S5 a few questions...

Joetidman

Reaction score
Anyone know the answer to the following random set of questions? Been trawling the A4 section and can't find them.

1. Does the passenger seat have massage function as well as the driver side?
2. Does the passenger have memory? Assume not
3. Does the massage just cover the lumber region of your back?
4. Anyone tried the adaptive cruise? Does it really steer the car for you?
5. Any views of adaptive suspension and comfort setting. Is it better than in the S3 (which has high rebound rate and becomes bouncy which makes my wife sick!)
6. Any longer term view on the auto gear box over the s-tronic?
7. What colours can you change the interior lights to?
8. Anyone with Matrix LED lights got a view on their performance vs normal LED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know the answer to the following random set of questions? Been trawling the A4 section and can't find them.

1. Does the passenger seat have massage function as well as the driver side?
Yes

2. Does the passenger have memory? Assume not
No

3. Does the massage just cover the lumber region of your back?
Back and sides

4. Anyone tried the adaptive cruise? Does it really steer the car for you?
It does if you get the steering assist regular acc doesn't steer for you however it only works when the lines are visible for the car to pick up, it can be uncomfortable when it tugs on the wheel when it doesn't think your turning enough

5. Any views of adaptive suspension and comfort setting. Is it better than in the S3 (which has high rebound rate and becomes bouncy which makes my wife sick!)
It is noticeably softer but I would t say it bounces a lot

6. Any longer term view on the auto gear box over the s-tronic?
It's the same gearbox that's in the rs6 so a very nice box to deal with however having driven both a dsg and this box you really have to focus to notice any difference

7. What colours can you change the interior lights to?
Standard led pack contains Blue red and white the extended pack covers about 30 additional colours

8. Anyone with Matrix LED lights got a view on their performance vs normal LED?
Tricky to answer as for the matrix to function it has to be a dark unlit road as any heavy traffic or street lights detected by the matrix sensor disables it until its darkened I noticed it a lot this morning as it was dark and foggy that's when you notice the affect I would say it's worth it as you can get it in a pack with the extended led interior pack

Replies above, hope this helps

Reactions: DickiePhitt and Joetidman
So another one....is the S5 AWD still a Torsen setup? I heard somewhere they might have changed to haldex now?

So another one....is the S5 AWD still a Torsen setup? I heard somewhere they might have changed to haldex now?

Tricky one. There was a move to a Haldex Ultra system, but it's difficult to get any information about whether this is used in the S5.

Some say it use Haldex Ultra, some say it uses the old Torsen and some same it uses Haldex Ultra unless you spec the sport differential, in which case it changes to the Torsen....

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Mmm interesting. I'm getting the sports diff, and I must save I'd be surprised if they can get the haldex diff to make the car do the things its supposed to unless haldex tech has come on a long way recently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that haldex is torque limited too, and I imagine it must be pushing it with the V6 in the S5

Yet another question then (as I'm on a roll)...!

Did you get an IPhone 5/6/7 cable for charging the car when you picked it up?

In the S3 it came with the old iPhone 4 cable and I never got a new one!

Yet another question then (as I'm on a roll)...!

Did you get an IPhone 5/6/7 cable for charging the car when you picked it up?

In the S3 it came with the old iPhone 4 cable and I never got a new one!

I demanded the cable from my dealer so I got it included

Regarding the s5 I believe it's the only b9 a5 that does not use Quattro ultra

I demanded the cable from my dealer so I got it included

Regarding the s5 I believe it's the only b9 a5 that does not use Quattro ultra

So you mean the S5 would use Torsen (as it's an B9 A5 underneath)?

Mmm interesting. I'm getting the sports diff, and I must save I'd be surprised if they can get the haldex diff to make the car do the things its supposed to unless haldex tech has come on a long way recently

From my admittedly limited engineering knowledge, a sports diff on a Haldex system is not possible...

Regarding the iPhone, isn't the new S5 system like the new S3, which does away with the proprietary MMI cable for just a standard USB connection that can use the standard iPhone cable?

It is a standard USB cable however i insisted on getting one as the Audi cable is coiled and fits nicely in the front armrest

Reactions: DrEskimo
Based on what I have read about "quattro with ultra technology", it is only available with longitudinal s-tronic gearboxes. So this must exclude the S5 which has an 8HP auto box manufactured by ZF. The front clutch is mounted on the gearbox itself so clearly Audi could do whatever they had to do with the s-tronic box to accommodate it. To do the same with the 8HP would require work by ZF. Clearly this is possible, and I'm certain that the one supplied by ZF is an Audi-specific variant. But based on Audi's info, for the moment it is only s-tronic cars that will get it, starting with the B9 A4 allroad.

Out of interest are there any B9 S5 owners with VCDS? It would be good to see what info there is on the exact 8HP gearbox used.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Really great info thank you! I'm pleased it uses the Torsen set-up, by all accounts its superior in that it's always on, so will be interesting to see if I notice any real difference...

New question. Anyone know what the ‘S’ model enhanced braking system is? Does that just mean bigger disks? Anyone know the sizes of the discs and calipers?

Sorry more questions...(hopefully other people are getting value from the answers too!)

- Spec mentions a CD player, not a DVD player (which my S3 has), does that mean I can't play my kids DVD's anymore in the S5?
- Views on B&O vs S3/A3? Seems to have more speakers in the S5 but same overall output?

The s5 standard comes with a DVD player and speaking with Audi customer service apparently the kit for digital tv is included but would need to be enabled.

