Decisions Decisions!

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a little while reading posts, looking at pictures and trying to decide whether or not I should have an S4 Avant!

My story is somewhat long winded, so the short version:
Brought a Merc in July 2016 for Sept 2016 delivery, picked up on 1st Sept.
Took car on holiday to Cornwall, second day EML light came on, car done 1100 miles. Car has now been rejected due to having a cabin full of water.
Had various arguments with Mercedes dealership, and Merc UK involved., but finally ordered a higher spec replacement car in mid Nov for Feb/March delivery.
Heard no more.
Merc UK phoned Merc dealership last Thursday to ask on status, they told them car was to be delivered March.
Next day Merc Dealership Emailed me saying car is not going to be delivered as they have run out of leather dash, so won't be til May/June but no confirmed dates.

I don't believe a car was ever ordered in Nov, and Thursday's call just reminded them!

There is a LOT more I can add, but TBH, I don't want to bore you, lets just say customer service goes a long way and it's clear Merc aren't good with it!

So it's time to make a decision, stick with Merc, or Jump ship to Audi!

Choice:
1) Stay with the Merc Order C250d Met Red lots of options Premium Plus, Driving Assistance, HUD, 19's, Leather dash, 360 camera, black pack. £510 pcm £2000 deposit 48 Months PCP
I am currently driving a C300h loan car which is costing me nothing.
Car means I have to accept new VED rates which adds approx £30 pcm if you calculate it in that way.

2) Have an S4 Avant. Loose the Merc loan car and get my deposit back (hopefully). This means I need an In Stock S4 of which there are a few in the country. My main option was to have Active Cruise in my new car, no in stock cars have this :(
So deals I've been offered on 48 month pcp £2000 deposit:

Mythos Black: 19's, Vision Pack, Privacy glass, Camera sign recog, elec mirrors, mem seats £580 pcm.
Manhatten Grey: Light & Vision Pack, Privacy glass, Rear camera, FB SW, Quattro Sports Diff £599 pcm.

I'll have to accept my wanting the active cruise is out of the window as my choice is limited unless I order new car and buy a temp car.

What's peoples thoughts? Stay with Merc and wait (hoping its now ordered) or Audi S4 here I come?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
:s4addict::end of discction:

Reactions: Rob_F, TripleD, Jcbmally and 2 others
This forum is self selecting for people who would say S4, so you pretty much know what answer your likely to get!

An S4 sounds a lot nicer than a Merc C250d, but it is a quite different car (performance rather than diesel economy).

Could you find a high spec A4, a 3.0 diesel would be more like the Merc (nicer I'd say) and you might find one with a spec that suits you better!

How important is the Adaptive cruise to you? Only you can answer this! It was one of the things that attracted me to the S4 (pick mine up in the morning). I'd be loathe to buy such an expensive car if it didn't tick my must-haves, better to wait and pay a slightly higher road tax, surely. Compared to the depreciation, it's not that large; £500 more first year, £310 more on subsequent years, compared to perhaps £8K a year in depreciation? Painful, I know, but worth it if it means you drive around for the next 3 years or so happy rather than regretful!

The worst thing is to buy a new car you don't like and then end up selling it early, I know that after loosing £14K in 12 months a few years ago.

I'm a bit shocked at the uniformity of spec on the demonstrators and showroom cars. Dynamic steering (pah), sport diff (will most people notice it's there or not) and ****** flat bottomed steering wheels and red calipers. And of course the ubiquitous 19" wheels! It would be better to have some variety, but I case they think these are what will sell the vehicles?

The Adaptive Cruise is part of the Driver Assistance Pack - Tour, along with Active Lane Assist and traffic sign recognition, which was one of the first things I ticked. Also Adaptive Suspension, and the Parking pack for the 360 degree cameras! The packs do seem good value for money compared to some other marques (e.g. Porsche)!

The first thing I ticked was the Light & Vision Pack, which is a really easy decision.

My local dealer has a demonstrator for sale, with almost exactly the same list price as mine (they offered me it rather than order my own spec), but it has no adaptive cruise, no lane assist, no adaptive suspension, no 360 degree cameras, no heated steering wheel... I was always going to wait! In the end my car came two months earlier than forecast.

Good luck with your decision, not easy which ever way you go, though a free Merc while you wait is saving you some money!

Geoff

Reactions: TripleD and Thundercliffe81
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a little while reading posts, looking at pictures and trying to decide whether or not I should have an S4 Avant!

