24 mm lowered , what should camber / toe = ???

AGB-S3

Reaction score
Round and round in circles ..finally have all the adjustment's freed off

Replaced the cars miss -matched dampers/springs suspension , with koni coil over pack 2 rear springs + dampers 2 front vary rate springs + dampers .. Car was about 24 mm lower , koni pack set to same height , virtually its maximum height ..

Local Tyre place checked the aliment, everything is out ... cannot adjust the camber .. needs to be taken to ??

LF Camber -1.22.............RF CAMBER -1.56
LF TOE IN ... -0.03.............RF TOE IN .. +0.09

LR CAMBER -2.26 ...................RR CAMBER -3.06
LR TOE IN +0.31 ........................RR TOE IN -0.08

Q Whats needed . will the rear camber adjust , or do I need to fit adjustable ties ?

or is there a set of readings it should be set to with the pack fitted ??

Tnx- Graham .

You need adjustable control arms in the rear. I used these: https://silverproject.eu/en/shop/audi-2/regulowane-wahacze-tylne-audi-mk1-tt-golf-mk4-4x4/

As for the front, I used camber plates like these: https://silverproject.eu/en/shop/audi-2/regulatory-ka…talw-camber-plates-golf-mk4-seat-leon-black/

You can't really adjust camber without these, but you should be able to straighten it out on the stock components (same camber front and rear at least). I think.

As for toe, worry about that later, after your camber is done. Just make sure it's equal.

but you should be able to straighten it out on the stock components

That's the problem, upto now its been one of those never ending cycles , the last pass , was the shop could nor adjust the rear off side , as the bolts where seized ....from what I can gather , the near side front camber is in spec , just ..

If so , rear tie bars , should be all thats needed ... ?

Lowering the rear of a quattro 8L will always affect toe and camber due to the way the suspension arcs...

You will need adjustable tie-bars to correct both toe and camber...

Balancing front geo can be a pain especially if the subframe has been off... there is a degree of adjustment to be had loosening the subframe bolts and pushing it as far forward as poss (better caster) and trying to equalise camber by centring the subframe..

Front camber can be tweaked by loosening the 3 nuts holding the ball joint on the front arms... they are slotted

<tuffty/>

Don't know if the sub-frame has been off , but all the bushes and joints are are new , rears new 2 years back as where the 'blue dampers ..

The $64,000 question , is , can the front camber , be recovered using the original adjustment , don't look too far out and has been 'in' in the past with the lowered spring's and standard struts , the foil was from the shop, the rear was locked up .. now its not locked ...

2 adjustable tie bars + 4 wheel alignment = ? the end this time round .. may be

can the front camber , be recovered using the original adjustment

The small amount of difference you have should be doable with the slotted std arms

2 adjustable tie bars + 4 wheel alignment = ? the end this time round ..

Need to fit them to the bottom for best adjustment possibilities of toe and camber... not much toe adjustment available if fitted to the top as its the swing arm that needs to move to correct toe...

Here is a post on my thread of my setup and has the OE settings as a reference too

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-74#post-2342463

<tuffty/>

Ah, interesting .. ''For reference I pulled up the factory settings...''

What would constitute 'sports running gear' ? , other than the lowered suspension [ assume koni set meets this, at -24 mm ] what else is changed , are there different tie bars / other parts ... Noted on the adjustable arm's , so in the final build , after fitting adjustable tie arms ..

The car should be set up to the sports running gear settings, as listed ?

Tnx -G,

From what I understand std S3 is 10mm lower than A3... they did a GmbH kit on later models that was 20mm lower I believe... not 100% on that but I haven't really looked tbh...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ot-colours-my-spring-has-just-snapped.114455/

The link above may help..

Geo settings I am using currently are due a revisit once I change my springs from -30mm apex to -25mm H&R and go back to LCR top mounts from the camber plates... rear camber will stay at -1.5 degrees ( which is -1 degree 30 minutes) though...

OE spec is for nearly -2 degrees std...

I used -1.5 deg based on a write by a former member on here (info is in the FAQs) about his experiments with S3 suspension...

I am happy with the way my car handles but the front is a little crashy hence going for the H&R's else I would be looking at replacing the lot with KW V1 or V2 coilovers... springs were a cheaper option at this time :)

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the info, The tables look to be the decider in this case ?

So , From the tables , rear camber , for a 23/24 mm drop in height , is pointing more to the - 2 deg zone . [ -2 ' 8'' ] -1,5'' showing for 20 mm ............that would explain as to why , with the lager 'errors' as compared to the standard, the tyre's are not showing much in the way of scrubbing , close to what it should be .. drifts reasonably on a parallel track under load ... unlike before , back end would break away ..[ fitting the knoi pack stopped this , no longer has diagonal roll ]

The fronts are close to standard at -58 seconds , that's inside the tolerance shown on the print out , still need to loose 1 deg each side ..ish , which is more than the drop should cause

So next is to find some one , who knows what there doing to set the thing up , -58 front , - 2 back

Tnx-G