Gutted.. Car Banned :'-(

That's the difference I think. You're tarring us all with the same brush. At 18 I was driving a 55 foot 44 tonne artic all over UK & Europe. All 750bhp of it, and before anyone pipes up, 'but it's a lot heavier and slower' heavier it may be, but the speed of those units with no trailers on their back is incredible acceleration wise. It catches a lot of car drivers out. All of my cars have been powerful, even my first. I was strongly advised against it, but why should I listen to someone who goes on the basis of a statistic? If you're determined enough to be different and not become a statistic like I, AudiNutta and Joe are/were then why not? 7 years on I'm accident free. Not saying it will never happen, but I beat the statistic of having an accident in my first year and two years of driving.

I think often the older generation think they're in an elite club and certain things and priviliges should only be available to them. (fast, dear cars, nice houses etc).

It's our money to do what we wish with it, and I thank my parents for allowing me to go ahead and do what I want with my money.

Calm down lad.

The younger generation always know better, I did once as well.

Don't tar us all with the same brush, I didn't even realise I was part of the older generation until a couple of years ago... it sneaks up on you you know, in a very sneaky and subtle attack that starts when you realise that Radio 1 is actually a bit annoying. A few key events then pass by almost without you noticing, like staying in on New Years Eve, and then suddenly you get the full wet fish slap in the face that says 'holy ****, I'm middle aged'. I swear it wasn't that long ago I was partying in a field, dancing my **** off, and trying to pull girls who definitely weren't marriage material. It certainly feels like only a few weeks ago that I was turning down blindingly lucrative investements in favour of blowing all my cash on cars, terrible nightclubs and trying to increase the notchiness of my bedposts, and mere moments since I realised that I would have been vastly better off now had I not been quite so quite so impetuous and gung-ho with my cash.

You should listen and learn while we can still remember this stuff, at the current rate of progression this middle age might move into full Alzheimer's and incontinence by sometime around the middle of next week.

roflmao.

BTW I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks but still listen to Radio 1 shows. Danny Howard's Dance Anthems and the Essential Mix to name a few:sunglasses:

Reactions: GSB and Joe4842
Radio 4 for me

29 going on 70....

Reactions: davc, Jassyo06, AudiNutta and 3 others
Calm down lad.

The younger generation always know better, I did once as well.

Calm down? I'm perfectly calm. I don't think I know better either, but you can go about things in two ways. Thankfully I'm not interested in being a statistic.

Reactions: davc and Joe4842
Basically a mix of both mechanical and electrical engineering.

Mine is an electrically biased apprenticeship, but we are employed as Multi Skilled Engineers. I'm more comfortable with mechanical at the moment, that's what most of it is to keep a production line running.

Back on topic with this; what would you guys call an acceptable time frame for repair?

I spoke to Audi UK today to see what was on offer as an apology if anything, they said well you are in a like for like car so we don't see what more can be done which is fair enough.

But what I expressed was, this can't go on forever. My car can't sit there for 3 months and just be waiting for repair. There has to be an agreed timeframe which when exceeded Audi will agree to replace the car because they cannot replace it. They have said they hope the part will be in this month, but if it isn't it will just go into a time frame of the end of March.

I appreciate being in the S3, I'm still paying for an S3 and I'm driving one but this can't be a battle that goes on for months.

What would you guys put forward to Audi to say "if the car isn't fixed in this period, I would expect a replacement". I was going to say the end of this month, if the part hasn't arrived by the 1st March when I want Audi UK to be talking to me about a new factory order. Or better still, leave me in this saloon and keep my factory order for the new RS3 coming out :p If I had to start another finance agreement, I would lose too much money to change to an RS3 so would be stuck in an S3 then. But, I will probably have my car back in a few weeks.. just preparing for the worst case now.

Providing mine is repaired, I'm asking the very unlikely question of can I swap the wheels on my car for the wheels on the loan car.. I've fallen in love with them. I have the wing arm alloys, the loan car has the saloon only option 19" alloys.