Regarding the b&o setup there are 20 speakers and 755 watts with the 3D sound compared to the 16 and 705 watts for the a3

Thanks Sparky . I didn't realise digital TV was an option at all btw?!

It isn't in the options list yet but speaking with customer service the unit that comes with the s5 is the same as the a4 with the to unit built in but I guess it's a case of being enabled or if Audi will let you enable it (most likely for a pricey sum)

Exciting! Please share if you hear more

Are there any USB ports in the back that can be used for charging ipads etc?

Are there any USB ports in the back that can be used for charging ipads etc?

Afraid not that I can see but will double check for you

Reactions: Joetidman
Anyone try the remote locking option through the app?

Another question...what is the 'running in' recommendation in the S5 manual? 1000miles under 3000rpm?

Anyone try the remote locking option through the app?

I've got the A5 Sportback and i can remote unlock through the app and through my apple watch. Its quite clever but its pretty slow so not really something for everyday use. I've only really used it to show people that it can do it. Other than that i imagine its quite handy if you lock your keys in the car or if you're just running out to grab something from the car i guess. I used the app a lot to double check that the car's locked though if im ever second guessing myself.

Does the app have the option for the Auxiliary Heating for the A5? I've read on a few forums its only available for the e-tron models however its shows up as an option on the Demo mode of the app for the A4 TDI

As far as I'm aware it's just for the etronic models but I'm not sure if it's different for the S5. I know the standard A5s don't have it

ah ok, would have been nice to have in the winter. Checking on the piston heads forum the S5 does not have the Electric Auxiliary heater fitted but it is on the A5 TDI models , hopefully a future software update can enable it.

I read somewhere that it's only diesel cars that have it as they have an electric heater as diesels take longer to warm up

ah ok, would have been nice to have in the winter. Checking on the piston heads forum the S5 does not have the Electric Auxiliary heater fitted but it is on the A5 TDI models , hopefully a future software update can enable it.

Really? I wasn't aware of that! I'm happy with that as I've got the tdi. Hopefully they enable it eventually

yeah, only place you can see it mentioned that I've found is on the YourAudi tracking page, its listed under Interior from what I can remember

Attachments

• IMG_6318.PNG
    IMG_6318.PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 393
New question...anyone know what tyres (brand, size etc) come on the S5?

My coupe came with Continental Contisportcontact 5 in size 255/35/19.

Whilst mine isn't an S5 it is on 19s and has come with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Tyres

Interesting they came on different tyres despite being the same size wheels

Based on what I have read about "quattro with ultra technology", it is only available with longitudinal s-tronic gearboxes. So this must exclude the S5 which has an 8HP auto box manufactured by ZF. The front clutch is mounted on the gearbox itself so clearly Audi could do whatever they had to do with the s-tronic box to accommodate it. To do the same with the 8HP would require work by ZF. Clearly this is possible, and I'm certain that the one supplied by ZF is an Audi-specific variant. But based on Audi's info, for the moment it is only s-tronic cars that will get it, starting with the B9 A4 allroad.

Out of interest are there any B9 S5 owners with VCDS? It would be good to see what info there is on the exact 8HP gearbox used.

I ran a scan a few weeks ago after pick of the 2017 S5 Coupe:
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8W0 927 158 B HW: 0D5 927 156 H
Component: 0D5 30TSIRdW H05 1006
Revision: --H05---
Coding: 100000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMALX52011 002010
ROD: EV_TCMALX52011.rod
VCID: 4182AB63D0481049A6-8014

No fault code found.

Is this what you wanted?

Thanks. Unfortunately whereas a web search for the 0B5 gearbox reveals useful data, the same for 0D5 did not. :(

New question. Anyone know what the ‘S’ model enhanced braking system is? Does that just mean bigger disks? Anyone know the sizes of the discs and calipers?

Just wondering if anyone has sorted out the answer to this question? I'm trying to decide if I need upgraded pads/brake lines/fluid for my 2018 S5. I am planning a two day Nurburgring event, and want to make sure that braking stays strong.

Sorry to hijack a thread...but what sort of deals are people getting on S5? Wa s looking in to an RS3 but prices came back absurd. S5s are equally expensive, but I've heard the deals are superb. Would 3,500 down (contemplated 5k with an RS3 and 500/550 seem reasonable or am I well out? Thanks

Sorry to hijack a thread...but what sort of deals are people getting on S5? Wa s looking in to an RS3 but prices came back absurd. S5s are equally expensive, but I've heard the deals are superb. Would 3,500 down (contemplated 5k with an RS3 and 500/550 seem reasonable or am I well out? Thanks

Assuming you're talking PCP and assuming you're looking for about 10k miles per annum and over 48 months, then yes £500 a month shouldn't be hard to achieve. Optioning the car up will obviously have a big impact on this, along with shortening the term and upping the contracted mileage.

You should be aiming for circa 15% discount off list.

Reactions: FBF01
Assuming you're talking PCP and assuming you're looking for about 10k miles per annum and over 48 months, then yes £500 a month shouldn't be hard to achieve. Optioning the car up will obviously have a big impact on this, along with shortening the term and upping the contracted mileage.

You should be aiming for circa 15% discount off list.

Yes PCP, 8k miles per annum and over 3.5/4 years. Happy days. Will need to wait a further 2/3 months before ordering then, as my current car doesn't go back till March. Just need to get an order in and the deposit paid so I can relax for 6 months knowing it's all sorted.