinning.

AndyMac said:
If they're Dunlops then there isn't a mechanical or electronic system been built yet that could keep them from spinning.

Andy, the point of the thread is that Luke is saying that he thinks that only his front wheels are spinning...

Even if the tyres were bald the Haldex should transfer power to the rear to attempt to alleviate the slippage, Luke doesnt think that is happening.

But I agree, apart from the track/race tyres, Dunlops are, in general, pretty poor.

Luke Eagle said:
Cheers stewart i'll try that 2moz. I have p6000's.

I still have them on my original Avus's, were great in the wet, well, compared to the Toyo's and Yokohama's they were. The Pilot sports were actually pretty good in the wet.

Just to add that if you're standard power then you will probably have to be quite aggressive in your start to induce the power slide.

If its pretty wet then Revs about 4k and dump the clutch with plenty of steering lock on but try not to let it snatch too badly.

N.B - Do this at your own risk!

It's coming back to me now, the problem with other guys car was that the Haldex fuse had blown.

This is a common way of disabling the Haldex when on 2 wheel drive rolling roads.
Sorry, I dont know which fuse you have to check but do a search on :-

www.vwvortex.com
www.uk-mkivs.net
TT forums.
briskoda.net ?

Also, check that the wiring into the haldex itself is securely located which obviously requires you getting underneath the rear of the car to check.

Interesting, I've only ever managed to wheelspin my remapped S3 in the snow, with all 4 wheels rotating at the same speed. TheHaldex system is pretty quick, that only a chirp of the front wheels under power, and drive is sent to the back and off you go, I'd say either your haldex is knackered, or it's the fuse that's gone, but wouldn't there be a warning of some sort on the DIS if the haldex wasn't working?

I can do some hard launches (not stupid) even in the wet and ive yet to see any wheel spin in 1st gear never mind 2nd gear!!
Something is definately astray there if your suffering this much wheelspin.
Check the haldex fuse. Get it plugged into a vag-com unit and see what fault codes it throws up. If the haldex is not reacting as it should then it will be there in the fault code list.

Stewart said:
If you are convinced its just the fronts wheel spinning then no.

If you can find an empty car park on a damp/wet day (shouldnt be too hard!) then try setting off with ESP OFF and inducing wheel spin with plenty of lock on as if pulling out of a junction, by keeping the power on you SHOULD be able to get the back end out.

not a S3 issue but by got that sh*t is good :racer: :eyebrows:

jojo said:
Interesting, I've only ever managed to wheelspin my remapped S3 in the snow, with all 4 wheels rotating at the same speed. TheHaldex system is pretty quick, that only a chirp of the front wheels under power, and drive is sent to the back and off you go, I'd say either your haldex is knackered, or it's the fuse that's gone, but wouldn't there be a warning of some sort on the DIS if the haldex wasn't working?

Jojo...you need to stop driving like you are taking your granny to church!

You need either heavier shoes (especially the right) or more torque.

I could spin all 4 wheels if provoked in the dry in 1st (ESP off) or in the wet, off roundabouts in 2nd...proper 4 wheel slides.
Not easy, predictable, or fun on a Haldex car...but it happened anyway.

Ess_Three said:

I could spin all 4 wheels if provoked in the dry in 1st (ESP off) or in the wet, off roundabouts in 2nd...proper 4 wheel slides.

LOL, first of all can we leave my gran out of this, she's not around anymore! :3sadwalk:

And though my car isn't as torqued up as your original car, and my heavy *** bling bling 19's probably doesn't help, I have had it in a mild 4wd drift or the back end kick out whilst exiting a turn in 2nd gear :p , I was trying to explain that the Haldex system is pretty quick acting, so the front wheels spinning just wouldn't happen under normal circumstances.

PS. I am a driving god! :racer: :undwech:

mine will light up a little off the line but it catches on pretty quick. needs to be greasy to go in 2nd

Ess_Three said:

I can never get all 4 spinning round a wet round about :( it just understeers.

Mo-S3 said:
I can do some hard launches (not stupid) even in the wet and ive yet to see any wheel spin in 1st gear never mind 2nd gear!!
Something is definately astray there if your suffering this much wheelspin.
Check the haldex fuse. Get it plugged into a vag-com unit and see what fault codes it throws up. If the haldex is not reacting as it should then it will be there in the fault code list.

Me too, even with ESP turned off I can't get the wheels to spin!

Defratos said:
if it's totally standard then you don't have a haldex unit.

I'm guessing here, but I think you're referring to the performance controller????? Sure hope so :blink:

For a quick haldex check that's a little less violent than trying to swing the back end out, try using the handbrake. Find a quiet bit of road and do a launch with the handbrake on just one notch. The haldex disconnects under braking, so with the handbrake on the haldex is off. Hopefully you should be able to spot the differnce. If not, you have expensive problems.

Backdrifts said:
I can never get all 4 spinning round a wet round about :( it just understeers.

Standard suspension and tyres?
I suspect so. Typical S3 understeer...

When set up correctly with decent suspension components and good tyres you can pitch in with the front gripping, but starting to wheelspin, the Haldex will then send power to the back...kicking the back out...then reduce back drive as it's reaslised it's stepped out...then you can boot it and 4 wheel drift it round! :icon_thumright:

It's not easy though...as the Haldex isn't predictable...

ChriS3 said:
For a quick haldex check that's a little less violent than trying to swing the back end out, try using the handbrake. Find a quiet bit of road and do a launch with the handbrake on just one notch. The haldex disconnects under braking, so with the handbrake on the haldex is off. Hopefully you should be able to spot the differnce. If not, you have expensive problems.

This will only work with cars equipped with ESP apparently, cos it sure doesn't work on my T99 S3 with no ESP!

Ess_Three said:
Standard suspension and tyres?
I suspect so. Typical S3 understeer...

When set up correctly with decent suspension components and good tyres you can pitch in with the front gripping, but starting to wheelspin, the Haldex will then send power to the back...kicking the back out...then reduce back drive as it's reaslised it's stepped out...then you can boot it and 4 wheel drift it round! :icon_thumright:

It's not easy though...as the Haldex isn't predictable...

Yeah standard suspension and I think its dunlop tyres but i'll need to double check.

What would cure my understeer problem? Those r32 ARB's that people seem to be keen on?

I was planning on keeping my s3 standard, but after the new year the baby is getting modified, I think I'll keep all the orignal components though so I can return it to standard.

I notice you're from the aberdeenish area too, have you used or do you know of anyone that would recommend wallace proformance?

I found changing the springs and dampers cured the understeer.
I switched to KW coilovers and got power oversteer. Although now it wears rear tyre quicker than the fronts. The R32 ARBs made it less oversteery.

I find if you launch the car hard in the dry, first the front wheels will spin for a split second. You know when the Haldex wakes up the rear diff, when your head hits the headrest!
It's hard to tell in the wet, all four light up.

Backdrifts said:
I notice you're from the aberdeenish area too, have you used or do you know of anyone that would recommend wallace proformance?

Only for Jap cars, they don't do too many VAG 1.8T's and I personally wouldn't go near them. Your best option is to go down to Kirkcaldy to see Star Performance.

when i did just the rear R32 arb this drastically reduced understear but when ive now fitted the front it feels simular in understear than before.