Youre done. You've a car the equivalent of your one without having to put on miles on your own car. Any further demands put you firmly in the bracket of grasping chancer not worth doing business with.

The key to winning this "battle" of yours is to recognise when you've already won and stop fighting.

They're never going to swap the wheels between your car and the loaner because they have no idea of their history. You'll just have to put your hand in your pocket and buy a set.

Have patience, it's not like you're being particularly inconvenienced now, is it?

Reactions: DrMal, Pook, Glasgoe Joe and 7 others
Youre done. You've a car the equivalent of your one without having to put on miles on your own car. Any further demands put you firmly in the bracket of grasping chancer not worth doing business with.

The key to winning this "battle" of yours is to recognise when you've already won and stop fighting.

They're never going to swap the wheels between your car and the loaner because they have no idea of their history. You'll just have to put your hand in your pocket and buy a set.

Have patience, it's not like you're being particularly inconvenienced now, is it?

But, you must agree that it cannot go on forever! What if my car is sat there in 3-4 months time? I'm extremely grateful to be driving the S3 I am in now, but it can't go on for months with no resolve. All I'm saying is at some point Audi will have to admit that they aren't in a position to offer a repair on the car I own. Until then, I'm treating the saloon like it's my own.

No I'm not being inconvenienced, but I'm sure if you were in this situation you would be equal in wanting a resolution. The car I bought was the car I chose, I didn't choose the car I'm in now and therefore I'm not paying for the specifics of this car. Yes it's a bonus not putting miles on mine, but at the same time I'm worried about it parked on the side of the road for all to see and bump... yes it's under their insurance, but that's not the point. I put in a request to clean it on their site on a weekend to maintain it while it's sat, that was declined.. it's my vehicle, I've been told I can't go anywhere near it.. it's not fair and shouldn't be this way. It's easy for people to look from the outside perspective, but if it was your own I'm sure you'd be less understanding. It's a tough pill to swallow to be told your £38k, 3 month old car is undriveable and I'm not allowed anywhere near it for that reason.

Like the rest of us, I just want to drive the new car I bought 3 months ago.

Reactions: 4K and batch
The reason you can not go anywhere near it, as they may have part of the steering assembly removed, or other components dissembled or about to be. They are responsible for the vehicle whilst in their care and they can not have owners attempting to move or washing the vehicle on their property, due to the liability risks for the dealer.

Reactions: richinsoton
Outside perspective?

I've had a new car that had to be repainted due to a quality issue, and another that required a new gearbox from the factory in Japan. Yet another was laid up for ages with turbo failure, and only last year I was in a loan S3 for nearly 6 months due to an Audi **** up. My new car, barely 4 months old, is going in this morning for electronic system diagnosis, and hopefully, repair although with it being a fault buried deep within the cars electron systems, I doubt it it will be resolved at the first go. I'm familiar with these frustrations you speak of.

It's a steering rack. A basic, fairly simple bolt on component. Given the factory are knocking out hundreds of A3 variants every day, I don't think you'll be waiting to long.

If, in 3 months time, your car is still gathering dust, then audi will have case to answer. Right now though, they've done all they can. Let them get on with the job, and stop thinking you are entitled to some special treatment.

Life's not fair, and if you keep crying wolf with requests to wash cars, change wheels, or get a new factory order, they'll stop taking you seriously. Yes, you're frustrated, but look at what you're asking for. There's absolutely no logic in someone who is unwilling to wait two weeks for a part to arrive being placated by having to wait 12 to 14 weeks for a whole new car to arrive.

Reactions: Pook, Glasgoe Joe, CraigI and 5 others
I put in a request to clean it on their site on a weekend to maintain it while it's sat,

I thought Craig was being a bit unfair when he said you need to calm down and stop stressing....

I now see where he was coming from...

