Servicing-Question

MarAnt

Reaction score
I have just joined the forum and this is my first post so sorry if it is a bit long winded.
I have a bog standard 1.4 tfsi e-tronic A3 which is coming up to a year old next March. My mileage will only be about 7500 by then, consisting of mainly short journeys around town, so not really warmed up (the oil) for a lot of the time.
I have spoken to the servicing department of my Audi dealer where I bought it from about booking a service in March and got the normal response of "It doesn't need doing until 18000 miles running or 2 years whichever comes first and fixed term servicing is only applicable to 3 year old cars, the oil is designed to cope with this". Even with the modern developments in synthetic oils I can't believe this is good for the engine. They said that they could do an oil and filter change for £213!
Looking at the forum posts, doing an oil and filter change seems pretty straight forward, I've been doing this on my previous cars for more years than I care to remember so I plant to do it myself using Audi parts (filter and sump plug) and Castrol Edge 504.
My question is, should I then reset the oil change interval on my MMI or leave it so it still flags up for the 18000mile/2 year service. Will the cars' plc monitor driving conditions and bring the oil change period forward or is it fixed at 18000 miles. I don't want to do a second oil change before the two years!

If your not doing a reasonable amount of miles annually, l would suggest you move to a fixed service interval rather than the variable one your on now.

I had the same concern regarding when to do the first oil change on my S7. The variable service indicator told me another year (car was 13 months old at this point, and 13,000 miles). In the end l serviced at 15k and changed to fixed annual services.

The services aren't cheap, but if you provide your own OEM service items, the cost is more maneagable.

BTW, if you do it yourself you will loose any warranty.

:racer:

if you are adamant

dont reset the oil or service just change the oil and filter with oem, and dont tell anyone

Hi RAF-S7,

Thanks for your quick response. The £213 was for an oil and filter change only, I think the full interim service was around the £275 mark.

I did ask the dealer servicing rep if he could change the servicing to 12 monthly fixed but he was really adamant that this was not necessary and "where had I got this information from, as this was only relevant for 3 year old cars" and refered me to the Audi website servicing page where he said this was explicitly stated. It seems daft that they would turn away extra income.

I'm not really bothered about the full iterim service as other than the oil change the only extra cost seems to be for giving the car a good "looking at" - fluid levels component security etc which I do regularly anyway.

Regarding the warranty, my reasoning was that if I used genuine Audi parts and didn't change the oil service counter how would they know that I had worked on the car. But who knows, they may have some special seals or marking on the components to tell whether there has been any tampering by unskilled non-Audi mechanics such as myself!!

Doing the journeys you do, the car will probably ask for an oil change long before 18000 miles. I would change the oil, keep the receipts and reset the oil change indicator. The only downside I can see to doing this is that you'll not get any software updates until it goes in for warranty work or for the two year service.
If you get your car to three years old the major service will be a lot cheper.

Personally if i were in your position i would have my head deep buried in the warranty Terms&Conditions before even touching the car!

Within reason if cost is not an issue and concerns of engine damage is then get your dealer to change the schedule to fixed...There shouldn't be a charge for this...

Hmmm seems like pot luck which servicing interval you get stuck with.

My S5 had its oil change last month, at 8,500miles and 13months old.

Got charged a very reasonable (sarcastic typing in force...) £242 for the pleasure...

Reactions: pburv
Hi Dr Eskimo,

Did your MMI flag up an oil change or was it your own decision? Does this mean your next service will be when the car is 2 years old or is it again variable?

Hi Dr Eskimo,

Did your MMI flag up an oil change or was it your own decision? Does this mean your next service will be when the car is 2 years old or is it again variable?

Flagged up on my MMI as saying it needs an Oil Inspection. Yes my next inspection will be in a years time, which will be a service and oil change.

Hi Dr Eskimo,

Thanks for the info.
So it looks like oil changes on the variable servicing schedule for low mileage cars works out at roughly 12 monthly intervals anyway, same as fixed schedule.

Hi Dr Eskimo,

Thanks for the info.
So it looks like oil changes on the variable servicing schedule for low mileage cars works out at roughly 12 monthly intervals anyway, same as fixed schedule.