Took car on holiday to Cornwall, second day EML light came on, car done 1100 miles. Car has now been rejected due to having a cabin full of water.
Had various arguments with Mercedes dealership, and Merc UK involved., but finally ordered a higher spec replacement car in mid Nov for Feb/March delivery.
Heard no more.
Merc UK phoned Merc dealership last Thursday to ask on status, they told them car was to be delivered March.
Next day Merc Dealership Emailed me saying car is not going to be delivered as they have run out of leather dash, so won't be til May/June but no confirmed dates.

I don't believe a car was ever ordered in Nov, and Thursday's call just reminded them!

There is a LOT more I can add, but TBH, I don't want to bore you, lets just say customer service goes a long way and it's clear Merc aren't good with it!

Choice:
1) Stay with the Merc Order C250d Met Red lots of options Premium Plus, Driving Assistance, HUD, 19's, Leather dash, 360 camera, black pack. £510 pcm £2000 deposit 48 Months PCP
Car means I have to accept new VED rates which adds approx £30 pcm if you calculate it in that way.

2) Have an S4 Avant. Loose the Merc loan car and get my deposit back (hopefully). This means I need an In Stock S4 of which there are a few in the country. My main option was to have Active Cruise in my new car, no in stock cars have this :(

Mythos Black: 19's, Vision Pack, Privacy glass, Camera sign recog, elec mirrors, mem seats £580 pcm.
Manhatten Grey: Light & Vision Pack, Privacy glass, Rear camera, FB SW, Quattro Sports Diff £599 pcm.

I'll have to accept my wanting the active cruise is out of the window as my choice is limited unless I order new car and buy a temp car.

What's peoples thoughts? Stay with Merc and wait (hoping its now ordered) or Audi S4 here I come?

As Geoff says, it's a very different car to the Mercedes diesel. More attractive certainly and better interior. Mercedes pulling it back a bit, even though their UI and graphics seem a little 'Kitch'.

3.0 TDI A4 would be the comparison. Agree with that. But, simply no sense of character in my opinion after having one on loan for a day. Hard to go from an S4 to a 3.0 TDI though. Anyway! You'll feel better in the S4. More special. Good luck in your quest, I think it's terrible what Mercedes have done. Audi can be equally as guilty. They're huge companies after all. There are going to be failings but it doesn't make it right.

In short. S4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleD
Hi All,

Heard no more.

Choice:

What about this https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...tm#/i/s|9,AA|10,AAAW|92,D/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,D

Reactions: gbrown
Hey @TripleD
I'm sure we conversed back in 2012! Recognise the name, didn't you have an A4 back then?
Sorry to hear of your merc issues, for me they've had there chance and blew it.
I've had emails from carwow suggesting there are about 7 S4s readily available from dealers, varying spec and colours.
Most of them seem to be at Tetbury Audi in Gloucestershire

That looks nice!

Hey @TripleD
I'm sure we conversed back in 2012! Recognise the name, didn't you have an A4 back then?
Sorry to hear of your merc issues, for me they've had there chance and blew it.
I've had emails from carwow suggesting there are about 7 S4s readily available from dealers, varying spec and colours.
Most of them seem to be at Tetbury Audi in Gloucestershire

Yeah back in the Dynamik days!
Seen the car wow stock cars, have been on the phone today, most aren't stock but confirmed builds with build weeks in beginning Feb!

Reactions: Jcbmally, Keef and gbrown
Update:

S4 owner :yahoo:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Jcbmally, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Update:

S4 owner :yahoo:
No pic's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then it don't happen, ASN rules fella. Glad you've got sorted out and hopefully to the spec you wanted.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Bristle Hound and TripleD
Really? Wow that was a quick order lol, congrats

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and TripleD
No pic's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then it don't happen, ASN rules fella. Glad you've got sorted out and hopefully to the spec you wanted.

:bye:

Really? Wow that was a quick order lol, congrats

Left message for salesman to call, he called just after 7 as they were getting ready for some event, business manager was there, told them the deal I wanted, phoned back 10mins later, deal done. Stock car.

Now the fun begins with Merc!

Reactions: cuke2u, Jcbmally and Keef

Left message for salesman to call, he called just after 7 as they were getting ready for some event, business manager was there, told them the deal I wanted, phoned back 10mins later, deal done. Stock car.

Good luck with Merc but remember you are the customer its your choice.

Reactions: TripleD

That's great, fast work!

Spec?

Come to Audi. I've just said in another post it's not just the car that gets my kids inheritance, it's the whole experience. Jct600 for me. Might start a thread for who's who's favourite dealer and why...