Reactions: CraigI and richinsoton
For someone supposedly in an apprenticeship dealing with production lines are you not aware of just in time ordering?... No manufacturer keeps warehouses full of stock these days. Chill out you're in a like for like loan car now & I'm sure the rack will arrive in the very near future.

Reactions: azibux1
An interesting thread and full credit to GSB and CraigL for the considerable time and effort they have put in to try to bring some perspective and life experience to an unfortunate situation.

Although the unusual circumstances meant it took it a bit more effort to resolve I think Audi's response to this has been phenomenal and to provide a like for like, and most specifically fully insured, replacement was a massive goodwill gesture. While I have some sympathy with the OP I have to say that the more I read the more you wish you could hear the dealer's side of this story.

I'm sorry to say this but, using GSB's analogy from an earlier post, the OP appears to be working his way to a Category 4 customer and seems unwilling to take on board the advice and guidance that is being offered. Audi Centres are, first & foremost, places of business and quite simply no customer has any business being in the workshops or the secure compounds which is doubtless where the OP's car is currently being held while in their care. The suggestion of turning up every Saturday with a bucket & sponge was rightly refused for what should be blindingly obvious reasons and to have even suggested it shows the OP to be a bit too obsessive and frankly, a nuisance. What would be the OP's reaction if his Audi Centre let other customers into the compound to clean their cars and in the process scratched or damaged his car - I confidently predict he would be climbing the walls and blaming the dealership.

Goodwill gestures like the one already made are a two way street and are the dealers way of acknowledging that things haven't turned out as intended and also a way of showing good faith in a continuing relationship. After having already been the recipient of a very significant gesture it is bad form to be pushing further for a wheel swap, or being flown out to Germany for a red carpet tour of the factory or a replacement car for what at its heart is just a warranty claim, albeit a cause of great frustration for a relatively short period. There is a risk that it tells the dealer that they were misplaced in investing goodwill as this customer always wants more and ultimately your business isn't worthwhile going forward.

Enjoy the use of the loan car & the mileage that isn't going on your car and stop obsessing about ways to wangle more free items. You entered into a contract with Audi to buy a car and that placed them in a position where they had to supply the car and honour the warranty if it went wrong. They are honouring those obligations and in addition, at considerable cost, are providing you with a like for like replacement at zero cost to you in the intervening period because of issues arising from your personal circumstances (your age) that are completely outside of Audi's responsibility. That's a good result, so don't try to milk it and just let Audi get on with the job of returning your own car to you.

Reactions: Don76, Wood_Duck, BigBill and 10 others
Message received and understood! :haudrauf:

The steering rack will be completed next week in the latest news, so will pick the car up next week.

Waiting for a call back from Audi UK to close my case.

Reactions: Joe4842, Steelster and Tom.H
This thread has gone Uber Fubar...now....lol ye cant put a old head on young shoulders guys...lol

Reactions: Joe4842 and davc
This thread has gone Uber Fubar...now....lol ye cant put a old head on young shoulders guys...lol
IMG 1155

Reactions: Mark_86, richinsoton, Joe4842 and 3 others
Very true my friend. takes more than that to change us nappy wearing youngsters' minds! lol

glad the cars on its way to being back in action, its definitely not turned out as bad as you expected in the beginning Matthew :)

Reactions: AudiNutta
So highly strung / intense for a youngster.

Maybe I'm getting old now, but I was far more relaxed in my late teens.
Life was for enjoying and learning, not getting stressed, especially not about a car.

Save stress for when you have real life responsibilities.
Maybe he just has a bit more passion for his car than you do Craig? Saying that, I can see why you're so cool about the whole thing as that Astra would be a bit of a step up from your Renault:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: MattSedg, 4K, Joe4842 and 3 others
Reading through this thread has been a very sad experience indeed.

Half of it sounds like an episode of Eastenders vs University Challenge.

Reactions: Rob2k68
An interesting thread and full credit to GSB and CraigL for the considerable time and effort they have put in to try to bring some perspective and life experience to an unfortunate situation.

