Rear headrests issue

nichburton

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Picked up my new A3 Sportback Tdi 170bhp last week, absolutely lovely! So much more refined and speedy than my old Mk4 Golf, although the rear is not as practical for load-carrying (a bit disappointing considering the "Sportback" ethos).

I can remove the two rear outer headrests, but cannot remove the middle one. Despite pressing the small button, it will only raise about 5cm and no more. Is the middle headrest supposed to remain, or does mine just require some extra brute force?

Have you checked the manual? I've never removed the rear headrests, but the middle one is quite small anyway so is never a problem for visibility or when folding the whole seat down.

The middle headrest doesn't need removing in my opinion when folding the seats down as they will fold as far as they can without hitting the back of the centre tunnel (I have an front armrest too).

And as I am only 5'9" I never need to remove the outer ones either as the seats fold down fine behind the fronts.

However, I do find the width of the boot opening between the sides panels for the parcel shelf and the wheel arches the most frustrating bit - my wife's Peugeot 106 is far more practical for carrying large loads and I can fit our new pushchair in her car boot better than in mine (i.e. I have to remove parcel shelf in mine to make it fit)

The middle headrest doesn't need removing in my opinion when folding the seats down
Quite correct, I don't have a problem with visibility or folding the seats down.

What I want to do, is remove the headrests to make enough room to slide a small kayak over them and onto the (folded-back) passenger seat. Unfortunately, even with the headrests removed, it looks like there won't be enough space between seat & roof to allow this, but I'd like to try.

Have been happily taking my boat like this for the last 6-7years until now (Peugeot 306/VW Golf Mk4), the Golf would even take 2 of my kayaks in the boot space with the seats folded flat. A3 takes 1 at a very tight push and leaves no near-side visibility. :eek:(

Have you checked the manual?
Hmm, that's a radical step! :sly: (Manual's at home, I won't be back home for another week.)

Time to invest in a Roof rack - you shoudn't be puting wet mucky boats in your nice new car. LOL.

No point trying to get my Jefe in then.:)

I have my middle headrest out altogether. I never carry more than 3 others in the car and with the middle headrest removed I can easyly put lengths of timber (still polythene wrapped) through the tailgate, across the back seats and into the front passenger foot well by just winding down the back-rest on the front passenger seat.

Time to invest in a Roof rack - you shoudn't be puting wet mucky boats in your nice new car. LOL.
No point trying to get my Jefe in then.
I know its a sin to put mucky gear in a nice car, but I hate going below 45mpg. :blush: Thule rack has already arrived, looks like I'll be getting more use out of it than I intended.

Jefe? No chance! I could squeeze a Micro240 in the Golf, but its a struggle to get a Chronic in the A3.

h5jdr - if you've already got your middle headrest out, then mine must be slightly stuck. I'll give it some effort.

Thanks for the replies.

They always look great in black.

Did you get the 1417 Thule kit and does it fit ok as I am upgrading and a bit unsure which is the right one.

Thanks and see you on the river... or at least in the car park!

I got the Thule package. Seems to fit well, quick to tighten up and feels secure, although I haven't tried it with a load yet. For an A3 Sportback with roofrails, you need:
  • Thule Rapid foot pack #4901
  • Thule Rapid "Intracker" adapter kit #4914
  • Thule 127cm square bars #769
Totals up to about £95 from most of the online shops. These sites will also tell you what you need for other cars:

http://www.roofrackshop.com/default.asp
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Aluminium aero bars would be better if you want to pay the extra (better looks, less noise, better mpg).