Servicing Question - S3

sgtvic

Reaction score
I've driven diesel Audi's for the last 12 years and have always been on the flexible/variable servicing as I do a minimum of 18,000 miles a year.

A month ago I swapped for a brand new S3 I've put about 1400 miles on it and having looked at the MMI it shows:
'Next Oil Change 9700 miles / 333 days'
'Next Inspection in 17700 miles / 623 days'

So looks like it's set to fixed service intervals. Mentioned it to dealership in passing and they said its on the correct schedule for a petrol car, especially an S3. :suspicion:

Fair enough if that's true, I'm not trying to scrimp on the servicing at all, but I could have sworn that I have seen other people on here with S3's on the flexible/variable schedule. Or am I imagining it?

Thanks!

I had the same confusion too when I switched to an S3 doing 20k miles per year.

Just had mine serviced last week and got the garage to change it to long life service. They had to check it was okay for an S3 but it was no problem at all.

Cost me £450 but covers 18,000miles/2 years. It works out better on my mileage than doing a fixed major and minor over the same period which would be £560ish in total, plus another day off the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: sgtvic
I've driven diesel Audi's for the last 12 years and have always been on the flexible/variable servicing as I do a minimum of 18,000 miles a year.

A month ago I swapped for a brand new S3 I've put about 1400 miles on it and having looked at the MMI it shows:
'Next Oil Change 9700 miles / 333 days'
'Next Inspection in 17700 miles / 623 days'

So looks like it's set to fixed service intervals. Mentioned it to dealership in passing and they said its on the correct schedule for a petrol car, especially an S3. :suspicion:

Fair enough if that's true, I'm not trying to scrimp on the servicing at all, but I could have sworn that I have seen other people on here with S3's on the flexible/variable schedule. Or am I imagining it?

Thanks!
My S3 is on long life serving, currently on 1)k and indicating 1st inspection and oil are due at 18k

Mine (MY17) was on long life from new, first service was carried out at 13K

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it!

The dealership is obviously talking b******s telling me that S3's can't be on long-life servicing then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davc
Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it!

The dealership is obviously talking b******s telling me that S3's can't be on long-life servicing then.

I've been told by Audi UK and the dealerships that they come from the factory with the variable plan and need to take car in for it to be changed to fixed.

I've been told by Audi UK and the dealerships that they come from the factory with the variable plan and need to take car in for it to be changed to fixed.

Thanks! I was convinced I'd read before that they arrive on variable.
Guess that means they changed it to fixed before they handed it over then, strange when they know my mileage.

What dealer was this?

Check your data sticker in the boot or in your service book if one is there as well.

If you see the PR code QG1 then your car can be set to variable servicing.

AFAIK this has been in place since the early 00's, my MK4 golf had it back in '02.

Unless the car is destined for harsh climates then by default it should be set to variable from the factory

The dealer should advise what regime to follow based on your expected annual mileage and whether a lot of short journeys are made.

Variable should only really be for cars that do frequent m'way journeys where the oil is at operating temperature for extended periods.

Reactions: KenL and sgtvic
Thanks for the reply!

No service book it's digital but I'll have a look for that sticker in the boot.

I'm on the motorway every single day and doing 18k ish a year but all they had to say was that it has been put on is the ''correct schedule for an S3''

Definitely looks like they put me on fixed though

Reactions: davc
Bolton

My dealer put my car on fixed despite me specifically asked for variable.

I complained and they sent a technician to my work to change it along with a gift voucher for accessories.

My S3 is on long life serving, currently on 1)k and indicating 1st inspection and oil are due at 18k

I used this as an example but the dealership won't have it, they are saying the oil change has to be set to fixed so yours wouldn't say 18k for oil.
They are going to check with Audi apparently. It's all a bit weird, like they don't know anything about the cars they are selling...

I used this as an example but the dealership won't have it, they are saying the oil change has to be set to fixed so yours wouldn't say 18k for oil.
They are going to check with Audi apparently. It's all a bit weird, like they don't know anything about the cars they are selling...
emoji849.png

I used this as an example but the dealership won't have it, they are saying the oil change has to be set to fixed so yourjs wouldn't say 18k for oil.

Hi mate, shot of service screen and current mileage below, hope this helps.

Current mileage 16.7k, oil due 1.3k. I picked up the car 14th Feb 2017, this will be the 1st oil change and inspection.

307EFFB3 6B08 4EAB 91B2 9CD2ED2784AC

7D192FB1 0568 44F7 82F5 1B9C5E6C4DEA

I was thinking the same! I haven't seen that figure yet

my record is around 38mpg, got it on a trip to manchester.....when my engine was on 600 miles? not even run in and i was getting that, weird

Reactions: TYb
my record is around 38mpg, got it on a trip to manchester.....when my engine was on 600 miles? not even run in and i was getting that, weird

That's pretty good considering it wasn't broken in yet.
I had to go to Forton services last week to pick my dog up from my Dad as he had broken down so I was driving very sensibly with her in the car and got 34mpg. That's the best I've had. :)

Reactions: MattSedg and TYb
nice mpg you got there!

On my run back from work in Bristol to Cheltenham I always tend to get 36 - 40mpg, especially now it’s warming up a bit.

I don’t really hang about either, may be being a 3 door I get a little more, very impressive for the power.

Personally on a new car I’d get it serviced in the first 10k miles, I had a 2017 S3 and had that done every 10k

Both my PFL and FL were on the variable and went to 19k miles before coming up with service.

I was doing a 30 minute motorway commute at the time.

I also, sticking to the speed limit etc, managed 40 mpg on a regular basis. :)

Reactions: KenL and sgtvic
I'm set to annual services, does anyone know what is involved in a 3 year service ? I'm on 15,000 miles. Cheers.

Both my PFL and FL were on the variable and went to 19k miles before coming up with service.

I was doing a 30 minute motorway commute at the time.

I also, sticking to the speed limit etc, managed 40 mpg on a regular basis. :)

Did you have your first oil change at 19k as well?