Patronising others can hardly be construed as a well-concerted effort, unless of course that's your raison d'être in life.

Patronising others can hardly be construed as a well-concerted effort, unless of course that's your raison d'être in life.
You do realise you don't have to read this stuff, right?

Whilst I can't speak for @craigl I can say that I'm not out to patronise anybody. I came here seeking help, learned a great deal, and when I can I help others. If you're still sore because I made a valid and very relevant comment about the veiled misogyny in forums such as these, then perhaps you need time for further reflection. In the meantime if you find yourself becoming over excited at my 'patronising' content, you're always welcome to hit the 'ignore' button on my profile pop-up.

Reactions: SJ43, Joe4842, batch and 4 others
Quite interesting reading through this and my thoughts on the matter.

It is upsetting yes when your new car has to go in and have a component replaced, although relatively minor component your reliant on the person to fit that component competently especially when it relates to something as major to the safety of the steering.

However, at the same time Audi seem to of helped significantly by placing the poster in a like for like car which they did not have to do. Years ago getting a courtesy car was a privilege let alone a like for like spec.

So being able to place a load of miles onto another car and not your own is good, and also means that you can probably safely explore the limits of that loan vehicle without placing the wear on your own for your own future reference.

Steering racks across most manufacturers isn't an uncommon component to replace.

I think turning up at a weekend with a bucket to wash it is somewhat ridiculous and the thought of you doing that just makes me cringe and feel embarrassed for you - I can again understand why you want to but it's really not worth it.

Last thing you want to do is become an annoyance to the dealer, because in the future they will become most unhelpful.

Wheel swapping will simply not happen, nice thought but no the dealer won't do this.

At the most? An email to customer services explaining the situation and a request for a free first service? Probably not unreasonable.

Reactions: BigBill, Glasgoe Joe, azibux1 and 3 others

Whilst I can't speak for @craigl I can say that I'm not out to patronise anybody. I came here seeking help, learned a great deal, and when I can I help others. If you're still sore because I made a valid and very relevant comment about the veiled misogyny in forums such as these, then perhaps you need time for further reflection. In the meantime if you find yourself becoming over excited at my 'patronising' content, you're always welcome to hit the 'ignore' button on my profile pop-up.

1. I don't recall mentioning your name
2. What I do realise, is that others don't need to have patronising twaddle aimed at them.
3. Perhaps it's your opinion and perception of 'veiled misogyny' on this forum, but I personally haven't seen anything like it yet, but let's not drag up that old horse again shall we, since that has no relevance to this one.

I wouldn't waste your time Grant, when this one's right he's right.

Reactions: Joe4842 and GSB
@AudiNutta
Matt, really feel for you and understand your disappointment on this matter - at 36 I'm still obsessed with my cars and the slightest thing upsets me, let alone a failed/dangerous steering rack and being unable to drive my new one.
Whilst I empathise with you about wanting to clean it, it's not really feasible - public liability and indemnity issues, possible damage to your or other cars whilst it's in their care - just trust that a good session on it when you get it back and it'll be fine, it's only getting dust and settled rainwater not brake dust, grime, salt and high-speed grit!
You've done well (but only what I'd expect) to get an S3 replacement in the interim but that's pretty much as far as I'd push, maybe speak to your sales guy and ask to take something tasty out for an hour or so one day?
I know it's frustrating dude but it will all be fine, and you'll have saved yourself a couple of months mileage which will help come sale/trade-in time!
Keep us posted :yahoo:

Reactions: AudiNutta, SJ43 and Joe4842
After the frantic activity over a short period covering most this thread, the last post from Audinutter was on the 15th saying he should be picking his repaired car up in about a week. It is now over 3 weeks later and silence. Anyone know what happened?

After the frantic activity over a short period covering most this thread, the last post from Audinutter was on the 15th saying he should be picking his repaired car up in about a week. It is now over 3 weeks later and silence. Anyone know what happened?