Confused now...doesn't your post suggest your A3 won't have an oil change until 2yrs/18,000miles?

Hi Dr Eskimo,

Thanks for the info.
Err no...
It will be worked out on how many miles you drive and at what sort of manner you drive ie fast aggressive etc..

Reactions: DrEskimo
I think you will find all new A3s leave the factory with the service interval set to Variable. When I received a full list of the items being used to build the A3 I have on order it included the following item: MWIVQG1 - Service interval prolongation.

The Audi UK website recommends 'Fixed Service Interval' for mainly town driving and short journeys with an oil change every 9k miles or 1 year and 'Flexible Service Interval' for more than 10k miles in a year with an oil change at a maximum of 19k miles or two years and an Inspection service every 19k miles or 2 years for both. On the Flexible interval the inspection service and oil change are usually done together.

Personally my A3 told me at 18k miles it needed servicing and an oil change. No doubt somewhere near 36k it will tell me the same. I have used this system for all of my nine A3s and never had any problems. If it's what the company that makes the car says it needs who am I to say different.

Does Miss Daisy wear a lead boot on her right foot as well...!

:racer:
transport-monster-frankenstein-student_driver-driving_lesson-learner_driver-mgsn39_low.jpg

Reactions: DrEskimo
Surely Audi drivers don't drive aggressively do they!! I think low mileage, cold running and short journeys will be more likely to bring down the oil change intervals.

Anyway thanks for all the advice everyone, greatly appreciated.

I've decided to book it in at Audi for an oil change at 12 months with me supplying all the consumeables to bring the price down. I don't enjoy crawling under a car and getting oil down my arm etc as much as I used to and I don't want any warrantee complications!.

I'd rather do it at 12 months than wait for an oil change message halfway through the second year then have to get another oil change shortly after at the 2 year service. It will spread the cost out as well.

And this is me in my red A3

Attachments

• Satnav.jpg
    Satnav.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: pburv and Tom.H
Surely Audi drivers don't drive aggressively do they!! I think low mileage, cold running and short journeys will be more likely to bring down the oil change intervals.

Anyway thanks for all the advice everyone, greatly appreciated.

I've decided to book it in at Audi for an oil change at 12 months with me supplying all the consumeables to bring the price down. I don't enjoy crawling under a car and getting oil down my arm etc as much as I used to and I don't want any warrantee complications!.

I'd rather do it at 12 months than wait for an oil change message halfway through the second year then have to get another oil change shortly after at the 2 year service. It will spread the cost out as well.
When you take it in you should get them to change to fixed schedule.
As h5djr says, under 10K it should be on fixed schedule. I think your dealer is mistaken. This has been discussed ad nauseum on here.

Yes I am going to insist they change it to yearly servicing when I take it in.

This topic is obviously causing a lot of confusion with Audi owners judging by the tens of posts and discussions on the on it. My confusion started when I asked my dealer for advice!
Is it possible to bring all the posts together as a sticky thread with a link made to the the servicing page on the Audi website for the definite answer?.

Still can't understand my dealer being adamant that a one yearly service is not necessary for my driving conditions when this is clearly stated on the Audi website owners servicing page.

Yes I am going to insist they change it to yearly servicing when I take it in.

This topic is obviously causing a lot of confusion with Audi owners judging by the tens of posts and discussions on the on it. My confusion started when I asked my dealer for advice!
Is it possible to bring all the posts together as a sticky thread with a link made to the the servicing page on the Audi website for the definite answer?.

Still can't understand my dealer being adamant that a one yearly service is not necessary for my driving conditions when this is clearly stated on the Audi website owners servicing page.
It,s a problem with a lot of dealerships. You often get bad ones but sometimes gooduns. Searching forums is often the best thing You can do if looking for real world advice. Plus You get the benefit of a giggle along the way..lol

The dealer certainly should change the schedule. When I bought my car it was set to flexible. But I only do about 8K per annum.
I called the dealer and they said just bring it in for service after 12 months and they will do the service and change the schedule then.
And that's what they did. So your dealer should do the same.

I usually do approx 5k a year and have always just stuck to getting it done yearly, will do the same with the S3 as well no doubt.