Good or bad dealerships, would we be allowed to have thread on them?

I don't know, I think as long as we don't slander any of them?

Reactions: cuke2u
Went back to Audi today, looks like an A1 is on the cards! Expensive month! :hopelessness:

Reactions: Keef
What's ppl's opinions on the insurances?
I never normally take GAP, Wheel, or tyre insurance.

I'm thinking Gap @£599 might be worth while. Wheel at £299 sounds okay in case you clip one, but it's £80 a time to get it done yourself.

Deffo not a fan of lifeshine, it'll be treated better at home with Gyeon!

£599 for gap! No chance, more like £250-300 - my dealer quoted me £334 for Gap, I said no thanks
Closer to the time I will get an online quote from ALA.
I've Never bothered with wheel& tyre cover, but again I'd check online for a quote first

£599 for gap! No chance, more like £250-300 - my dealer quoted me £334 for Gap, I said no thanks
Closer to the time I will get an online quote from ALA.
I've Never bothered with wheel& tyre cover, but again I'd check online for a quote first

An issue with a lot of online companies is that they don't cover diamond cut.

I got the wheel cover chucked in for free with mine (was £119 over 2yrs think) and would happily pay for it! Get 6 refurbs a year and can even take it to where ever you like and get reimbursed £110.

As above don't touch their GAP. Look at ALA or gapinsurance.co.uk.

Reactions: Keef
My dealer wanted £495 for wheel & tyre for 36 months -I'm sure I'd get the same cover cheaper online

Reactions: DrEskimo
My dealer wanted £495 for wheel & tyre for 36 months -I'm sure I'd get the same cover cheaper online

Hmm yea that does seem pricey..

Mine was just alloy, not tyre. Not sure if all dealers offer that?

Actually I remember some dealers selling the alloy cover, then realising the customer can't claim because it doesn't cover diamond cut so they were refunded. No problem with mine though.

Worth checking all the details!

Regarding Dynamic Steering, I'm not so sure it is 'Pah', not on the S4.

I'm not sure if you have tested a B9 S4 with and without the new Dynamic steering system. I have, twice now to be sure, and coupled with and without sports diff - Coupled with the sports diff, I found it so superior I would challenge anyone to the same test and no take the car with the Dynamic Steering (and Diff). Its worlds better (and than the previous dynamic steering system) and makes the S4 feel almost as connected to the road as the 340i I drove a few days previously. Ive driven Quattro's for years and years, and we all know the niggles over the precision of the steering, but this new car and set up as I described is the most superior experience I've had in any 'executive' Audi.

An issue with a lot of online companies is that they don't cover diamond cut.

I got the wheel cover chucked in for free with mine (was £119 over 2yrs think) and would happily pay for it! Get 6 refurbs a year and can even take it to where ever you like and get reimbursed £110.

As above don't touch their GAP. Look at ALA or gapinsurance.co.uk.

Living in London I'd certainly look at wheel cover, but Ive got the 19" Dimond Cut ordered, you find anyone who covered that?

And what would would one expect to pay for GAP on a high spec S4? Should I look at covering the whole 4 years or just the first two which the biggest risk.

Living in London I'd certainly look at wheel cover, but Ive got the 19" Dimond Cut ordered, you find anyone who covered that?

And what would would one expect to pay for GAP on a high spec S4? Should I look at covering the whole 4 years or just the first two which the biggest risk.

Yea I have 19" diamond cut as well. The cover I have from Audi has worked really well.

Up to you on GAP. My S5 is only on a 2yr finance deal so took GAP for that, which was £155. Compare the two quotes and see what works.

Yea I have 19" diamond cut as well. The cover I have from Audi has worked really well.

Up to you on GAP. My S5 is only on a 2yr finance deal so took GAP for that, which was £155. Compare the two quotes and see what works.

Great thanks, thats most helpful. You moving into the new S5? Tested it a few weeks back, its a beaut..

Great thanks, thats most helpful. You moving into the new S5? Tested it a few weeks back, its a beaut..

Pleasure :)

Nah not a fan of the new shape. I do really want to test drive it to see how the new engine and change of gearbox differs, but I need to move to something smaller, so the S3 is on the cards.

Pleasure :)

Nah not a fan of the new shape. I do really want to test drive it to see how the new engine and change of gearbox differs, but I need to move to something smaller, so the S3 is on the cards.

I'm in a B8 and I thought the same, till I saw it for the second time. Really grew on me and its a far superior drive in terms of control, balance and connection to the road.