What camber do people run front and rear on a lowered S3?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Ive just finished Poly bushing and machining my spare wishbones ready to be fitted,
At the moment im running 2.5 degree as its as far as the bottom ball joint will allow with the ride height and standard wish bones,

I have adjustable rear tie bars too.
How the car is now it handels well when pushed but it eats the inside edge on the tyres,
Im fitting 18's soon with more expensive tyres so i want to sort the camber,
Im told the fact im using spacers will have been making the problem worse?

Just over a degree negative on the front and about 1.5 degrees negative on the rear...

Are you sure you are running 2.5 deg neg on the front? my ball joints were pulled out as far as I could get them and ended up about 1.4ish deg one side and 1.3ish deg the other so settled on 1.3 ish (although I think it was near 1.2 ish by the time they had played about...

There is some info in the stickies about this too... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/4595-star-performance-testing-day-%96-pt9.html

Glen only managed 1.3deg negative... he had the rear set at 1 deg neg on the rear too...

<tuffty/>

I was told so yes...
Some people do say it looks a little mad. Im used to it now. but they may have told me wrong readings?
The said ball joint holes are as far in as they can be , so ive slotted my spare pair slightly to hopefully allow enough adjustment to not eat my tyres

After reading the FAQ, just today had my S3 8L re-setup as follows -

305mm ride height (input as 315mm due to a restriction in the Hunter software)
Front camber -1.40deg
Front toe -0.02deg (toe out)
Front total toe -0.04deg
Rear camber -1.00deg
Rear toe 0.00deg (parallel)

Drives much better than before, has significantly reduced the understeer. I think wheel spacers will exaggerate tyre wear too. I'm not running any (yet).
:racer:

Last edited:
Surely more camber on the front than the rear is a good thing? (handling wise) I dont know too much about it other than listening to ex racing drivers commentate on the btcc etc. and earwigging on paddock conversations, but I remember something about the front wheel drive btcc cars use around 4 on the front and 1.5 maybe 2 on the rear.

Could be talking out my small donkey though

I was inside at my local shop today and made ​​a full aligniment.

I got B8, H & R 25mm, 22mm Neuspeed front, 19mm Neuspeed rear,Forge adjustable rear tie bar mounted on the bottom.

The paper with the results showed the final results=

Rear axle
Camber: -2.17 (is not it a bit much?) set point -2.08 +/- 0.20
Toe: +0.15/+0.09

Front axle
Caster20: +6.59/+7.12
Camber: -0.48/-0.42
Toe: +0.01/+0.02

The only strange thing is rear camber right?
Apparently they screwed adjustable tie bars at the bottom. However, they can leave the car with -2.17 rear camber? Should I just run and be happy or should I do something about it?

There is info about good base settings in the stickies but over 2 deg neg camber seems a lot... I had mine set too 0.5 deg negative... they may also need to adjust the rear arms by undoing the 4 bolts on each mount to get the toe back in at the back as it will adjust when winding the camber in with the tie bars...

<tuffty/>

I have mounted my tie bars on the bottom. Heard that many mounted his on the upper but not heard anything about having the bottom will be a problem.

But the tie bars are bolted all the way to the bottom. So what is there to do? Im not sure I really understand what you mean?

Okay, thanks!

It must be that I have to move them to the top then, I just cant understand how other people can mount them on the bottom and still adjust....

Does this mean I will Please do another full alignment again after I moved the arms?

Nobody ?
I really need some quick answers !
If you cannot get the required settings there are 3 possible reasons
1 something is bent
2 something is worn (most likely the trailing arm bushes)
3 Assuming the tie bars are good, maybe the chassis wants moving,or move the tie bars, did you get a thrust angle report?

Oh and by the way this is someone else's thread you may want to start a new one...:icon_thumright: