Facelift Brilliant Black?

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any pictures of a facelift A3 in brilliant black? I've ordered mine in that colour to save some money and was wondering what it looks like. The dealer didn't have a new A3 in that colour when I ordered mine so I'm not sure :grimacing: If anyone could help that would be brilliant.

Thank you!

A few on Auto Trader if you look, good luck with the black! Great when clean but keeping it clean is a full time job and it shows every single mark. White for me next regardless of the car :)

Mythos black for an idea:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and pburv
I had a Brillant Black 8P - looked EPIC when it was clean and polished, but if it was swirly it looked shocking!

Thanks for the input guys! Do you think brilliant black is harder to maintain than ibis white?

Also, how white is ibis white?

Brilliant Black= flat paint=very soft paint=easily marked=swirl marks or any other kinda of mark.as for lbis white,its pretty white

A IBIS S3
A IBIS S3 2

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Reactions: pastey, deanshaw24, The Kendragon and 2 others
I have it. Don't be scared by what others have said.

However! Never go near a car wash or hand wash service unless you totally trust them.

Read up on handwashing. I use good shampoo, noodle wash mitts and two bucket method.

Poorboys Black Hole and a durable wax like Collinite will look after it.

Black cars when clean and waxed look the absolute best. For me (don't shoot me it's just my opinion) white cars never look amazing and the fashion for white may soon pass.

I've got the mythos black which is the metallic and it look beautiful, but I haven't had a chance to get to properly cleaned and waxed since taking the delivery because of the weather but go for the metallic over the flat. When the sun hits it even if it's a little dirty it looks lovely

Reactions: KenL
Agreed, metallic black looks lovely. I've had metallic black Golf and MINI. But, there is something special about a deep, deep solid black.

Reactions: The Kendragon and billy.rt
Yeah you're right, as daft as it sounds they are a totally different black... but if you're going for an S3 over an A3 definitley the metallic in my opinion. But at the end of the day, ine mans meat is another mans poison!

Reactions: KenL
Look after black properly and it looks awesome, friend of mine's R32

59590805-9DBD-4110-B8F6-15F53F7F9EDB.jpg

Had brilliant black last four years. Wouldn't have it again.

Its flat paint, marks easy and chips easy. I don't drive close to people but my front bumper and bonnet is awful. Lots of white marks. Never had a car like it.

Does look great when clean though. Have always polished/waxed the car since new. Used Poor boys black hole. Also Ammo is good

Just ordered next A3 and gone for metallic

Reactions: Jassyo06
That's an excellent pic!!!

Reactions: pburv
Stuck between a rock and a hard place haha! My car's delivery is so far off I keep adding options and I'm starting to contemplate the colour :weary: It's my first car and don't want to regret it as I've got it for four years on a PCP agreement. Thanks for the comments though, some interesting things I hadn't thought about in regards to cleaning and chips/marks

Any very dark colour is prone to show swirl and any defects...brilliant when they are buffed up but they demand a lot of love and care to keep them that way...easiest colours to maintain to in my opinion are white and silver.
As an aside most modern car paint finishes are a basecoat (flat) and then finished with clearcoat for protection and shine

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Any very dark colour is prone to show swirl and any defects...brilliant when they are buffed up but they demand a lot of love and care to keep them that way...easiest colours to maintain to in my opinion are white and silver.
Seeing that I'll be doing 40 miles a day to get to work, I think I may change to white :flushed:

Reactions: S32B and Audi Bairn
Seeing that I'll be doing 40 miles a day to get to work, I think I may change to white :flushed:
I'd consider Daytona grey, I have it on my TT and it stays looking clean longer than any other car I've had. Saying this it's being replaced with a Nevarra S3 shortly.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Stuck between a rock and a hard place haha! My car's delivery is so far off I keep adding options and I'm starting to contemplate the colour :weary: It's my first car and don't want to regret it as I've got it for four years on a PCP agreement. Thanks for the comments though, some interesting things I hadn't thought about in regards to cleaning and chips/marks
If you like your detailing then having your colour choice won't be a problem..
At the end of the day it's your own choice. Black is a great colour when it's clean...:friends:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and The Kendragon
I also have a new facelift S3 sportback s-tronic in Panther Black crystal effect. Beautiful colour when cleaned as it has a purple under colour which shines through when clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: billy.rt
Just traded in my Ibis S5 at the end of last year. It's a nice bright white and I really liked it, especially on the BE.
I've had a couple of black Audi's myself but they were Phantom Black metallic, a great colour too.
My wifes previous Mk2 TT and current Mk3 TT were / are Brilliant Black. Like any black, they take a bit of cleaning but it's a perfectly good looking colour if you don't want to pay extra for metallic etc.

Reactions: The Kendragon, KenL and Flying Scotsman
Just traded in my Ibis S5 at the end of last year. It's a nice bright white and I really liked it, especially on the BE.
I've had a couple of black Audi's myself but they were Phantom Black metallic, a great colour too.
My wifes previous Mk2 TT and current Mk3 TT were / are Brilliant Black. Like any black, they take a bit of cleaning but it's a perfectly good looking colour if you don't want to pay extra for metallic etc.
Thanks for that, think I'll stick with it then and if things do start looking bad, I'll just get it detailed :blackrs4:

I had brilliant black on my previous Audi & after approx 50k miles it looked like someone had fired a shotgun at the front of it from the amount of stone chips it had, by (unfair) comparison my current A3 in monsoon after 19k miles has three chips!. Exactly the same m'way commute in both cars too. I can only assume the brilliant black is a soft paint by comparison.

Reactions: Spurrellian
I had brilliant black on my previous Audi & after approx 50k miles it looked like someone had fired a shotgun at the front of it from the amount of stone chips it had, by (unfair) comparison my current A3 in monsoon after 19k miles has three chips!. Exactly the same m'way commute in both cars too. I can only assume the brilliant black is a soft paint by comparison.
Oh ouch! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just see... Heard a lot of different things :neutral:

mythos black here, with the right products black will never look dirty!

#lovedodo
IMG 0951 1

Reactions: richinsoton, The Kendragon, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
good luck with the black! Great when clean but keeping it clean is a full time job and it shows every single mark. White for me next regardless of the car :)
This ^ very much this :thumbs up:

The wife's old black/red R56 MINI JCW -

Drove my car OCD into orbit! Never again ...

Having had an ibis white A4, this was by far the easiest colour for me to keep clean

Easy enough to get some decent reflections too

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, The Kendragon and Audi Bairn
This ^ very much this :thumbs up:

The wife's old black/red R56 MINI JCW -

Drove my car OCD into orbit! Never again ...

Having had an ibis white A4, this was by far the easiest colour for me to keep clean

Easy enough to get some decent reflections too
I've been looking around at pictures/videos and I've fallen in love with Ibis White! Will be asking my dealer for a colour change :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bristle Hound
There is also another advantage to Ibis White it is a solid colour and very easy to paint match not like pearl and crystal effect paints. I had a pearl white once and after a brick fell on the hood, it took 3 goes to get a decent paint match, as the paint really changes hue with different lighting. I picked Ara Blue knowing this might be an issue which I trust I do not have to go through. The present steed is a solid white and very easy to keep looking good, but I am a blue boy at heart and Ara Blue is not too dark, plus I am retired and have lots of time on my hand to buff a car.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, The Kendragon, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
I've been looking around at pictures/videos and I've fallen in love with Ibis White! Will be asking my dealer for a colour change :)
@GTAIVgunner - 'Tis a great colour & so easy to keep clean IMHO
Some beading & reflection shots of my old ibis B8 A4 :thumbs up:

040614c_zpsdb48781d.jpg

040614e_zpsa685ca41.jpg

5ab85ed2c79d35e6f6ae752e3b6c29ae_zps8e0e39f0.jpg

2e87541f018fb9e5c130ebe00c6435f4_zpsc86843f4.jpg

Its the only colour in the A3/S3 8V palette that I would go for at the mo

Reactions: The Kendragon
@GTAIVgunner - 'Tis a great colour & so easy to keep clean IMHO
Some beading & reflection shots of my old ibis B8 A4 :thumbs up:

040614c_zpsdb48781d.jpg

040614e_zpsa685ca41.jpg

5ab85ed2c79d35e6f6ae752e3b6c29ae_zps8e0e39f0.jpg

2e87541f018fb9e5c130ebe00c6435f4_zpsc86843f4.jpg

Its the only colour in the A3/S3 8V palette that I would go for at the mo
That looks great! Pretty glad I'm changing as I've seen a few white A3s around and they look really nice. Dealer will probably be thinking 'oh no, not another spec change' :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Bristle Hound