Apologies for not giving an update, I have been in work 99% of the time since and expected the post to take longer than what I am going to say now.

The car got collected the week after, on the Tuesday.. two weeks and two days after it got recovered. The only reason it got done so quick was because of how many people Cardiff Audi got involved.

The car drives well, tracking is spot on an no sign of anything having been done.

Audi offered me the first service free (£164) or a £250 voucher to spend at the centre. I took the voucher, I will use it for my first service and see what merchandise there is at the time.

Reactions: Joe4842 and Rob2k68
@AudiNutta
Matt, really feel for you and understand your disappointment on this matter - at 36 I'm still obsessed with my cars and the slightest thing upsets me, let alone a failed/dangerous steering rack and being unable to drive my new one.
Whilst I empathise with you about wanting to clean it, it's not really feasible - public liability and indemnity issues, possible damage to your or other cars whilst it's in their care - just trust that a good session on it when you get it back and it'll be fine, it's only getting dust and settled rainwater not brake dust, grime, salt and high-speed grit!
You've done well (but only what I'd expect) to get an S3 replacement in the interim but that's pretty much as far as I'd push, maybe speak to your sales guy and ask to take something tasty out for an hour or so one day?
I know it's frustrating dude but it will all be fine, and you'll have saved yourself a couple of months mileage which will help come sale/trade-in time!
Keep us posted :yahoo:

Based on the projected repair time, yes it would have been expected for me to get a like for like replacement. I never imagined getting one, I thought it would have just been an A3 1.4TFSi. I was most shocked when I asked the mobility team what it is likely to be, she said "hopefully like for like", I expected them to have made a mistake but half hour later I got a call that the S3 was on it's way to the dealer.

Cardiff Audi are already out of this world in looking after me. They invite me down for test drives in all the new models, just because. They do have an Approved used R8 Coupe though, I have requested a manned test drive in that if they can free up half an hour. I've driven an R8 briefly on a track, but the road will be the real comparison / test. Otherwise I have been told to wait for the next Audi UK R8 to arrive, then I can potentially take it away for a few hours.

Your perseverance generated some outstanding customer service by Audi Cardiff and Audi UK.

I see three winners here.

Reactions: Joe4842, deanshaw24, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Your perseverance generated some outstanding customer service by Audi Cardiff and Audi UK.

I see three winners here.

Audi in Cardiff have totally excelled themselves. But I will express that it was the sales team I bought the car off that chased this, my car won't be touched by service at Cardiff.

Cardiff heard comments made like "he should be greateful he owns an S3", from the likes of Audi UK.. shocking.

There is no age restriction to buy the car, if it goes wrong Audi UK need to accept equal responsibility and not discriminate against the customer for their age.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Apologies for not giving an update, I have been in work 99% of the time since and expected the post to take longer than what I am going to say now.

The car got collected the week after, on the Tuesday.. two weeks and two days after it got recovered. The only reason it got done so quick was because of how many people Cardiff Audi got involved.

The car drives well, tracking is spot on an no sign of anything having been done.

Audi offered me the first service free (£164) or a £250 voucher to spend at the centre. I took the voucher, I will use it for my first service and see what merchandise there is at the time.

Yeah - glad you're all sorted and enjoying the car again.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Threads like this make me thankful I sold my Audi and moved over to the BMW forums. :)

Threads like this make me thankful I sold my Audi and moved over to the BMW forums. :)

Hate to point out the obvious, but you are quite clearly still here....?

Reactions: davc, AudiNutta and Joe4842
Hate to point out the obvious, but you are quite clearly still here....?
Correct, before today my last sign in was months ago. Got to keep tabs on the enemy every now and again. :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Correct, before today my last sign in was months ago. Got to keep tabs on the enemy every now and again. :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The 'enemy'....it's a brand of car not a....
....Actually I don't care...

Good for you

Reactions: AudiNutta and Tom.H